Read 1014 times

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
Re: Extra classes - should I take it?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 12:17:53 pm »
I would do it.

HOWEVER I would definitely check with the SMOE that it's above board. Parents paying for a seperate class would veer in the range of private lessons and is NOT something EPIK usually allow.

They are the ones who get to decide stuff like this not your school.

That payment structure is NOT how the overtime works at public school at all. Schools often get mixed up.

Trust me, I've been in this situation before and then one day (after teaching this kind of class for a year) my school properly reads my contract....I had to pay back a LOT of the extra money.
nah. i used to do after-school classes way back when i worked for SMOE. i'd get around 5k per student per class. i had about 15 students per class, and 3 classes per day, so i made a fair chuck every month. i did this for ages. if your school okays it, and it's on the school grounds (so you aren't breaking any visa rules), what's the problem?

The previous teacher did it last year and it didn't seem to be a problem.

Ask the SMOE anyway.

The previous teachers at my school also did it.....but I was the one who they realised the mistake with and ended up having to pay it back.

If it's not an issue it won't hurt to run it past your coordinator.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 12:21:08 pm »
I would do it.

HOWEVER I would definitely check with the SMOE that it's above board. Parents paying for a seperate class would veer in the range of private lessons and is NOT something EPIK usually allow.

That payment structure is NOT how the overtime works at public school at all. Schools often get mixed up.

Trust me, I've been in this situation before and then one day (after teaching this kind of class for a year) my school properly reads my contract....I had to pay back a LOT of the extra money.
nah. i used to do after-school classes way back when i worked for SMOE. i'd get around 5k per student per class. i had about 15 students per class, and 3 classes per day, so i made a fair chuck every month. i did this for ages. if your school okays it, and it's on the school grounds (so you aren't breaking any visa rules), what's the problem?

But it's not on school grounds, as stated above. EDIT: I think I misread this bit. I believe it stated they are trying to find a teacher from outside the school. Which is weird too.

What's the problem? The problem is it's not your school's decision to make. We aren't employed by the school.

EPIK take a big stance on this kind of thing since it goes against their values of equal education (hence why we aren't allowed to teach privately). By asking the parents to pay it's essentially hagwon/private tutoring work.

Like I stated I also did it....then the school looked further into my contract and realised they were forking out when they didn't have to. I had to pay it ALL back. Not worth the risk at all. Why not just check with the SMOE?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:28:04 pm by debbiem89 »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 12:28:06 pm »
EPIK take a big stance on this kind of thing since it goes against their values of equal education (hence why we aren't allowed to teach privately). By asking the parents to pay it's essentially hagwon/private tutoring work.
Parents pay to put their kid in most of the public school weekend camps and summer/winter camps.

They are extra curricular, and are a whole lot cheaper than hagwons, which is why even parents in less wealthy areas will still enroll their kids.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:15:41 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 12:42:15 pm »
It's called 방과후. It's perfectly legal and your school probably does it for English, Music, Cooking, Soccer etc.

Debbie you're having a shocker here.  :lipsrsealed:

Who is here in 2019?

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 12:43:10 pm »
You understand that parents pay to put their kid in most weekend camps and summer/winter camps, yes?

From the schools I've worked at, it's been free. The education office (meaning taxpayers) picks up the tab.

Where are you located that the parents pay? (I'm wondering how common that is.)

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 12:51:25 pm »

What's the problem? The problem is it's not your school's decision to make. We aren't employed by the school.

Like I stated I also did it....then the school looked further into my contract and realised they were forking out when they didn't have to. I had to pay it ALL back. Not worth the risk at all. Why not just check with the SMOE?

that could be the problem.  if you're under your 22 hours (in normal class hours 8:30am-4:30pm, for example) or it's not a class running after 4:30/4:40pm then the school doesn't have to pay out of its budget.  your school misunderstood it, which is dumb on their part and like you said, you have to be aware of this just in case they do realise their error and you have to pay stuff back. 

