Read 905 times

• canconx
  • Waygookin

• May 05, 2012, 02:06:40 am
    • Toronto ON
**Looking for a spring public school position? Have all of your documents ready to go? Open to suburban and rural areas? ~ We have a couple of positions still available with the Jeollanamdo office of education with April and May (ASAP!) start dates**

Requirements
Be a native English speaker
Passport from Canada, the USA, the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa
Bachelors degree (+ apostille or consulate verification)
Clean criminal record check (+ apostille or consulate verification)
Two reference letters
The desire/ability to leave for Korea ASAP!

Job specifics:
Schedule: 9:00am-5:00pm
Teaching hours: 22 per week
Salary: 2,300,000-2,500,000 KRW per month
Vacation: 26 working days + Korean national holidays
Schools: Public elementary
Housing: non-shared, provided by school (teacher covers utilities)
Airfare: Entrance allowance of 1,300,000 KRW with first pay + Exit allowance of 1,300,000 upon completion of contract
Settlement allowance: 300,000 kRW
Contract length: 1 year (with option to renew)
Orientation: 8 days (accommodations and meals provided)
Locations: Jindo, Wando, Haenam, Gangjin, Yeonggwang, Yeongam, Muan, Jangheung, Sinan, Boseong, Gurye, Hwasun, Hampyeong, Gokseong, Goheung *Placements determined by office of ed

How to apply:
Email teach@canconx.com with your resume and scans of any completed documents with the subject line "Jeollanamdo ASAP" and we will be in touch to set up an interview

Re: *ASAP* Public elementary school positions in Jeollanamdo (JLP)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 04:15:52 am »
  Would I be eligible? I completed a year at a public school there and did not renew my contract.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 04:49:40 am »
Wish you well mate, glad to see you found a nice job now.
green everything

• canconx
  • Waygookin

• Toronto ON
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:26:06 am »
  Would I be eligible? I completed a year at a public school there and did not renew my contract.

I think we received your email and have replied with next steps :)

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 01:43:00 am »
*Placements determined by office of ed

This is a big drawback.

Many people choose jobs because of location. Maybe they have family nearby, a significant other: maybe they like a particular place because they are writing a book about it; maybe they want to be on an island because they are doing an online MA in offshore fishing practices.

There is any number of reasons people want a particular location. Believe it or not, people have a passion for specific locations.

By removing the element of choice from the process, you stop attracting those passionate people and end up with desperados who don't care what happens to them. People with no particular interests who are content to put their future into a lottery. You also increase the likelihood of rending up with people who will quit halfway through because they didn't know what they were getting themselves into as regards isolation and so on.

Catch my drift?

• canconx
  • Waygookin

• Toronto ON
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 05:04:43 am »
*Placements determined by office of ed

This is a big drawback.

Many people choose jobs because of location. Maybe they have family nearby, a significant other: maybe they like a particular place because they are writing a book about it; maybe they want to be on an island because they are doing an online MA in offshore fishing practices.

There is any number of reasons people want a particular location. Believe it or not, people have a passion for specific locations.

By removing the element of choice from the process, you stop attracting those passionate people and end up with desperados who don't care what happens to them. People with no particular interests who are content to put their future into a lottery. You also increase the likelihood of rending up with people who will quit halfway through because they didn't know what they were getting themselves into as regards isolation and so on.

Thanks for your comment!
We certainly understand that location is important for some applicants. It is common practice for public school teachers to be placed by their employer (the office of education) so it's certainly not the route for everyone, but that's why we mention it upfront.

Generally with a JLP application the teacher has an opportunity to list up to five placement preferences within the province and are definitely able to indicate reasons for their preferences (family, studies, history, hobbies, etc). We have had great success with teachers being placed in the areas that they requested, with or without specific reasons. For the reasons you mentioned it is in the best interest of the employer to try to place teachers where they will be happy and successful, so they do their best.

