Read 6099 times

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
Itís already hot
« on: April 17, 2019, 02:21:13 pm »
Coming from the U.K., these recent temperatures of 20-25 degrees is equivalent to a GOOD British summer. I canít believe Iím seeing people walking around in jackets and coats?? I even had an 아줌마 comment on my choice of clothing in the supermarket because I was in shorts and a t-shirt when it was 23 degrees. Do Korean people just not feel the heat??

I know this isnít even close to what I can expect in summer, does this just mean Iím going to be a sweaty mess for the next few months. Or just reassure me that Iím going to adapt to the upcoming heat and will eventually laugh at anything below 30.

Re: Itís already hot
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 02:26:12 pm »
bad news:  it will only get worse.  i started my first day at a middle school in june, long ago.  i decided to make a good impression on my first day by wearing a light blue shirt.  by about 10am, certain areas on my shirt had become dark blue.  after that, i decided that light pastel colours were not a good idea.  the worst part of Korean summers are the nights.  horrible sticky pillows and a wet neck.   :cry:

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 02:36:09 pm »
Coming from the U.K., these recent temperatures of 20-25 degrees is equivalent to a GOOD British summer. I canít believe Iím seeing people walking around in jackets and coats?? I even had an 아줌마 comment on my choice of clothing in the supermarket because I was in shorts and a t-shirt when it was 23 degrees. Do Korean people just not feel the heat??

I know this isnít even close to what I can expect in summer, does this just mean Iím going to be a sweaty mess for the next few months. Or just reassure me that Iím going to adapt to the upcoming heat and will eventually laugh at anything below 30.

HAHAHAHA! You're going to be a hot mess. Pun intended. This is just the beginning, just wait two more months...

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:41:07 pm »
 ;D
These FOBs.

I used to plan my walking commute by hopping in different air-conditioned stores along the way buying a little something everywhere. Worst part was having to cross the road with `100m of sweltering tarmac roasting you. No shorts allowed either at my hagwon...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:47:18 pm by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 02:43:30 pm »
This is my 7th year and I'm still waiting to adapt. Summers here are brutal.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 02:48:40 pm »
Summers here are deeply unpleasant. But... I really have to question anyone who's saying this weather right now is 'hot.'

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 02:50:16 pm »
Top 5 reasons I wouldn't want to live here forever

1. Air Pollution
2. The summers fuckin suuuuuck
3. The driving
4. Can't think of another 2
5. Don't like seeing so many bowl cuts in my daily life.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 02:52:06 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Time hit the gym Pump that iron

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 02:54:08 pm »
Ondol culture has ruined an entire country.  If it's not 28 degrees then it's not warm. Better wear a coat.

I went to Cheonan on Line 1 this Saturday and it was 18 degrees out.

18 degrees is a decent temperature. I don't care where you're from. It's not hot, it's not cold. It's a completely middle of the road, could go either way situ (unless you're from Lapland or Dubai).

All the Koreans are wearing coats on the train. All of us are IN a train, therefore our body heat is still contained within the train. The train was full, not packed. All seats were taken and each carriage had 15 people standing.

So, what does the conductor do? Turn on the heat. Like, Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What, you can't handle a train ride at 21 degrees? You're wearing a  bloody coat. You're surrounded by people.

NO, it needs to be 30 degrees in this beeyotch.

WHY
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 02:56:56 pm »
Well every country has pros cons

1. Air Pollution
3. The driving
[/quot

well here is top 5 things wrong with your country
1)  High crime rate mass shooting
2)  Drug infested society
3)  Racial hate crime
4)  Way too many fat people taking too many spaces
5)  Way too many homless junkies asking you for 5 bucks every 5 minutes !!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:10:02 pm by bonker12 »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 02:59:46 pm »
It feels close to home during Korean summer, but Florida just can't quite be beat here in terms of sweltering heat
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 03:02:31 pm »
Well every country has pros cons

1. Air Pollution
3. The driving
[/quot
PLEASE LEARN HOW TO USE THE QUOTE SYSTEM
1. Air Pollution
3. The driving
well here is top 5 things wrong with your country
1)  High crime rate mass shooting
2)  Drug infested society
3)  Racial hate crime
4)  Way too many fat people taking too many spaces
5)  Way too many homless junkies asking you for 5 bucks every 5 minutes !!!
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 03:09:22 pm »
Ondol culture has ruined an entire country.  If it's not 28 degrees then it's not warm. Better wear a coat.

No truer words have been spoken, this obsession with gizmos and technology to solve problems drives me bonkers.

For the umpteenth time in the past few weeks, I've had my students come into class screeching "teeachaaaaah, aircooon, huuut!" These are a group of guys, who've just came from playing soccer or P.E, with their coats on.... and they're still wearing the damn coats.
I'm aware that air pollution is a concern when opening the windows, but if you've no qualms about playing soccer outside for 40min, I'd assume you'd have no problem opening a window.

Another concern is the absolute stink of these kids. A caught my CT almost gagging. She explained that she constantly pleas for the boys to freshen up/change or wear deodorant, yet seems to fall on deaf ears. Yep, load, obnoxious, stinky, mildly retarded and with a haircut resembling a penis, Korean mom's, lock up your daughters.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 03:20:44 pm »
It's a free country
Ah, yes, the old,
:police: Here is a view I hold. I'll explain why, give you some anecdotal evidence and, hopefully, provide some insight into why I think this way.
 :afro: HURR DURR, IT'S A FREE COUNTRY

because Koreans don't want to get tanned
What on Earth does this have to do with being warm or not?
 :afro: Don't wanna get tanned, better turn the heat on on a subway car. Leave your winter coats on in a train, don't wanna get tanned

You butchered the quote system once, and that's fine, you're new here. You've done it a second time now.

You have also used the age-old argument, "It's a free country!" Well done.

And, you think wearing a coat on a train prevents sun tans.

Either you 're a subpar troll or you're genuinely a bit thick.
I have yet to decide.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 03:25:50 pm »
Yup, different people from around the world have different preferences when it comes to temperature. Welcome to living in another country.

It seems every year I have to post this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpVtqn71AQ

Some of us figured this out when we had friends and lived with people of different backgrounds back home. Others of us are figuring it out now. You can point out kids in coats asking to turn on the aircon and stuff and that's fine, but recognize that your temperature preferences are probably NOT normal when you consider the billions of black, brown, and yellow people around the world and how many of them grew up without A/C.

Ever notice how black people back home always bring coats to the mall and the movies? Yeah.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:45 pm »
I'm still rolling in with a jacket because I have to catch my bus at 7:30am and at that time it's still annoyingly cold.  But yes BRING ON THE HEAT!!   I HATE THE COLD AND WHAT IT DOES TO MY SKIN  :cry:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 03:31:38 pm »
Yup, different people from around the world have different preferences when it comes to temperature. Welcome to living in another country.
I understand what you're saying, but I still stand by my point.

18 degrees out.
Coats on.
Full train.

There is no way anyone there is honestly thinking "Oh man, it's cold. I wish the HEAT WAS ON."

Maybe they aren't as hot as they'd like, that's a fair argument.

In that case? Suck it up. It's 21 and you want 23? Too bad. Save the energy. There's 1000 people on this train, you don't cater to the 7 people who are mildly uncomfortable.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 03:31:55 pm »
It seems every year I have to post this...
Some of us figured this out when we had friends and lived with people of different backgrounds back home. Others of us are figuring it out now. You can point out kids in coats asking to turn on the aircon and stuff and that's fine, but recognize that your temperature preferences are probably NOT normal when you consider the billions of black, brown, and yellow people around the world and how many of them grew up without A/C.

Ever notice how black people back home always bring coats to the mall and the movies? Yeah.

was wondering how long it'd take for 1950s backyard dad to turn up...

air-conditioning? electricity?  i don't need no electricity, got my push-mower....

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 03:36:21 pm »
New guy seems pleasant.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 03:38:30 pm »
I'm still rolling in with a jacket because I have to catch my bus at 7:30am and at that time it's still annoyingly cold.  But yes BRING ON THE HEAT!!   I HATE THE COLD AND WHAT IT DOES TO MY SKIN  :cry:
Piggydee is about to go from ashy to classy in a few days!

I understand what you're saying, but I still stand by my point.
18 degrees out.
Coats on.
Full train.
There is no way anyone there is honestly thinking "Oh man, it's cold. I wish the HEAT WAS ON."
Women have different temperature preferences and are often more sensitive to temperature fluctuations. They are also more conscious of their skin and makeup and so on and also how important dress and everything is.

Also, the low is going to be around 10 and people might be staying out late tonight. And a high of 21 isn't that high, it just feels warmer because we're used to the cold.

Not trying to white knight or play the privilege card here, but people really need to stop and think about the factors involved in this issue before diving head long into things.

was wondering how long it'd take for 1950s backyard dad to turn up...

air-conditioning? electricity?  i don't need no electricity, got my push-mower....

Dude, this isn't 1950s dad, this is called being aware of everyone's different preferences and the variety of opinion that exists out there.