i taught the teachers a while back and it was from 3-5:00 pm or something like that, on Wednesdays.  so I mentioned about being paid extra for it, but the education office said it was a bit different as it was included in my hours, and was not considered an 'extra school', so couldn't claim anything there, but they agreed to pay my transport fee which was something like 30 000 won.  so it almost evened out.  teaching the teachers is brill, so no problems there. 

with the OP, it's a supplementary class paid by the students at their own, so they will get a set amount at the end, just like any other teacher. 

when it's an outside school, the school who want you just have to send your school an official paper saying they want you to teach, and the start/finish dates and times and how much they'll pay you.  once your school gets that, it's all above board.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 01:23:42 pm »
It's called 방과후. It's perfectly legal and your school probably does it for English, Music, Cooking, Soccer etc.

Debbie you're having a shocker here.  :lipsrsealed:
I know what they are...I teach them. That pay scale though is not what is described in our EPIK contracts. (41,000 per student..). Unless I've misunderstood the pay entirely.

Why am I having a "shocker"?

Didn't say it was illegal, didn't say don't do it. Just the pay seems WAY off for an EPIK thing.

Just said check with the SMOE. I actually don't know why that would be such a huge deal  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:40:01 pm by debbiem89 »

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 01:25:19 pm »
You understand that parents pay to put their kid in most weekend camps and summer/winter camps, yes?

They don't at any of my schools.

Even the weekend classes I've taught for the MOE haven't been done that way.

My only point was to double check it with the MOE......

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 02:26:27 pm »
Parents pay to put their kid in most weekend camps and summer/winter camps.
From the schools I've worked at, it's been free. The education office (meaning taxpayers) picks up the tab.
They don't at any of my schools.

I've worked in 5 or 6 different schools in Gyeongsangbuk-do now, and they've all had extra-curricular classes that parents pay for.
    I can say with confidence that this is absolutely true in my case, as I've had discussions with the head English department teachers in these schools on how we can boost enrollment and income from these classes. The income from these classes go towards padding the school budgets for science/music clubs, field trips, sports outings etc etc.

I have no idea if this is common in the big cities (things work differently in the DMOEs), but it *is* a pretty common practice in the provinces.

As for not hearing about this from one's school, I suspect that many schools don't inform their NETs that students pay to go to these classes partly because (from their perspective) it really isn't any of our business, but mostly because it might upset the teachers if they learned how ridiculously underpaid they are when compared to what the school rakes in in fees...  :sad:

Anyway, it never hurts to double check things with the POE/MOE... ...so long as it's done discretely!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:30:54 pm by kyndo »

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 02:30:16 pm »

I've worked in five or 6 different schools in Gyeongsangbuk-do now, and they've all had extra-curricular classes that parents pay for.
    I can say with confidence that this is absolutely true in my case, as I've had discussions with the head English department teachers in these schools on how we can boost enrollment and income from these classes. The income from these classes go towards padding the school budgets for science/music clubs, field trips, sports outings etc etc.

I have no idea if this is common in the big cities (things work differently in the DMOEs), but it *is* a pretty common practice in the provinces.

As for not hearing about this from one's school, I'm guessing that many schools would not inform their NETs that students pay to go to these classes, mostly because it might upset the teachers if they learned how ridiculously underpaid they are when compared to what the school rakes in in fees...  :sad:

I've also worked in Gyeongsangbukdo. I was NEVER paid as much as 41k per student. I've done many of these programmes and regardless of whether the parents pay or not I've always received the standard overtime pay, or my POE/MOE have been informed at least. I've always been pretty friendly with my coordinators so I'm aware of how they work.

I just suggested running it past the MOE/POE before accepting and being stuck in the position I was, that's all. *shrug*

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 02:33:11 pm »
Anyway, it never hurts to double check things with the POE/MOE... ...so long as it's done discretely!

100%

My coordinator is pretty cool and keeps things discreet.

(sorry didn't see this bit before my last post haha)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 03:20:47 pm »
I would do it.

But it's not on school grounds, as stated above. EDIT: I think I misread this bit. I believe it stated they are trying to find a teacher from outside the school. Which is weird too.

Mine was a separate contract through the school stating pay and conditions. The school didnt even take profits, it was all divided between the 방과후 teachers. That was such a great gig