For more specific last minute positions added, there is less opportunity to be picky about location because placements have mostly been confirmed. Rather than "desperados who don't care what happens to them" we're hoping for teachers who are open-minded about a countryside/suburban life in Korea. We think the continuously high renewal rates in the province speak to that as well.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 12:13:01 pm »
JLP teachers pretty much accept that their initial placement is likely to be rural - but they have a lot more leverage from their second contract onward.

It's a solid programme with a highly capable (and personable) provincial coordinator. Highly recommend. 

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 01:11:02 pm »
A friend of mine did JLP about 5 years ago. He ended up in a myun or eup I forgot. There was one bus into town at like 7.30am and one out of town at like 5pm.

For housing the school had converted a shipping container into a one room apartment.  He could touch three of the four walls while laying in bed. There was no shower in the container but the village had a public shower where he would shower every morning with the rice and ginseng farmers. About a month into his contract he started drinking heavily as there was literally nothing else to do the nonghyup grocery store in his village closed at 8pm. He lasted about  3 months. That was the last time I saw him in Korea. Im not sure I would have survived that long, god bless all you rural placements!

T.C.

• Oupa Grey
  • Adventurer

• January 29, 2019, 10:56:47 am
    more
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 05:40:51 pm »
A friend of mine did JLP about 5 years ago. He ended up in a myun or eup I forgot. There was one bus into town at like 7.30am and one out of town at like 5pm.

For housing the school had converted a shipping container into a one room apartment.  He could touch three of the four walls while laying in bed. There was no shower in the container but the village had a public shower where he would shower every morning with the rice and ginseng farmers. About a month into his contract he started drinking heavily as there was literally nothing else to do the nonghyup grocery store in his village closed at 8pm. He lasted about  3 months. That was the last time I saw him in Korea. Im not sure I would have survived that long, god bless all you rural placements!

T.C.

Bloody hell - aint that worth flying half way around the world for.

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 12:12:58 am »
I would highly recommend them as well.  I plan on going back one day, and they're the ones I am going to talk to for my placement.  They support their teachers, and my experience with them was good.

This isn't to say my experience in Korea was all positive, but that's different.  I loved it overall, really miss it.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 07:45:52 pm »
  Yes, these jobs might be excellent, and there may well be some real advantages to rural schools, such as smaller class sizes, a less stressful environment and the chance to give kids more individualized attention. It may be easier in such locations to learn Korean.
  These are all advantages! Korea is a relatively small country, so it should be easy to get to the cities during weekends or holidays. I know at least one friend who is not far from there.
   My question though for the OP is more general: Another friend told me about how she was sidelined by her co-teachers all the time. She would go to her class, and the co-teacher would just disappear after a few moments. Very often the co-teacher would not come to the class at all, for months and months. Co-teachers gave her very little advice or guidance, except to say, "this is not right, change it."
   She found that she was having to do stuff that was usually the co-teacher's job, and she was concerned that the co-teachers were just avoiding their responsibilities.
I was surprised to think that this was happening at all.
But supposing it happened at one of the JLP schools. What action could a native speaking teacher take?

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 11:30:38 am »
" Salary: 2,300,000-2,500,000 KRW per month"

Has there been a contract change and they removed the special category of 2,700,000?
Used to be if you did 2 years at 2.5 then your next contract would be 2.7 base pay a month.

• canconx
  • Waygookin

• Toronto ON
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 12:56:47 am »
   My question though for the OP is more general: Another friend told me about how she was sidelined by her co-teachers all the time. She would go to her class, and the co-teacher would just disappear after a few moments. Very often the co-teacher would not come to the class at all, for months and months. Co-teachers gave her very little advice or guidance, except to say, "this is not right, change it."
   She found that she was having to do stuff that was usually the co-teacher's job, and she was concerned that the co-teachers were just avoiding their responsibilities.
I was surprised to think that this was happening at all.
But supposing it happened at one of the JLP schools. What action could a native speaking teacher take?

