Read 379 times

Any Info On KingsKids, Songpa-gu?
« on: April 06, 2019, 10:37:56 pm »
   I was offered a kinder-elementary position in Songpa-gu, Seoul. The location is ideal for me, and is close to where I used to live. The hours are 9-6 Monday to Friday. So I thought I'd consider it. However, it's ASAP, "just fly over in 2 days, no time to prepare a visa, fly over in 2 days." The interview was on Friday. I am expected to arrive on Monday. I am replacing an American girl, who got sick. She quit a month into her second contract, the recruiter says. But he hasn't offered to let me contact her. Of course I must pay for the flight to Korea myself. I have been sent the contract. I am allowed 2 sick days per year, and there's a table of fines for arriving late. For example, 2 minutes late = 10,000 won. I can be fired if a parent requests another teacher.

So maybe the person I am replacing got into trouble? Maybe it's the school's fault. Has anyone heard of this school?

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
Re: Any Info On KingsKids, Songpa-gu?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:09:23 am »
   I was offered a kinder-elementary position in Songpa-gu, Seoul. The location is ideal for me, and is close to where I used to live. The hours are 9-6 Monday to Friday. So I thought I'd consider it. However, it's ASAP, "just fly over in 2 days, no time to prepare a visa, fly over in 2 days." The interview was on Friday. I am expected to arrive on Monday. I am replacing an American girl, who got sick. She quit a month into her second contract, the recruiter says. But he hasn't offered to let me contact her. Of course I must pay for the flight to Korea myself. I have been sent the contract. I am allowed 2 sick days per year, and there's a table of fines for arriving late. For example, 2 minutes late = 10,000 won. I can be fired if a parent requests another teacher.

So...as yous stated you used to live there, that means you have experience.  Thus, why in the phuck would you even consider working there?!

1 . You have to pay for your own ticket to work at a hagwon.
2.  You have not been offered to contact the previous teacher.
3.   Two days notice to get out there (they don't need you that badly if they want you to pay for your own ticket...that would be STUPID). 
4.  Just based on those first three points, you should walk away.

So maybe the person I am replacing got into trouble? Maybe it's the school's fault. Has anyone heard of this school?

Maybe you should just seek out another position?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:50:40 am by NorthStar »

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:08:12 pm »
this all sounds horrendous. why would you even consider working here?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 04:24:43 pm »
[REQUIREMENT]
1. Resume 1(indicate your birth date and a visa type)
2. Cover letter(including your strength and weakness of teaching)

You think someone is going to tell you their "weakness" so you can use it against them? So when you potentially have a dispute with the labour board over a firing, you can hold up that piece of paper and say "but look the teacher admitted they were weak at teaching"!

3. A recent picture (or passport scan)

I thought it was illegal to ask for a photo? Because you see .. people should really be hired based on qualifications and experience rather than looks.

4. Original Diploma and copy, each 1

You can't seriously expect someone to hand over their original? Thats why we go through the whole trauma of getting an legalized apostiled copy. I know at Korean universities it is easy to get another certificate if you lose your original, but do not assume this is the case at foreign universities.

5. Sealed Transcript(4 years of university)

So you are eliminating people from the UK, Australia, NZ and Canada? Because they all have three (3) year BA degrees.

Your information is misleading. Immigration does not require a 4 year diploma, it requires a bachelors degree. Only America takes four years to attain a BA.

Catch my drift?

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 03:09:12 am »
 They did put me in touch with the American girl who left because she was sick, and her view of the school was reasonably upbeat. So it might not be as bad as I feared. However, the impression is that I would be charged fees or my salary would be docked if I needed to go to the bank to arrange a new card (my old Korean card has expired), or if I needed to go to emigration.

The thing is the recruiters are ignoring me, except ones like this.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:10:31 pm »
  Update: I looked at the contract again and it is not good! Yes, they let me contact someone teaching at that school. But the overall feeling is that to use an American expression, "they nickel and dime you," at every opportunity. By the way, that job is still available. Now Robert Kim, the director, is telling me that if I send him my documents, he will pay for my flight but take it out of my first pay slip.  :shocked: I thought even the bad hagwons at least pretended to be better than this.

But hey! There's one good thing! It's in Seoul, Seoul, Seoul! Everybody wants to go to Seoul!!!  :laugh: That's the hook that this hagwon is counting on to reel me in.

But if Seoul is THAT popular, why haven't they found somebody?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:00:04 pm »
Cyanea: So you are eliminating people from the UK, Australia, NZ and Canada? Because they all have three (3) year BA degrees.

Your information is misleading. Immigration does not require a 4 year diploma, it requires a bachelors degree. Only America takes four years to attain a BA.

Where did you get that info?