Read 1755 times

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
Re: *ASAP* Public elementary school positions in Jeollanamdo (JLP)
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 09:01:57 am »
Haven't public schools pretty much taken on the persona of hagwons?

It is all a joke to them...if the subject were taken seriously, perhaps it would be a different story. 

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 05:05:49 am »
  I definitely think that there are some really positive aspects to teaching in public schools in Korea. But EPIK is not what it was, and that's partly because Wise President Park Geun-hye (or her manager, Choi Sun-shil) felt that the program was largely useless and should be hacked back except in rural areas like this one. The Park administration is largely why EPIK, GEPIK, JLP and so on are as they are, and one reason why the program is so competitive now. That and a one off survey done by President Lee which said EPIK wasn't working.

I heard a rumour that the current government had been forced to or signed up to follow the Park administrations blueprint for public schools till 2021 but I cannot substantiate the rumour.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 02:20:40 pm »
I am not applying, but their education office should renovate or build a nice little house on the islands.  Having a nice little house with insulation, redone wiring, windows, etc or a new one may be expensive, but it will make many foreigners be able to bear life on the islands or the most isolated of rural eups.  Especially islands.  A two bedroom home with a good sized bathroom, open kitchen and living room with a yard and maybe a concrete wall around it would make many choose an isolated island or even a very rural eup.  Would have many foreigners there for many years to come.  I would apply to an island in the future with you if these changes were made and I could have an awesome little insulated and reasonably soundproofed private house with a yard. 

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 10:08:13 am »
I am not applying, but their education office should renovate or build a nice little house on the islands.  Having a nice little house with insulation, redone wiring, windows, etc or a new one may be expensive, but it will make many foreigners be able to bear life on the islands or the most isolated of rural eups.  Especially islands.  A two bedroom home with a good sized bathroom, open kitchen and living room with a yard and maybe a concrete wall around it would make many choose an isolated island or even a very rural eup.  Would have many foreigners there for many years to come.  I would apply to an island in the future with you if these changes were made and I could have an awesome little insulated and reasonably soundproofed private house with a yard. 

That is way too much to expect or dream of.

Let us start small....how about, schools actually have the applicant's resume in front of them, when conducting an interview.

#preparation

So many of these people here cannot figure that out. 

This is Dr. D's time to swoop in and explain how it is not Korea's fault...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:47:29 am by NorthStar »

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 12:22:39 pm »
I've found JLP excellent. Better than EPIK, and far better than hagwon work when it comes to teaching hours, pay, vacation, and administrative support. I'm starting my third year in the same school. Good apartment, nice rural location with bus connections to everywhere. Some co-teachers are totally useless, some irritating, some have become good friends and teaching partners. But if you don't have the classroom management skills to handle a classroom alone, at some point you're going to find yourself in over your head, at any school in Korea. I guess other people haven't had as good an experience as I have. I've certainly never heard of anyone living in a storage container. I guess it's possible my experience will go to hell later on, as principals and vice principals and co-teachers come and go. So it goes, but most JLP teachers I've met seem satisfied.

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 10:03:51 am »
I want to make a few points in response to post in regards to Canadian connections and working in one of the JLP schools.

First, in regards to Canadian connections they are an agency and they get a commission if a native speaker is placed in a school.  I'm not sure how much they get but I'm pretty sure it's generous.  As for getting a job with them it should be quite easy as long as you have a degree and are enthusiastic to work in Korea.  They will interview you and then check your references to make sure that you are a good fit.  Finally, they will try to match you with the best school possible.  When I was there if you wanted to go to a school in the middle of nowhere then you got a rural bonus lol! 

Second, your success at the school is going to depend on a number of factors.  Each school is going to be unique depending on location and who you work with.  Also, if you fail to get along with your principal or don't manage to blend in well then you could be in trouble when it comes to your 'evaluation.'  In a way, your performance will depend more on your relationship with the school rather than you as a teacher.  In fact, you could be a great teacher and do all the work necessary but if your co-teacher doesn't like you then it's going to be tough.  On the other hand, if you get along well then it could be the best job ever!  Personally, I wasn't renewed at my school for upsetting the principal and a colleague of mine once said 'I've worked here for many years and you are the best teacher we've had but your personality is the worst.'  Now, I'm a pretty nice person but I just clashed with my vice principal and she flexed her power at the end of the contract. 

Anyway, it could be a great job or a disaster and wish everybody the best of luck!

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 12:42:30 pm »

That is way too much to expect or dream of.

Let us start small....how about, schools actually have the applicant's resume in front of them, when conducting an interview.

#preparation

So many of these people here cannot figure that out. 

This is Dr. D's time to swoop in and explain how it is not Korea's fault...

I'm just saying if you are going to be total isolated on an island with restrictions on getting off the island, these changes will make it bearable and may even have foreigners volunteering for those positions.  I suspect many will go there and pull runners due to the isolation, especially if they have a tiny room and are stuck there. 

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »
Considering you are going to be placed in a remote and isolated area you'll have to decide if you are suited for that.  Or If I were you I'd rather come and work in a public school in China.  Contact me for more details.

• m.corless
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 10:19:38 pm »
I suspect many will go there and pull runners due to the isolation, especially if they have a tiny room and are stuck there. 

That isn't the case, though. When you're talking about super rural/remote I'm guessing you mean Sinan and parts of Wando, the "ferry-access" spots? Most people who are placed there stay for the year and then transfer to somewhere mainland, even a small city like Mokpo or Yeosu. The others stay for multiple years because they like island-life.