Read 1214 times

• charbloom
  • Newgookin

• March 30, 2019, 05:49:12 am
    • United Kingdom
Best Place to Find Reliable News While Living in Korea?
« on: March 31, 2019, 12:55:34 am »
Hi all, both very new to this forum and extremely glad that I stumbled upon it so that I have somewhere to go with my no doubt endless slew of questions!

I'm hopefully moving to Korea in the summer and I'm a little worried about finding reliable local news sources that are also, you know, in English. I know it's very easy for me to use the same sources I use now, but I'd much rather something dedicated to Korean and South East Asian news, if that makes sense? I'm going to be living there, so I don't want the European perspective of SE Asian news, you know?

I hope I'm making sense, if anyone has like a favourite newspaper that they buy out in SK, or a youtube channel that covers everything on a daily/weekly basis - anything at all, would be a great help.

Thanks!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Re: Best Place to Find Reliable News While Living in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 10:49:26 pm »
Reliable News

There is no such thing.

Catch my drift?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 11:32:06 pm »
Reliable News

There is no such thing.

... in general, but even less so in South Korea.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:46:04 am »
The big ones will be, with varying degrees of slant on the right-left spectrum, Chosun Ilbo, DongA Ilbo, Joong Ang Daily, Korea Herald, Korea Times, and Hankyoreh. The only one I'd say that is completely useless is the Korea Times, which is pretty much the equivalent of The Mirror or some other tabloid. The rest are decent enough to mine for English articles or get news on relatively mundane stuff. For bigger stories, you should do what you do with your news back home- Get the story from as many different angles across the right-left spectrum to try and figure out what really happened.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 09:35:58 am »
Yonhap and airirang arenít terrible. The problem is many local stories donít get mentioned in the English versions. So itís hard to find good local news.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 10:09:56 am »
Oh yeah, Yonhap and Arirang for broadcast.

What a dinosaur I am- thinking only of newspapers.

There's probably some youtube personality that has great news.Or like, reddit or whatever.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 10:15:21 am »
For bigger stories, you should do what you do with your news back home- Get the story from as many different angles across the right-left spectrum to try and figure out what really happened.

Good advice.

I stopped watching TV news when I saw a report on public meeting which I was actually at.

The report was so distorted, I donít think the reporter was at the same meeting.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 10:26:55 am »
Hi all, both very new to this forum and extremely glad that I stumbled upon it so that I have somewhere to go with my no doubt endless slew of questions!

I'm hopefully moving to Korea in the summer and I'm a little worried about finding reliable local news sources that are also, you know, in English. I know it's very easy for me to use the same sources I use now, but I'd much rather something dedicated to Korean and South East Asian news, if that makes sense? I'm going to be living there, so I don't want the European perspective of SE Asian news, you know?

I hope I'm making sense, if anyone has like a favourite newspaper that they buy out in SK, or a youtube channel that covers everything on a daily/weekly basis - anything at all, would be a great help.

Thanks!

Arirang News is in English.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 11:57:47 am »
Waygook.org

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 12:19:07 pm »
JTBC for news stuff.

KT for entertainment.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 12:55:17 pm »
confusedsafferinkorea's posts.
Who is here in 2019?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 10:19:59 pm »
For bigger stories, you should do what you do with your news back home- Get the story from as many different angles across the right-left spectrum to try and figure out what really happened.

Good advice.

I stopped watching TV news when I saw a report on public meeting which I was actually at.

The report was so distorted, I donít think the reporter was at the same meeting.

It takes a direct personal experience to shake someone out of their trust in popular mass media.

Most people never get the chance to compare first hand reality with what they watch on the TV.

The people who own the media companies, and the people who direct them.. know and rely on this fact.
Catch my drift?

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 07:26:11 am »
You'd think everyone in Korea would realize this when CNN and FOXNews were acting like we were on the verge of WWIII every 6 months and freaking out the families of many expats while everyone here knew it was business as usual. Yet people sonehow still consider them reliable sources of news, driven by ethics.  :rolleyes:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 07:47:47 am »
You'd think everyone in Korea would realize this when CNN and FOXNews were acting like we were on the verge of WWIII every 6 months and freaking out the families of many expats while everyone here knew it was business as usual. Yet people sonehow still consider them reliable sources of news, driven by ethics.  :rolleyes:

I re-read the thread, and I didn't detect any hint of that.

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 08:11:04 am »

as usual.  creating a fight where there is none.

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 08:38:38 am »

It was in reference to Cyanea's comment above mine.

It takes a direct personal experience to shake someone out of their trust in popular mass media.

Most people never get the chance to compare first hand reality with what they watch on the TV.

The people who own the media companies, and the people who direct them.. know and rely on this fact.

as usual.  creating a fight where there is none.
As usual, you're blind as a bat.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 09:14:41 am »
   THE INTERNET...!

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 09:21:51 am »
Read them all, even the far left and far right. Just be aware of which news sources tend to lean more on the yellow journalistic/sensationalist side.

It's really the only way to get accurate information, because they can all be correct, and they can all be wrong and take on a biased narrative.

Separate your personal beliefs and feelings from the news first before diving in, read from every outlet there is, pick out the information that is getting reported the same across most of them, and you can trust that that information is fairly accurate.

DM might have a lot of questionable opinions, but he's not wrong about that one. This is partly how intel collects information.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:41:22 am by Chinguetti »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 09:37:38 am »

It was in reference to Cyanea's comment above mine.

I see. I read it with different connotations.

I think we are all in ďviolent agreementĒ here.

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 04:00:18 pm »

Most American media is bullshit when it comes things related to Korea.