Read 6103 times

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Tell me a little-known fact.
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2019, 10:21:19 am »
I can't remember where I heard this, maybe Bill Bryson. The guy who Mt Everest is named after (A surveyor called George Everest) actually pronounced his name 'Eve' (as in Christmas Eve) rest, so his name has been mispronounced for years.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2019, 11:22:36 am »
I can't remember where I heard this, maybe Bill Bryson. The guy who Mt Everest is named after (A surveyor called George Everest) actually pronounced his name 'Eve' (as in Christmas Eve) rest, so his name has been mispronounced for years.
i thought it was because when you get to the top you want to 'av a rest

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2019, 11:30:24 am »
Flagged.

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2019, 11:52:39 am »

:laugh:

>:(  Dinosaur and man never co-existed? 
 :undecided:  They must have, who gave them all them names.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2019, 01:11:40 pm »
99% of people you meet cannot answer this factual question:

WHERE ARE CAMELS FROM? On which continent did they originate?
Answer: N. America

And, no, not in any desert climate, but the mostly Canadian Arctic, where their hooves evolved to balance on snow not sand, and their storage of back fat (not water - that's a myth) evolved to help them survive a long winter without food.

Well, *technically*, most of the area in North America where camels originated would have been considered a cold climate desert: the Beringia passage from Siberia into North America was (and the remnants of it still are, I guess) super arid, which meant very little snow, which in turn allowed for year round grazing, even during the height of the last glaciation period. This allowed for convenient passage of both people and critters between Asia and the Americas.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beringia

And it wasn't just camels: horses were originally from North America as well, as were wolves, bears, and caribou (reindeer) .
More animals went the opposite direction though: beavers, moose, bison, humans, and mammoths were all originally from Asia.

Interesting about the hump: I always though that camels metabolized the fat to replenish their water as well as for energy, but that isn't the case. They just drink a bajillion litres of water, and it's stored in their bloodstream. Cool.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2019, 01:50:11 pm »
Stephen Fry mentioned it on QI...

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2019, 03:43:01 am »

Great source of trivia!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2021, 09:45:01 am »
The Sahara has been expanding at a rate of 11,000 square kilometers *per year* since 1950.
That's an entire Jamaica worth of desert every year, or a South Korea every 9!

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2021, 09:53:21 am »

Great source of trivia!

Also, Sir Everest didn't even want the peak named after him as he believed that local names should be respected, but his wish wasn't honored because it was claimed that a local name couldn't be confirmed at the time.

It has since been revealed that "Chomolungma" is the local name, but Mount Everest has persisted as the global standard.

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2021, 10:14:30 am »
No, I'm joshing. There's the occasional gold buried here in the banter.  :smiley:

The term "joshing" originates from the story of a guy named Josh Tatum who made a small fortune by misrepresenting Liberty Head nickels as $5 gold pieces (as the story goes, Mr. Tatum lived during the 1800s and supposedly noticed that these nickels were almost the same size and weight as the gold pieces, so he electroplated them and used them to purchase cheap items from hundreds of shops). He was eventually caught but was never prosecuted for some of the more serious crimes against him because, the laws being what they were at the time, there wasn't enough evidence against him to prove intentional deceit.

There's actually a lot of debate on whether or not this Josh Tatum actually existed, and, if he did, if he even lived during the time period in question, but, even so, that's where the term "joshing" comes from. :)

Read up more here if you're curious:

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/fact-or-myth-josh-tatum-and-racketeer-nickels/

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2021, 11:15:52 am »
I hear that Josh Tatum also eventually managed to enroll in and play basketball for the University of Texas. After graduating, he moved back east where he currently litigates with the Chief Justice of Indiana. A man of many talents, I josh you not.