Read 2071 times

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Tell me a little-known fact.
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 12:49:47 pm »
Tormund Giantsbane killed a giant as a child...but is he the only one to have done so at such a tender age?

#nospoilers

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2019, 01:19:06 pm »
Licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets
The World Ends With You

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2019, 01:30:24 pm »
The elephant is the only 4-legged animal with 4 knees.
Nah.
Elephants have 2 knees and 2 elbows just like most other mammals.

They do *appear* to have 4 knees, though.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2019, 01:40:27 pm »

What about regular knobs?
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2019, 02:05:41 pm »

What about regular knobs?

what I want to know is, can you swing a sack of doorknobs?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2019, 02:31:30 pm »
what I want to know is, can you swing a sack of doorknobs?

I'll sack any knob swinger who comes my way.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2019, 02:46:06 pm »
Squid brains are donut-shaped. Their esophagus goes right through the hole.

So if a squid swallows something larger than that hole, it could suffer massive brain damage/death.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2019, 04:48:42 pm »
Squid brains are donut-shaped. Their esophagus goes right through the hole.

So if a squid swallows something larger than that hole, it could suffer massive brain damage/death.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:52:53 am by kyndo »

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2019, 10:15:56 pm »
7 facts on health in the sea of outrageous controversy and muddied perceptions:

1. "Vitamin D" is actually like a hormone, but was miscategorized;

2. Vitamin B12 is stored in the liver for years (about 2-6 years supply), and is by no means a daily, weekly or monthly requirement;

3. Table salt (sodium chloride) is not needed by the body and that form actually harms the functions of several organs and the circulatory system (yes, your body needs some form of sodium: eat your onions!);

4. Peppers are fruit; coffee "beans" are not beans; peanuts are not nuts; bananas are not a great source of potassium;

5. The human body makes all the protein it needs as long as it gets the essential amino acids (we, like horses, gorillas and elephants, don't need to eat any protein whatsoever!);

6. It's better to suntan for minutes at high noon than it is to get the equivalent beneficial UV rays over a longer period of time in the early mornings and late afternoons (because the ratio of healthy to unhealthy UV ray types is greater when the sun is most intensely beating down on us);

7. Fluoride used to be in rat poison and was an industrial byproduct classified as hazardous waste; the U.S. treasury secretary of the 1920's lobbied to turn an expensive effluent of production into a profitable product by getting cities in Michigan and Wisconsin to put it in the water supply.
You sir are a dangerous wielder of half-facts.
1) While "Vitamin D" is a "prehormone", its precourser 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D (1,25(OH)2D) we ingest is essential for health in particular bone growth and healthy immunity.  Get your vitamin D!
2,3,4) Yawn, although bananas are indeed a very good source of potassium, even if there are other, "better" sources.  Also, sodium is quickly depleted from the body, but you don't have to get it from table salt.
5) Horses and elephants have vast digestive tracts which make their metabolism not really on point when compared to humans.  Gorillas actually eat large quantities of protein, from 15 to a whopping 30% of their energy, depending on seasonal availability of foods.  Humans of course can survive without ingesting proteins directly, but this is a challenge for a typical first world person.
6) I'm not all that schooled on this topic, so I'll rely on the Mayo Clinic:
"Avoid the sun during peak hours. Generally, this is between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. regardless of season. These are prime hours for exposure to skin-damaging ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun, even on overcast days."  So BS?
7) Oh, please, fluoride is a poison.  Yeah, if you take in high concentrations, it is.  Decades of research shows fluoridation at correct levels is safe and prevents tooth decay--the CDC has named community water fluoridation one of the 10 greatest public health achievements of the 20th century.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2019, 02:27:23 pm »
I have never made someone vomit from my flatulence but that hasn't stopped me from trying.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2019, 03:56:10 am »
The reason sequoias grow so tall is that they get moisture directly from the atmosphere due to the  climate in northern California.  Trees don't have enough energy to bring water from the ground up that high.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2019, 07:51:36 am »
The reason sequoias grow so tall is that they get moisture directly from the atmosphere due to the  climate in northern California.  Trees don't have enough energy to bring water from the ground up that high.
    It's true that Sequoias can absorb moisture through their leaves (foliar uptake), and that other plant species in northern California do the same, but the reason for it isn't so much because of energy limitations -- root pressure combined with transpiration vacuum can lift water hundreds of feet without much energy expenditure -- but because it's the only readily available source of water for long periods of the year.