Read 710 times

• maggie93
  • Newgookin

• April 05, 2019, 03:32:58 pm
    • China
hello teachers. I have an idea that my students design a house by themselves. I will provide household items like sofa, table for them, and they they put them in certain area like living room. I need a PPT template that you can choose and pull pictures into a space. Can you help me? Thanks! ;D

• powelldr
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 11:01:50 am
    • Gangdong, Seoul, ROK
Drag and Drop is not really a feature of PowerPoint, but it's possible with programming. Here is a 4 part YouTube video series where someone explains how to do this .

If you don't want to go through all this trouble, I'd recommend printing and cutting out the pieces for the students to use.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    I suppose you can emulate a drag and drop  function by creating multiple animation triggers for each  bit of furniture.
The piece of furniture appears, and then you click on the room you want it to go to, thereby activating the animation trigger that sends it to that room.

You would need a floor plan of the house as the main image, and then create transparent squares, each one covering the space of a room. These transparent shapes would function as the click trigger for the furniture (ie when you click on the transparent square, it activates the animation of the furniture to move there).

You can stream-line the process by copying the furniture (so that all the triggers are also copied, and then select "change picture" to put another image (a different piece of furniture) in its place.

It's a bit of work, but the end-result  would be pretty close to a drag and drop format.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
You can make the effect even more like a drag and drop by linking a trigger to a change-in-pointer-appearance animation.
For example, you click on the image of the sofa, which triggers an animation that changes the pointer's arrow-shape to that of a sofa. Then, when you move your pointer, it looks like you're dragging the sofa. Then set up an additional trigger on a transparent square (the room in the house) to change the pointer's sofa image back to the regular arrow-shape (in addition  to having the sofa appear in that room).

Et voila! Faux drag and drop!

• powelldr
  • Veteran

• Gangdong, Seoul, ROK
You can make the effect even more like a drag and drop by linking a trigger to a change-in-pointer-appearance animation.
For example, you click on the image of the sofa, which triggers an animation that changes the pointer's arrow-shape to that of a sofa. Then, when you move your pointer, it looks like you're dragging the sofa. Then set up an additional trigger on a transparent square (the room in the house) to change the pointer's sofa image back to the regular arrow-shape (in addition  to having the sofa appear in that room).

Et voila! Faux drag and drop!

What is the change-in-pointer-appearance animation? I've never heard of that before.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
What is the change-in-pointer-appearance animation? I've never heard of that before.
I've never done it myself, but have seen presentations with custom pointers, which I assumed were changed in the .ppt file rather than in the program settings.
I'm at school and my ppt program is in Korean, but I'll go check on my home computer how (or if) it can be done tonight.

Although, in retrospect, it seems pretty unnecessary. Would be far easier to just animate the sofa moving to the room without messing with pointer settings, and it would look almost the same.

Also, you ever worked in Gyeongsan? That user name looks awfully familiar. 

Edit: I found what I was looking for, and it seems that the pointer was customized outside of ppt, so no help there.  :sad:
However, I *did* find a script in powerpoint that allows you to link an image to the pointer for a true drag and drop effect. Problem is, you need to be able to do some coding to modify it to what you want, which might not be helpful in OPs case.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:58:04 am by kyndo »

• powelldr
  • Veteran

• Gangdong, Seoul, ROK
I'm assuming the OP wanted to be able to move multiple items around at will in various combinations as if they were laminated pictures with magnets on a whiteboard. (If possible, this is the best solution.)
Unfortunately, that's not really possible in PPT. PPT is really limited in it's interactivity since that isn't what makes money for Microsoft.
Using animations and triggers would be the only solution, but it would be really time consuming to make and still won't give the desired result.

And yeah, I used to live in Hayang many years ago.

I know PowerPoint pretty well, so I would have been upset if there was an easy way to change the look of the cursor that I didn't know about.
I looked up how to do that years ago for a game I was thinking of making, but couldn't ever find a solution outside of changing the operating system cursor.

Also, I don't know why the script that you linked to is in the PowerPoint section of that forum, that code is for web browsers. It's likely the poster didn't realize that since he posted nearly a decade later.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
Also, I don't know why the script that you linked to is in the PowerPoint section of that forum, that code is for web browsers. It's likely the poster didn't realize that since he posted nearly a decade later.
Shame on me for not catching that. :-[

Although, in my defense, I've never written script or even modified macros for ppt before, so I'll give myself a pass this time. :smiley: