Read 4936 times

Re: Itís already hot
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 03:44:41 pm »
I'm still rolling in with a jacket because I have to catch my bus at 7:30am and at that time it's still annoyingly cold.  But yes BRING ON THE HEAT!!   I HATE THE COLD AND WHAT IT DOES TO MY SKIN  :cry:
Piggydee is about to go from ashy to classy in a few days!

I understand what you're saying, but I still stand by my point.
18 degrees out.
Coats on.
Full train.
There is no way anyone there is honestly thinking "Oh man, it's cold. I wish the HEAT WAS ON."
True, but a lot of women have different temperature preferences and are often more sensitive to temperature fluctuations. They are also more conscious of their skin and makeup and so on and also how important dress and everything is.

Also, the low is going to be around 10 and people might be staying out late tonight. And a high of 21 isn't that high, it just feels warmer because we're used to the cold.

Not trying to white knight or play the privilege card here, but it's important to stop and think about the factors involved in this issue before diving head long into things. I mean, I didn't always know about these things either, so it finding out about it made me see things a lot differently and understand the situation better.

was wondering how long it'd take for 1950s backyard dad to turn up...

air-conditioning? electricity?  i don't need no electricity, got my push-mower....

Dude, this isn't 1950s dad, this is called being aware of everyone's different preferences and the variety of opinion that exists out there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:46:55 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 04:01:16 pm »
I actually like the warm weather so long as Iím prepared for it  :laugh:

Whatís everyoneís experience been with working during the summer? Do the Hagwons ever allow you to dress for the weather and are they as stingy with the air con as people say? I know people are prone to exaggerate the negatives on here but surely you canít be expected to keep the air con off and be in a shirt and long trousers when itís 35-40 degrees and the humidityís off the charts.

Also when is the peak summertime here? And how long does it usually last?

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 04:03:22 pm »
New guy seems pleasant.
Why is this fat balding cracker even in my country ㅋㅋㅋㅋ You can always leave move back to your cheeseland. I am guessing you have too much student debt?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 04:10:10 pm »
Why is this fat balding cracker even in my country ㅋㅋㅋㅋ You can always leave move back to your cheeseland. I am guessing you have too much student debt?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBD86aQwNFs&feature=youtu.be&t=101
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 04:19:37 pm »
New guy seems pleasant.
Bye. Don't come back.

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 04:26:22 pm »
I actually like the warm weather so long as Iím prepared for it  :laugh:

Whatís everyoneís experience been with working during the summer? Do the Hagwons ever allow you to dress for the weather and are they as stingy with the air con as people say? I know people are prone to exaggerate the negatives on here but surely you canít be expected to keep the air con off and be in a shirt and long trousers when itís 35-40 degrees and the humidityís off the charts.

Also when is the peak summertime here? And how long does it usually last?
It will vary from place to place.

Rules can also vary according to gender. In almost all offices, men cannot wear shorts period.

Just get a polo shirt and some comfortable pants and you'll be fine. If you get the right pants, it will be almost the same as wearing shorts. Just make sure everything is either cotton or some high-tech cooling fabric. And wear an undershirt. I know it's another layer, but it actually makes you cooler and helps with sweat. Most places will have the A/C but some won't. It's fine, you can deal.

A few people will carry on about how they're on the verge of death and 30 degrees is inhumane and insufferable. The thing is that if you told them there was sex with a hot chick or free beer inside of some bar that was 30 degrees, none of them would notice or care, so it's 90% mental. Just discipline and train your mind and you'll be fine. It can take time and there's nothing wrong with that.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 04:38:19 pm »
A few people will carry on about how they're on the verge of death and 30 degrees is inhumane and insufferable. The thing is that if you told them there was sex with a hot chick or free beer inside of some bar that was 30 degrees, none of them would notice or care, so it's 90% mental. Just discipline and train your mind and you'll be fine. It can take time and there's nothing wrong with that.
But you often talk about the variation in different ethnicity temperature preferences.
Wouldn't it also hold true that people with northern European genetics not be able to handle heat, in the same way that all your black friends in Detroit, could?
I like to think I'm a pretty tolerant guy. I mediate daily, broke my arm and elbow and dealt with the pain until I was forced to go to hospital, even noise doesn't get to me as much as does some people, i can deal with the cold no problem. Heat, especially humid heat, I can not deal with. It switches something on in my brain and I get angry, can't focus. It isn't mental. Just like your minority friends dislike of the cold isn't mental either.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 04:46:24 pm »
Heat, especially humid heat, I can not deal with. It switches something on in my brain and I get angry, can't focus. It isn't mental. Just like your minority friends dislike of the cold isn't mental either.

Actually, if you told his minority friends that there was sex with hot chicks or free beer in a 0 degree room, none of them would notice or care.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 04:52:28 pm »
Actually, if you told his minority friends that there was sex with hot chicks or free beer in a 0 degree room, none of them would notice or care.

