Read 516 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
World satisfaction ratings
« on: April 01, 2019, 06:57:58 pm »
https://cms-internationsgmbh.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/file/2018-09/Expat-Insider-2018_The-InterNations-Survey.pdf

This makes interesting reading, how valid the results are, I don't know but it is still interesting reading.

Mexico surprised me a lot.
Everything is not as it seems.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Re: World satisfaction ratings
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 10:27:06 pm »
https://cms-internationsgmbh.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/file/2018-09/Expat-Insider-2018_The-InterNations-Survey.pdf

This makes interesting reading, how valid the results are, I don't know but it is still interesting reading.

What's your point?

Try to put the basics of your topic in the initial post, in the first few lines. Nobody's going to bother to click on a vagues mystery link that that could be about anything random on the planet. Presentation is key when posting a new thread. Your meaning- be it a question, statement, opinion must grab people from the first moment they clap eyes on it. . or people won't bother and you will get no responses.
Catch my drift?

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 01:14:08 am »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 05:58:29 am »

What's your point?

Try to put the basics of your topic in the initial post, in the first few lines. Nobody's going to bother to click on a vagues mystery link that that could be about anything random on the planet. Presentation is key when posting a new thread. Your meaning- be it a question, statement, opinion must grab people from the first moment they clap eyes on it. . or people won't bother and you will get no responses.

It's for those who like to read this type of article.  For me the results of the various surveys were interesting an in some cases very unexpected.

So, if you don't like to read this type of article, don't. Just move on, jeez, no one is holding a gun at your head.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 06:04:47 am »

What's your point?

It's for those who like to read this type of article.  For me the results of the various surveys were interesting an in some cases very unexpected.

So, if you don't like to read this type of article, don't. Just move on, jeez, no one is holding a gun at your head.

Mexico is pretty good for other North Americans... NAFTA makes work permits easy, and familiar goods in the stores.
Also, getting an expat package in a low-cost county is nice.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 07:25:03 am »
This thread still lacks the minimum required number of unnecessary quotes of 112 to be considered proper Waygook forum content.
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 12:20:40 pm »
OP, you cannot honestly believe that Bahrain or Taiwan are better to live in than places like Norway, Denmark, or Sweden? The article or whatever it is has not been conducted according to the best of methods and as such is nonsense.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 01:28:38 pm »
OP, you cannot honestly believe that Bahrain or Taiwan are better to live in than places like Norway, Denmark, or Sweden? The article or whatever it is has not been conducted according to the best of methods and as such is nonsense.
    The article puts a lot of value on job security and job satisfaction when calculating happiness. Considering that many of the workers, students, and expats who go to Bahrain come from surrounding countries where social and economic conditions are considerably lower, I'm not at all surprised that it scored so well. Bahrain is a very wealthy and reasonably liberal country in a region know for its strict conservatism and restrictive social regimes.

Skim the article and you'll find that it's pretty transparent in its ranking system.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 01:28:58 pm »

Maybe the whole Scandinavia thing is a bit of an exaggeration? Although to agree with you, there might be some cultural variance as well as suspect methodology.

What I think might be going on here, is we might be seeing certain "clusters" of people favoring certain areas. For example, business people from the Islamic world might give Bahrain sky-high marks, but perhaps not so for young, western recent college grads. Or perhaps it has less to do with age-religion-ethnicity demographics as people emphasizing business vs. retirement vs. gap-year expats and so on.

In that sense, rather than a true ranking, it might be best to correlate which countries appeal to certain kinds of people, which the survey somewhat attempts to do, although it doesn't offer a complete picture.

TLDR- I don't think there is any "One-Size-Fits-All" answer for something like this, so multiple countries can be "right". We also sometimes aren't quite sure of the gap in some of these answers. The difference between 1st and 15th might be small enough to pretty much be irrelevant. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 01:29:22 pm »
Best for expats.

You ainít getting a lush package in western Europe.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 01:49:23 pm »
Wow, Korea is waaaaaay down on most of those lists.  I wish I had had access
to things like this before I moved here in '96.

When I came here it was like throwing the dice.  Actually the only reason I did
come here was a friend said lots of jobs, decent money, free housing.

We made more in '96 than teachers do now.  Exchange rate was about 700KRW
to the dollar. So I guess the money WAS good.

If I could go back I would choose a place like Hong Kong or Japan over Korea.

Korea is getting better, but it is still a backwater and it has definitely seen its heyday
come and go already.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 03:15:51 pm »

Best place is subjective. I never claimed this was 100% accurate, is any survey? I doubt it. I just found it interesting and shared it. If you think it is nonsense, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but it doesn't make this survey nonsense just because YOU think it is.