Read 2708 times

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Re: Salary
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2019, 12:20:57 pm »
I have a question: How much do people manage to save from their salaries?

Like how much do you spend on food and other aspects of living?

monthly food bill before having a kid was about maybe 300-400 if i want to go on the high end.  with a baby to feed now, it's probably an extra 100 or so.   formula and gerbers.  i would go to costco and load up on groceries.  ate lunches at school.  made my own dinner (i like cooking).   transportation was usually about 80 a month maybe even less because i liked walking to work. 
if there was something going on like the movies, zoo, etc. i always had the cash for that and still had plenty left over. 
it just comes down to budgeting.  once people actually sit down and see where their money goes, you'd be surprised how much you can save without having to make extreme cuts.

Income:
2 salaries
We both do extra classes, about once a week, and a few privates, still plenty of free time and the extra classes help with job satisfaction as I'm actually teaching motivated students.
Our apartment is fully jeonsed, only pay a maintenance fee and are receiving 800k a month in housing allowance
Both receive the rural and multiple schools allowance

Expenses:
Food, food, food. We rarely eat out, but we eat a ton of vegetables and fruit. I order my meat from a butcher in Itaewon and I order expensive bread and cheese off Coupang. I also buy Whey, Creatine and a few other supplements.
We don't drink.
We have cats who do cost quite a bit in food every month.
We go on holiday once a year.

Savings
On an average month, 5mil per month banked.

I eat at home for both dinner and lunch, I don't eat meat so that makes things a bit difficult as the dinners at school are always some kind of meat.  But I enjoy cooking so it's not too bad. I have worked out where to buy the groceries from (I use Fill Mart, the vegetables are dirt cheap). Except for herbs like coriander (mint I am growing myself) but yeah.

@tanis: thank you for the breakdown. I will be printing my bank statements and see where I am spending money.

@aristocrat: what butchers do you use? I still eat chicken and fish so it would be nice to order it online! I don't drink either so yeah I know I save money there!

Also how much do you guys get paid? Is this still through EPIK? I am with them (just finished my first year so yeah pay is not that high)  :blank:

Yeah...this pretty much describes my memories of school lunches.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2019, 02:14:27 pm »
Cheers heaps for all the input. I think it's fair to say that we all agree on 2,8- 3 million won being an acceptable living wage. So beginning teachers in Korea should be given a 20-30% pay raise.   :sad:
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2019, 07:28:46 am »
Cheers heaps for all the input. I think it's fair to say that we all agree on 2,8- 3 million won being an acceptable living wage. So beginning teachers in Korea should be given a 20-30% pay raise.   :sad:

is that 2.8-3.0 including or excluding housing/housing allowance?

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2019, 07:44:23 am »

probably excluding.  usually when these conversations come up about salary, nobody wants to include the housing costs on top of the monthly salary.  i would be nice to get the 2.8 -3.0  along with the housing allowance/housing.   

i wonder what would happen if epik  took away the apartment and housing allowance.  starting wage 2.8 min and then everyone has to find and pay for their own places.   would everyone still be happy with the higher starting wage?

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2019, 07:48:06 am »

probably excluding.  usually when these conversations come up about salary, nobody wants to include the housing costs on top of the monthly salary.  i would be nice to get the 2.8 -3.0  along with the housing allowance/housing.   

i wonder what would happen if epik  took away the apartment and housing allowance.  starting wage 2.8 min and then everyone has to find and pay for their own places.   would everyone still be happy with the higher starting wage?

Most people who come here to teach struggle to get enough money together to live off for the first month, so probably not,

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2019, 07:52:02 am »

good question. i think 2.8 + housing seems wayyyyy too high for someone with an irrelevant bachelor's degree and a $25 online TEFL class with no experience teaching.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2019, 07:55:35 am »

good question. i think 2.8 + housing seems wayyyyy too high for someone with an irrelevant bachelor's degree and a $25 online TEFL class with no experience teaching.

You just described me. Ha!  I'm at 2.7 + 150 multiple schools and 400 housing allowance. PS my schools and students love me. Go figure.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2019, 07:56:52 am »
I'd say 2.8-3 million (after tax, NHI etc, including housing) won for a 40hr work week (25 actual teaching),  for an entry job into ESL is fair enough.

Obviously as people get more experienced and get further qualified, their salaries should increase too.

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2019, 08:08:11 am »

You just described me. Ha!  I'm at 2.7 + 150 multiple schools and 400 housing allowance. PS my schools and students love me. Go figure.
you're at 2.7 your first year? i am truly jealous. also i didn't mean to imply that those people would do a bad job... just that it doesn't make sense, from a business perspective, to give all of them 2.8+housing.

I'd say 2.8-3 million (after tax, NHI etc, including housing) won for a 40hr work week (25 actual teaching),  for an entry job into ESL is fair enough.

Obviously as people get more experienced and get further qualified, their salaries should increase too.

yeah that seems reasonable

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2019, 08:20:37 am »

you're at 2.7 your first year? i am truly jealous. also i didn't mean to imply that those people would do a bad job... just that it doesn't make sense, from a business perspective, to give all of them 2.8+housing.

yeah that seems reasonable

Ah my bad didn't see the last part. Yeah no I've got about 9 years experience, but still no TEOFL. :)

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2019, 12:29:23 pm »
As many have said on here before, the education offices don't care what's fair, it's what they need to offer in order to get applicants and workers.  Why would they increase the pay when they always have warm bodies? 

I do think they need to increase the maximum pay, or increase vacation days or something similar, because very few people stay even once they get to the maximum of 2.7.  You can live happily in the moment with 2.7, especially if you have no debt, however if you want to save money and someday retire, that's not going to give  you enough for that.   But they don't care about your retirement.  However, I tend to think longer term teachers also greatly increase the effectiveness of our positions, and would be worth the higher outlay.  But a new teacher?  Why would they pay more when they don't know how good you will be, and there is another person ready to take your place?

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2019, 01:16:38 pm »
I'm at 2.2 + 100 as travel allowance, no entrance but an exit allowance. My contract is for 20 hours, 9 weeks of vaca, but my school is giving me about 14/15 weeks since I work 22 hours, no camps. I also have a 7 hour work day. I have about 4.5 years of experience and TEFL cert. I took this position because of the vaca/hours and was late applying to EPIK so didn't think I would get a position, but I'm realizing I'd rather have camps and less vaca while making 2.6 or more.