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 04:56:09 pm »
Heat, especially humid heat, I can not deal with. It switches something on in my brain and I get angry, can't focus. It isn't mental. Just like your minority friends dislike of the cold isn't mental either.
A lot of it is conditioning, but yes there might be a physiological response as well. Although, this can be improved upon (although perhaps it will always persist).  If you can't handle it due to genetics, then well, try and deal as best you can. I dunno, get one of those jackets with the A/C built into them from Japan or something.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:57:52 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 04:58:41 pm »
ah enjoying this weather right now until the horrible humidity comes in the summer to destroy us all

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 06:09:52 pm »
move back to your cheeseland
Obligatory random screeny incomin' :cheesy:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:12:44 pm by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 06:49:00 pm »
The last two summers have been hotter than most. The summer of '94 will always be the hottest in my memory because we didn't have A/C in the boarding house I was living in. Those were long hot nights. With the proliferation of A/C these days, summers are very bearable.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 07:05:54 pm »

I know this isnít even close to what I can expect in summer, does this just mean Iím going to be a sweaty mess for the next few months.

Teaching indoors in the US in the summer:

Teaching in Korea indoors in the summer:

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 07:10:08 pm »

For the umpteenth time in the past few weeks, I've had my students come into class screeching "teeachaaaaah, aircooon, huuut!" These are a group of guys, who've just came from playing soccer or P.E, with their coats on.... and they're still wearing the damn coats.

If you spent more time around Koreans like Steelrails does, you'd learn about the yearly Korean ritual of Sulegibong, invented by King Sejong the Great, where Koreans have their puffy down jackets surgically attached to their skin in September, only to be removed in early June.

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 07:12:08 pm »
But you often talk about the variation in different ethnicity temperature preferences.
Wouldn't it also hold true that people with northern European genetics not be able to handle heat, in the same way that all your black friends in Detroit, could?
I like to think I'm a pretty tolerant guy. I mediate daily, broke my arm and elbow and dealt with the pain until I was forced to go to hospital, even noise doesn't get to me as much as does some people, i can deal with the cold no problem. Heat, especially humid heat, I can not deal with. It switches something on in my brain and I get angry, can't focus. It isn't mental. Just like your minority friends dislike of the cold isn't mental either.

It's cuz you're from New Zealand where it rarely gets over like 20C, and half of the year it's cold and miserable. I'm from Florida so when it's 30 I'm like "this is just starting to get interesting." Kiwis be like "OH GOD KILL ME NOW."

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 07:54:18 pm »

I grew up on the East Coast of USA and went to university in upstate NY and lived in Vermont for a spell.  When I relocated to Texas I was aghast at how the earth could scientifically get that hot without anyone dying.  The heat and humidity was unbearable.  Before I moved I took an exam for the Sheriff's department.  It was the middle of July.  It involved a written test  followed by a physical agility test and a run (forget how long).  Well, I got there at 7:30am expecting to do all the physical stuff first while it was still functionally cool enough for someone to survive.  When we sat down to take the written test I made the mistake of asking the moderator why we aren't doing the run now while the weather is still bearable.  All I got back was a snicker and, "What's your name boy?"  "Okay, sit down and shut up Yankee".  I think it took me three days to cool off after that run.

Texas was miserable and that's the reason I ended up in Korea, only to realize that Texas summers had ruined my ability to deal with cold temperatures (which I used to relish) and Korean summers are shorter, but just as hot and humid.  I'm doubly screwed now thanks to Texas and if that state exploded into a fiery ash of volcanic magma I wouldn't even bat an eye.  I get what seems like four weeks of favorable temperatures and the rest of the time it's either too hot or too cold.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 08:32:45 pm »
i went back to england in march. it was fairly chilly, maybe it topped out about 16 degrees (well, before wind chill). people were walking around in shorts/tshirts in 12 degree weather though -- something i probably would have done before i moved to korea. i was wearing a fair few layers, and couldn't get how people didn't feel cold

so, it's just what you get used to i guess

having said that, i'll never stop sweating my **** off in summer here

edit: why is ti.ts cencored but cunts isn't?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:40:23 pm by oglop »

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 08:33:45 pm »
New guy seems pleasant.

Yeah, he sent me a little message too. Where'd this asswipe come from?

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:17 pm »
Teaching indoors in the US in the summer:

Yeah, as a man back in the states in a shirt and tie, I'd think the A/C was set perfectly too. Of course significant numbers of other people might be bringing in blankets and hoodies. They might see the Korean office set at 25-26 as perfect while the US office at 18-20 as an ice box.

I do think this applies more along gender lines than ethnic in the end. A LOT of men, regardless of background, "run hot". I've had 3 different Korean male supervisors over the past 4 years and they all blasted the A/C and the female staff would always bring in blankets.

That being said, Korean schools can get damn hot and it doesn't matter what your gender or background is if the principal is trying to skimp on the A/C.