Read 1434 times

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Re: NHL Playoffs
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 11:52:32 am »
Game 5 of the Bruins - Blue Jackets series had possibly the most intense 3rd period I have seen in a very long time. It's a tough series and this was a gigantic win for Boston.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 01:31:12 pm »
Bruins sweep the Hurricanes. I didn't see that coming and the Bruins made it look easy.

Now, who will the beat to win the oldest trophy in professional team sports: The Stanley Cup!

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 08:17:50 am »
Anything can, and often does, happen in hockey.  This has been a great year (depending on your team) to watch.

If Boston wins, it will be the city triple...Red Sox, Patriots and the B's.  That has not happened since...in a long time.  Boston was the second best team in the East, obviously behind TB (they shit the money bed) and are the last of the big dogs from that conference to survive.  They had a very convincing series sweep of Carolina so ...they will be tough.

San Jose....a team that has missed the playoffs only once in the last 15 years, but always falling short (like the Blues of the past and present).  However, they just seem to have an edge they have not had before...I'd like to see Joe T. win a cup.

St. Louis...have not even been to the cup since their EARLY days and since then, only have made the CF's a handful of times.  They seem to want make up for their loss in the CF' against San Jose, a few years ago.  They seem to have a gritty edge, as well. 

Both teams from the West have been truly tested by very good teams. 

I think the winner of the Blues/Sharks series will beat Boston. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:32:52 am by NorthStar »

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 08:54:24 am »
Anything can, and often does, happen in hockey.  This has been a great year (depending on your team) to watch.

If Boston wins, it will be the city triple...Red Sox, Patriots and the B's.  That has not happened since...in a long time.  Boston was the second best team in the East, obviously behind TB (they shit the money bed) and are the last of the big dogs from that conference to survive.  They had a very convincing series sweep of Carolina so ...they will be tough.

San Jose....a team that has missed the playoffs only once in the last 15 years, but always falling short (like the Blues of the past and present).  However, they just seem to have an edge they have not had before...I'd like to see Joe T. win a cup.

St. Louis...have not even been to the cup since their EARLY days and since then, only have made the CF's a handful of times.  They seem to want make up for their loss in the CF' against San Jose, a few years ago.  They seem to have a gritty edge, as well. 

Both teams from the West have been truly tested by very good teams. 

I think the winner of the Blues/Sharks series will beat Boston. 

Boston beat the Blues to win the Cup in 1970 I believe. That may have been their last visit. The Blues were in the first expansion in 1967 and the first couple of years the NHL was split into 2 groups: original 6 and new 6 and one from each made the Cup final. It was terribly skewed.

I'd like to see Thornton win a Cup too. He got his start in Boston but was traded before the B's win in 2011.

However, I really don't think either the Sharks or the Blues can best Boston if the Bruins are firing on all cylinders like they are and their net has a brick wall in front of it.

It has been a helluva playoffs. The best in my memory.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 06:05:02 pm »
There are are several all-time greats in a Bruins-Sharks possible Finals match-up.

Chara, Thornton, Bergeron, Burns, Marchand, Karlsson, Rask, Pavelski, Backes, Vlasic... have all done enough in their careers to continually be all-time draft (ATD) picks or next best all-time minor league draft ((MLD) picks on the Hockey's Future ( HfBoards ) discussion board, where I VanIslander have been involved intensely for the last decade and a half.

(I love Krejci and Couture but even though our all-time drafts go 500-600 players deep, I haven't yet been able to sell other ATD GMs on them. I think this postseason might be the tipping point for at least one of them. - note: we include Soviets like Maltsev and Kharlamov, Czechoslovakians of the 1970's like Hlinka and Holik and pre-nhl Stanley Cup challenge era greats like Cyclone Taylor and Moose Johnson.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:17:07 pm by VanIslander »

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 10:43:25 am »
Bruins vs the Blusers.

..and so it begins.

I am quite excited, for two reasons.

1.  If Boston wins, this will be the firs time in three generations that a city gets the triple crown of sports championships.

2.  The Blues have not been to the Stanley Cup Finals in over 40 years....and very well could win. 

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 01:52:30 pm »
1970....Bruins sweep the Blues and certainly the most iconic Stanley Cup winning goal picture and arguably (but not with me) the most iconic championship trophy winning picture of any sport.

Number 4...Bobby Orr

Bruins will beat them again. 

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 02:30:59 pm »
It could be a Carolina vs. Columbus Eastern conference final!

The two smallest markets. The NHL would not be thrilled.

A Boston vs. St. Louis final would be popular.

You got your wish.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2019, 07:10:10 pm »
Getting excited about the final. I really think the Bruins have this one, they're a better team with stronger leadership.

I will say this, I love the Blues' jerseys. One of the very best in the NHL. I'd be rooting for them against any other team, they truly deserve a Cup...just not this one!

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2019, 11:05:00 am »
Christ, the Blusers shit the bed...just awful. 

Does a team come back from a loss like that, on home ice? 

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 11:29:19 am »
Christ, the Blusers shit the bed...just awful. 