There are potentially going to be "good" and "bad" Korean co-teachers all over Korea, unfortunately. Because of the hierarchy of Korean workplaces, we always recommend trying to speak with the co-teacher first to figure out what the problem is. Maybe the teacher thinks they can leave the class because the native English teacher is qualified/experienced enough that they believe they can handle it on their own. Maybe there is a lot of other administrative work that the co-teacher is responsible for that the native English teacher isn't part of. Maybe the Korean teacher just doesn't have the best character. In any case the situation isn't ideal, but how one approaches it might be different based on the reason.  For teachers in not ideal circumstances, try to bring it up as politely and professionally as possible. We are also able to offer more specific advice to our teachers if they encounter situations they aren't comfortable with. If that doesn't work there are English-speaking office of education coordinators in each area that can get in touch with schools. This would be a last resort in a basically unlivable situation because you would essentially be going over the head of your co-teacher and that likely isn't going to strengthen your relationship. The Korean co-teacher contractually should be in the classroom with you at all the times; the extent to which they actively participate may vary. That relationship should be discussed in the beginning to make sure everyone is on the same page, the same as when you create rules for the students.
The part about "having to do stuff that was usually the co-teacher's job" is difficult to comment on. Native English teachers in public schools are responsible for their teaching hours per week as well as any other duties that go along with the general running of English education at their school, including test writing, grading, English competitions, assisting with speeches, planning open classes, preparing for English festivals, etc.  Yes, the Korean teachers should be helping and taking on some of the responsibility, but ultimately this is still part of the English teacher's job.

• canconx
  • Waygookin

• Toronto ON
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 01:01:05 am »

Has there been a contract change and they removed the special category of 2,700,000?
Used to be if you did 2 years at 2.5 then your next contract would be 2.7 base pay a month.

No change, still true!
However if a teacher leaves after obtaining the Special Level and wants to come back, they start at Level 1 again. The 2.7 is only given for the consecutive year after two years at Level 1. With these postings, a new or returning teacher wouldn't be eligible for 2.7 so we don't include it ^^

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 08:10:11 am »
Seems an illogical rule where you have to "re earn" your experience and start from 2.5 again for another 2 years.
Just demonstrates that experience, knowledge, skills, aren't valued.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:05:16 am by kiwikimchi »

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 08:55:32 am »

No change, still true!
However if a teacher leaves after obtaining the Special Level and wants to come back, they start at Level 1 again. The 2.7 is only given for the consecutive year after two years at Level 1. With these postings, a new or returning teacher wouldn't be eligible for 2.7 so we don't include it ^^

Imagine working for JLP for 10 years earning 2.7m not getting a pay rise even for inflation and then leaving to take care of something back home or to improve your teaching skills only later to rejoin the program and be rewarded with a 2.5 salary. Lmao. Savages.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 09:09:34 am »
The Korean co-teacher contractually should be in the classroom with you at all the times; the extent to which they actively participate may vary.

Could the myth be true?  Are we finally getting close to actually seeing this in writing, in a contract?

I've been here five years and over the hundreds of times this has been discussed, nobody has ever been able to provide any proof.  It's the white whale of public school teaching in Korea  :laugh:

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 08:41:34 am »
Based on the downturn of an already poor reputation that weighs on teaching in Korea...why wold anyone want to do this? 

-The prospect of not having a co-teacher in class.
-If said co-teacher is in class, will that be benefit or a bust?
-Very few folks seem to be appreciated for what they do, in this job.
-It is not taken seriously by Koreans (perhaps, that keeps their ego in check...?)

Why?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 08:48:00 am »
You guys are right. Stick to hagwons for 2.1mil and two weeks vacation. :/

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 08:58:25 am »
You guys are right. Stick to hagwons for 2.1mil and two weeks vacation. :/

Haven't public schools pretty much taken on the same persona?