Read 6098 times

Re: Itís already hot
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2019, 11:10:58 am »
Right now I'm not even worried about the heat... what is bothering me is what seems like an early, onset rainy season. :'(

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2019, 11:18:08 am »
Right now I'm not even worried about the heat... what is bothering me is what seems like an early, onset rainy season. :'(

Thought, I read that it's already a week late?

« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2019, 11:49:48 am »

Last year was like an old school style raining season with proper rain for days on end, because the three or four years prior to that were terrible, just a day here and there, so to have a proper raining season again is very welcome.  But I doubt it'll materialise though.    :sad:

« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2019, 11:56:00 am »

Last year was like an old school style raining season with proper rain for days on end, because the three or four years prior to that were terrible, just a day here and there, so to have a proper raining season again is very welcome.  But I doubt it'll materialise though.    :sad:

I hope it means I'll get a proper winter this year. 38<

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2019, 12:18:10 pm »
Thank goodness I live right next to a 24 hour laundromat...I can actually get my clothes dried this summer.

« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2019, 12:38:14 pm »
,so to have a proper raining season again is very welcome.  But I doubt it'll materialise though.    :sad:
Ronnie speaks the truth here.

I for one, am all for a robust rainy season.

Anyone who has had agriculture as part of their lives understands this. Only stupid city folk complain about the rain as some kind of inconvenience. Of course there is a limit to the rain- don't want things to flood, but better a healthy amount of rain than that 3-4 year dry stretch.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2019, 02:31:41 pm »

Maybe true where you are but on a nationwide scale, it was the shortest monsoon in decades and also weaker than average. It was the lightest one that I can remember in 10 years.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2019, 02:36:41 pm »

This time it's not early. It might seem early because the last few years it was late. Now it's about a week late to Jeju and kind of on time to arrive to the mainland. It normally arrives to Jeju around June 15th and 20th and a week later to the rest of the country.
Although, just South of Seoul where I'm at, I can't really say we are in the monsoon proper. All we had was a few raindrops so far.  The humidity is up though...

« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2019, 04:00:49 pm »
I have to say as far as 32 degree days in Korea go, this one was pretty nice. Dry with a breeze. Even ol whatshisface77 probably had a good time.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2019, 11:08:46 pm »
,so to have a proper raining season again is very welcome.  But I doubt it'll materialise though.    :sad:
Ronnie speaks the truth here.

I for one, am all for a robust rainy season.

Anyone who has had agriculture as part of their lives understands this. Only stupid city folk complain about the rain as some kind of inconvenience. Of course there is a limit to the rain- don't want things to flood, but better a healthy amount of rain than that 3-4 year dry stretch.
Yea, flooding is such an inconvenience.

The farmer in the dell
Hi-ho, the derry-oÖ
The farmer in the dell

« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2019, 12:07:13 am »
Yes, because seasonal rains in Korea have equated to catastrophic floods across the country that bring everything to a stand still.

Yes you can get a mudslide if you build your house on the side of a mountain. But that is a small place to pay for having arable land and avoiding desertification.

You do realize that much of the fertile land of the planet depends on strong, seasonal rains, right?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2019, 07:22:33 am »
Yes, because seasonal rains in Korea have equated to catastrophic floods across the country that bring everything to a stand still.

Yes you can get a mudslide if you build your house on the side of a mountain. But that is a small place to pay for having arable land and avoiding desertification.

You do realize that much of the fertile land of the planet depends on strong, seasonal rains, right?
Already forgotten about the floods in Seoul? In Busan? How about the (at least) 28 people who died? Just an inconvenience, you say?

Farmer John, get your hands off your daughter!

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2019, 08:05:25 am »
It has been unseasonably cool in the mountains of Gangwondo.  I was surprised when I heard about the heat wave in Seoul this weekend because it has been hovering around 20 here for the past few days.
It's been lovely. I even had to wear a jacket this morning.

« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2019, 01:51:12 pm »
Already forgotten about the floods in Seoul? In Busan? How about the (at least) 28 people who died? Just an inconvenience, you say?

You mean the once in a century floods that caused landslides are the reason we should root for less rain bordering on drought the other 99? Floods from monsoons can kill dozens. They also feed millions.

Yes, we need rain for agriculture and more rain is generally a good thing. Food doesn't magically materialize at the supermarket.

I take it you don't know much about the history of Egypt.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2019, 03:01:23 pm »
I have to say as far as 32 degree days in Korea go, this one was pretty nice. Dry with a breeze. Even ol whatshisface77 probably had a good time.

I must say I have enjoyed the lack of humidity.  Mr.  De@ssh0le must approve surely.  Some air con at school in my room in the afternoons and a cooler evening which has been great for some bike rides. 

Anyways, kids, the rest of the month looks to have more rain on and off starting tomorrow (Wednesday).  We'll see how rainy it actually is. 

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2019, 07:41:06 am »

You mean the once in a century floods that caused landslides are the reason we should root for less rain bordering on drought the other 99? Floods from monsoons can kill dozens. They also feed millions.

Yes, we need rain for agriculture and more rain is generally a good thing. Food doesn't magically materialize at the supermarket.

I take it you don't know much about the history of Egypt.
Hundreds dead and faux farmer continues to call it an inconvenience.  Flooding is up 50% in the last decade; it's not a once in a century phenomenon.

If agriculture is so gosh darned important, why aren't you back home on the farm?

My dress shirts are made of Egyptian cotton.