Read 1063 times

Extra classes - should I take it?
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:45:39 am »
I've been asked to do extra classes on top of my current schedule. I'm currently doing 22 hours a week (Smoe EPIK) and the school has asked me to do extra classes. 2 hours more every Wednesday.

They have told me that they will pay me extra 41,000w per student in a total of 11 weeks, depending on how many students will attend the classes. It'll be grade 1-2 (elementary) for one hour, and grade 3-4 (elementary). I will be paired with a Korean teacher which they will try and find outside of the school.

The classes will also run during English camp. Do you think it's worth taking up the extra gig? I'm just thinking how it'll effect me current lesson planning time etc.

Re: Extra classes - should I take it?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:55:56 am »
it's up to you.  depends if you feel you have time to make the extra lessons.  what is usually good about extra classes is that you have free rein to do what you want, so if you have old lessons on your computer you can just dust them off and print them out. 

i doubt they'll pay you 41000 won per student (that's probably what they'll pay for the whole program).  it sounds like you'll get 41 000 won for the two hours, which by the sounds of it won't finish too late (5ish-6ish?) for you.  so at the end of the 11 weeks you'll get paid an extra 450 000 won or thereabouts, which will be nice. 

at my school, I have night classes from Monday to Thursday finishing at 8pm at the mo and have done similar to you in the past.  i enjoyed them so it's up to you really. 

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:59:59 am »
it's 41,000 per student for the entire 11 weeks. Not per class.

The class will run from 2-pm to 4:10pm

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 08:04:14 am »
Edit: I totally read that wrong. Ignore my previous comment.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:38:17 am by elsbethm »

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 08:14:57 am »
If you're actually, totally, absolutely getting the 41000 per student then that's an incredible deal for you. 
24 classes is still a doable number, especially for that amount of money.

That's 22 hours so 25+  students would be a good deal. Less than 10 students however would be a complete disaster. It's a gamble.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 08:18:22 am »
If you're actually, totally, absolutely getting the 41000 per student then that's an incredible deal for you. 

That's 22 hours so 25+  students would be a good deal. Less than 10 students however would be a complete disaster. It's a gamble.
came here to say this. maybe ask what numbers they had with previous classes/teachers (if they've run this program before)

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 08:44:04 am »
it doesn't work like that in public school.  there are three main kinds of payments for extra classes.

-there is the 20 000 won for working over your 22 hours and that comes from the school's own budget.

-the 보충수업 (supplementary classes) for which the students pay for, is set at a limit.  you can't pay one teacher more than another teacher.  for example, if a teacher teaches 10 classes and they get 300 000 won for those ten classes then that 300 000 won is shared between the students in the class.  so ten students would pay 30 000 won each.  if there are thirty students, they only pay 10 000 won each.  the OP will get a set figure and that figure is not 41 000 won (that is rough figure at the moment) because that means if after 11 x 2 = 22 classes and 30 students pay the 41 000 won, then that is 1.24 million won which is 55 000 won per class.  there are set guidelines in public school that are followed.

-then there are night classes which are paid more and also have guidelines. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 10:56:27 am »
Something doesn't sound right here.

You'll be teaching the same group of students for 11 weeks? and you'll get 41k for each student that comes to your class during that 11 week period? So if a student comes 11 times, you still only get 41k for that student?

And if no students turn up, you don't get paid at all?

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 11:37:36 am »

Yeah, I wasn't fully caffeinated and totally read that wrong...my bad.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 11:48:27 am »
Something doesn't sound right here.

right, because it isn't.  the more students who participate the less they have to pay.  the OP will still get the same amount.  41 000 won at the moment suggests they may get 11 students which should cover the eleven classes.  more students come, that 41 000 won figure will drop. 

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 11:56:48 am »
The parents are paying for the classes, not the school. They need to apply for the program and will pay with their money.
They will hire a Korean teacher from outside of the school to work with me, but will only be doing management.

Per month I will get around $15 per student.

41,000w / 11 weeks = 3,727w

3,727w x 4 weeks = 14,909 w per student a month.

