Read 2173 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Are Korean Newspapers Doing Lots of Drugs Themselves? (i.e. BTS)
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2019, 11:47:01 am »
Saturday Night Live Ratings Hit an All-Time Low Following BTS Performance
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/04/17/snl-bts-performance-ratings/
Saturday Night Live ratings took a nosedive this past weekend, with a performance from BTS failing to connect with American viewers.
...who watch SNL.

Iím sure they if they did halftime at an NFL game the fans would be disappointed too.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2019, 12:28:37 pm »
Are they big enough to do an NFL halftime show? In my opinion they are popular in Asia and not so much in the United States.

There's a large Asian American population in the USA ... but most aren't football fans ... maybe because there aren't (m)any Asians playing in the NFL?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »
Are they big enough to do an NFL halftime show? In my opinion they are popular in Asia and not so much in the United States.

There's a large Asian American population in the USA ... but most aren't football fans ... maybe because there aren't (m)any Asians playing in the NFL?
My point. Iím assuming the BTS fan and SNL fan circles in the Venn diagram do not overlap much.

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2019, 08:19:07 am »
Saturday Night Live Ratings Hit an All-Time Low Following BTS Performance
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/04/17/snl-bts-performance-ratings/
Saturday Night Live ratings took a nosedive this past weekend, with a performance from BTS failing to connect with American viewers.

This is probably more that Western kpop fans have bought into the disposable nature of the genre, and don't have any loyalty to bands that have been popular for more than a few weeks. It's annoying superficial music made by a factory process. Kpop groups don't even have any staying power in Korea. One day all the girls are screaming over the hip new group, then the next week they turn against them and consider that group lame and move on to the next one.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2019, 01:39:14 pm »

Dude, what are you talking about? Tons of Asians love football. Samoans are disproportionately represented in the NFL.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2019, 03:01:44 pm »
The world is 60% Asian, yet only 1.59% of NFL players are (most of whom are Samoan?).

Incidentally, the world is only 10% black, yet that is the majority of players on all the NFL teams.

https://www.besttickets.com/blog/nfl-player-census-2014/

This shows 0% of NFL fans to be Asian (so it was either less than 1% or a bad survey?).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/289952/distribution-of-nfl-regular-season-tv-audience-by-race-or-ethnicity/

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2019, 05:18:40 pm »
The world is 60% Asian, yet only 1.59% of NFL players are (most of whom are Samoan?).

Incidentally, the world is only 10% black, yet that is the majority of players on all the NFL teams.

https://www.besttickets.com/blog/nfl-player-census-2014/

This shows 0% of NFL fans to be Asian (so it was either less than 1% or a bad survey?).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/289952/distribution-of-nfl-regular-season-tv-audience-by-race-or-ethnicity/
The only countries that play gridiron to any significant degree are the U.S. and Canada. You don't figure in the world population.

As far as fans- Your survey sucks.

If you want to know whether Asian-Americans like football, just go to any college campus. If it's a football school, you'll find plenty of Asian football fans. Heck, talk to Koreans who went to college in the US. If they went to a football school, chances are they became football fans to some degree.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2019, 06:26:06 pm »
You think? I'd say Asians / Asian Americans are under represented on both the field and in the stands.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2019, 07:01:54 pm »
Found this online:
"Asian Americans are the least likely to be fans or TV viewers"
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/304927/file-2395712248-pdf/Reports/NFL_Fans_Audience_Report_Q1_2015.pdf?submissionGuid=e7c143b7-d707-41eb-b9ca-24d2264b2766
BUT... there are A LOT of Asian American fans; more than I expected.
So, I'll admit I was wrong on this one.
Personally, I think cheering for sports teams / watching sports is a waste of time. I'm surprised so many are into it.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2019, 09:23:23 am »
Would Samoans be classed as Asians? Or any Polynesians for that matter...
We don't say Native Americans are Asian, even though that's where they emigrated from long ago. Seems a bit of a reach to say Samoans are Asian.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2019, 10:40:32 am »
We don't say Native Americans are Asian, even though that's where they emigrated from long ago. Seems a bit of a reach to say Samoans are Asian.
Asian/Pacific Islander has been the traditional grouping

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2019, 11:41:12 am »

I understand that. Though i read something recently that Pacific Islanders don't like being grouped together.
But using the disproportionate numbers of Samoan players in the NFL as a sign of Asian fandom....
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2019, 01:02:36 pm »
I'm not a fan of BTS, and while I used to be an rabid Kpop fan, these days my investment in the genre has diminshed a fair bit. That said, currently BTS ft. Halsey is #14 on Spotify's US Top 50 chart, which is impressive for a Kpop song imo. No idea where it peaked though.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2019, 07:55:07 pm »

By who, people who don't know what they're talking about? Samoans are polynesians, not asians.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2019, 10:48:52 pm »
By who, people who don't know what they're talking about? Samoans are polynesians, not asians.
Hey, it's not my call. I think it's a bit off as well, but that's what the box said all those years I've had to check it.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2019, 09:00:58 am »
Peak positions: https://kworb.net/spotify/artist/3Nrfpe0tUJi4K4DXYWgMUX.html

Woah I love data and that's super neat, thanks! Looks like it peaked at 4 in the US, which is even more impressive. Good for them!
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2019, 02:30:27 pm »
Really???  Western music must have seriously cratered since I lived in the west.
A bunch of pretty boys who don't write music or play instruments make it to
number one on a music chart?

Damn, OK. I stand corrected.

I've done a bit of reading up on this and the people they interview from the West that like K-POP do so for several reasons.  1. they like the message in the songs.  Many of BTS' songs are about caring and loving yourself.  Apparently, this current generation really needs to hear that message.  Way different than my Nirvana generation, that's for sure.  2.  Because of YouTube, today's generation claims that music isn't just about listening anymore.  It's the overall experience and they say that the production value of Korean pop videos are off the charts good.  They enjoy the visual style that goes along with the music.

I'm not saying it's good or bad.  I'm only saying that perhaps you should make an effort to learn about something you are criticizing.  Different generations have had love affairs with music for different reasons, and this isn't that much different than why disco was a craze.  For me to criticize a band because they don't play there own instruments or sing well would be ridiculously hypocritical as I listened to grunge rock and rap.  I didn't see Notorious Big playing any instruments but i'll sing the eff out of "Super Nintendo Sega Genesis / when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this".