Does a team come back from a loss like that, on home ice? 

Short answer...No.

Not so much because the Blues sucked. It's because the big "B" machine finally decided to show the hell up. The #1 line (the best line in hockey) finally realized it's the final...showed up and controlled the game.

Bruins in 5...well, maybe 6

I was in Korea when the Bruins won in 2011. I was standing and screaming at my desk in the teacher's room. The Koreans didn't get it. I wrote a story and sent it to the editor of the Montreal Gazette. He contacted me the next day and asked for a picture and permission to print the story in the upcoming Saturday edition. I obliged. Front page.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2019, 03:36:19 pm »
...Carolina sweeping the shite out of the Islanders. 

I did not see that coming.  A seven game series possibly....but...not like that. 

It is possible, in the Western Conference, to see an OLD grudge,  championship between the Stars and Ave's.  Does anyone recall those two years, in which they played each other in the WCF?  Both of those teams were STACKED (Ave's more so, I think).  BUT...the Sharks look good...this could be their year.

I cannot think of any post season that can compete with the Stanley Cup Playoffs (with exception of MLB).

with the leafs out, i am pulling for carolina. wanna see those jerks pull off a tremendous storm surge at the cup final!!

The Bruins handled them pretty easily. Game 3 of the final was a barn-burner. Bruins: 4 power plays...4 shots on goal...4 goals that sums it all up. The Blues have to stay outta the box, man. They have no chance at all if they can't cuz the B's are crushing the power play.

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 04:33:40 pm »

I did not see that coming.  A seven game series possibly....but...not like that. 

It is possible, in the Western Conference, to see an OLD grudge,  championship between the Stars and Ave's.  Does anyone recall those two years, in which they played each other in the WCF?  Both of those teams were STACKED (Ave's more so, I think).  BUT...the Sharks look good...this could be their year.

I cannot think of any post season that can compete with the Stanley Cup Playoffs (with exception of MLB).

with the leafs out, i am pulling for carolina. wanna see those jerks pull off a tremendous storm surge at the cup final!!

The Bruins handled them pretty easily. Game 3 of the final was a barn-burner. Bruins: 4 power plays...4 shots on goal...4 goals that sums it all up. The Blues have to stay outta the box, man. They have no chance at all if they can't cuz the B's are crushing the power play.

Tha'ts true.

Just think of how many Stanley Cups the Bruins could have won, if they had not ran into Montreal in the playoffs?

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 05:18:09 pm »
Just think of how many Stanley Cups the Bruins could have won, if they had not ran into Montreal in the playoffs?
lol... could say the same thing about the Calgary Flames, if they didn't have to play the Oilers.

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2019, 08:29:32 pm »
eeehhhh......it would take carbon data testing to determine how long Boston and Montreal have been playoff enemies. 

I get your point though....

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2019, 08:56:15 pm »

Tha'ts true.

Oh the pain....the torment...the anguish...living in Montreal with a die hard Habs fan for a dad. We used to go to the Forum 2 or 3 times a month. The first game I ever saw was the Atlanta Flames! They won 3-2 I saw all the old teams man. The Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Chiefs, California Golden Seals

How I wish my dad was alive in 2011. I would have tortured him. This year too cuz I don't think the Blues have got what it takes. Time will tell, very soon, but I think with Rask and the B's swinging 4 seriously talented lines and the defense....

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2019, 09:13:54 pm »

Tha'ts true.

Oh the pain....the torment...the anguish...living in Montreal with a die hard Habs fan for a dad. We used to go to the Forum 2 or 3 times a month. The first game I ever saw was the Atlanta Flames! They won 3-2 I saw all the old teams man. The Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Chiefs, California Golden Seals

How I wish my dad was alive in 2011. I would have tortured him. This year too cuz I don't think the Blues have got what it takes. Time will tell, very soon, but I think with Rask and the B's swinging 4 seriously talented lines and the defense....

OH...the Atlanta Flames (I almost wrote "Thrashers")....the Colorado Rockies...(that is a worthless team, right there).

I guess it is up for debate....most historic, intense NHL rivalry...Boston vs Montreal...?

Well...for a "flash in the pan" type of scenario...Ave's vs Red Wings. 

Seriously....in my opinion, the NHL has not been the same without Roy...love that guy.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:19:55 pm by NorthStar »

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 12:12:28 pm »
..not sure if Boston beat themselves and the Blues stole a win. 

But, a win is a win and it is a series, again.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2019, 09:36:58 am »
I think Chara getting hurt like that through the Bruins a curveball and got their heads outta the game. Looks like Chara won't be back for a game, maybe the series. He took a serious shot to the face there.

The B's will bounce back at home. Best of 3 now. It's a helluva series we've got going.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2019, 10:36:44 am »
I just read in the news that Chara's jaw was broken by that shot. The fact that he came back to the bench for the 3rd period truly shows just how tough he is. Man, that is incredible.

***wimpy soccer players shot*** I wonder how many footballers would be the same?

NHL players - the toughest guys in sports.