These are the figures she gave me.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 12:02:59 pm »
Good info here. I had an after school class but they counted in my 22 hours, I wonder if the parents were paying the school. I would have parents come in occasionally and not be happy if it was too fun.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 12:10:38 pm »
Good info here. I had an after school class but they counted in my 22 hours, I wonder if the parents were paying the school. I would have parents come in occasionally and not be happy if it was too fun.

The school I work at is in a very poor area. A lot of the students are from immigrant parents and working blue collar families.

That's something i'll have to keep in mind. If the parents are paying, then there's more pressure on to me to do a good job.

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 12:33:40 pm »
Do it.

My old schools used to make me do these to try and make it up to 22 teaching hours. That's the worst cos you have to do extra work for no extra money.  :cry:

I would be wary of the 1 and 2nd grade monsters though. They cry if their pencil runs out of lead.  ;D

Oh and the Korean teacher will do absolutely **** all. So expect 100% of the work load.

Extra money outweighs the negatives though. Especially if it's during normal school hours and you'd be doing nothing else anyways.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:37:07 pm by AvecPommesFrites »
Who is here in 2019?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 01:23:43 pm »

right, because it isn't.  the more students who participate the less they have to pay.  the OP will still get the same amount.  41 000 won at the moment suggests they may get 11 students which should cover the eleven classes.  more students come, that 41 000 won figure will drop.

That's the other side of the coin I guess.

OP still gets the same amount even if very few students turn up.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 08:22:58 am »
I would do it.

HOWEVER I would definitely check with the SMOE that it's above board. Parents paying for a seperate class would veer in the range of private lessons and is NOT something EPIK usually allow.

They are the ones who get to decide stuff like this not your school.

That payment structure is NOT how the overtime works at public school at all. Schools often get mixed up.

Trust me, I've been in this situation before and then one day (after teaching this kind of class for a year) my school properly reads my contract....I had to pay back a LOT of the extra money.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 08:42:53 am »
That payment structure is NOT how the overtime works at public school at all. Schools often get mixed up.

that is what I was saying.  the legal way is what the students pay exactly covers what it would be for all teachers to do supplementary classes like that.  more students?  the less they pay for the program.  if the students pay for the program the teachers get paid, regardless of them being Korean or foreign.  if it's the school budget for extra classes then they'll check whether you're over your 22 hours or if it's after your official finish time, then they have to pay you. 

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 08:47:58 am »

that is what I was saying.  the legal way is what the students pay exactly covers what it would be for all teachers to do supplementary classes like that.  more students?  the less they pay for the program.  if the students pay for the program the teachers get paid, regardless of them being Korean or foreign.  if it's the school budget for extra classes then they'll check whether you're over your 22 hours or if it's after your official finish time, then they have to pay you.

Yeah I've been caught out by this a few times.

One time another school offered me 100k for a one off sandwich making class that started at 7pm. I said OK....only to have them come to me a few days later and decide they meant 10k and try to show me in my contract why they'd decided that  :laugh: I laughed so hard at the idea of doing it for 10k and obviously gave them a hard no.

The schools sometimes don't understand our contracts/don't read our contracts. We actually belong to our MOE/POEs not the school and are subject to different rules than other teachers.

If it's genuinely as described (41k per student like whattt) and is 100% agreed by the MOE, I'd do it absolutely..but if something sounds too good to be true..it usually is.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 10:05:36 am »
I would do it.

HOWEVER I would definitely check with the SMOE that it's above board. Parents paying for a seperate class would veer in the range of private lessons and is NOT something EPIK usually allow.

Trust me, I've been in this situation before and then one day (after teaching this kind of class for a year) my school properly reads my contract....I had to pay back a LOT of the extra money.
nah. i used to do after-school classes way back when i worked for SMOE. i'd get around 5k per student per class. i had about 15 students per class, and 3 classes per day, so i made a fair chuck every month. i did this for ages. if your school okays it, and it's on the school grounds (so you aren't breaking any visa rules), what's the problem?

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 11:40:20 am »
I would do it.

nah. i used to do after-school classes way back when i worked for SMOE. i'd get around 5k per student per class. i had about 15 students per class, and 3 classes per day, so i made a fair chuck every month. i did this for ages. if your school okays it, and it's on the school grounds (so you aren't breaking any visa rules), what's the problem?

The previous teacher did it last year and it didn't seem to be a problem.