Read 891 times

• APH
  • Veteran

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
Living outside of Seoul
« on: March 28, 2019, 12:21:44 pm »
Iíve kind of been set on the idea of staying in Seoul for my next job, I was previously working in Guro which isnít very central but I had access to all the popular areas quite easily, but now Iím starting to be more open to the idea of living a bit further out. Iíve heard that a lot of the time youíre accommodation the school provides  can be better if you arenít staying in central Seoul and the areas can be a bit nicer.

Iím not talking super rural but places like Suwon, Incheon, Dongtan etc. Iíve seen a couple of jobs in these areas. My only concerns are if Iím in my early twenties so I want to go out and meet people, go to language exchange meet ups and things like that to make both korean and foreign friends but these seem to always be held in places like Hongdae and Itaewon.

So anyone who lives on the outskirts of Seoul, how often do you travel into Seoul? Do you feel like youíre missing out on the nightlife and opportunities you have on your doorstep if you live in central Seoul? Or what are some good things about living a bit further out? Thanks!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Living outside of Seoul
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 12:46:03 pm »
Iíve kind of been set on the idea of staying in Seoul for my next job, I was previously working in Guro which isnít very central but I had access to all the popular areas quite easily, but now Iím starting to be more open to the idea of living a bit further out. Iíve heard that a lot of the time youíre accommodation the school provides  can be better if you arenít staying in central Seoul and the areas can be a bit nicer.

Iím not talking super rural but places like Suwon, Incheon, Dongtan etc. Iíve seen a couple of jobs in these areas. My only concerns are if Iím in my early twenties so I want to go out and meet people, go to language exchange meet ups and things like that to make both korean and foreign friends but these seem to always be held in places like Hongdae and Itaewon.

So anyone who lives on the outskirts of Seoul, how often do you travel into Seoul? Do you feel like youíre missing out on the nightlife and opportunities you have on your doorstep if you live in central Seoul? Or what are some good things about living a bit further out? Thanks!

I lived in  Guro digital for 2 years and then moved to Gunpo. I don't regret it. There's a tonne of foreigners in Anyang and it's a big city so there's nothing I can't get too easily. (Obviously El Pino 323 is good, yeah, I know, but Dos Tacos is good, too and it's half the price ;)

I go into Seoul once or twice a week. Hongdae is Geumjeong to Sindorim. Itaewon is super easy, straight up to Samgakji on Line 4.

After 6 months in Seoul, the sheen wore off. It was still good but it's the place you live, not a destination.
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:52:17 pm »

I lived in  Guro digital for 2 years and then moved to Gunpo. I don't regret it. There's a tonne of foreigners in Anyang and it's a big city so there's nothing I can't get too easily. (Obviously El Pino 323 is good, yeah, I know, but Dos Tacos is good, too and it's half the price ;)

I go into Seoul once or twice a week. Hongdae is Geumjeong to Sindorim. Itaewon is super easy, straight up to Samgakji on Line 4.

After 6 months in Seoul, the sheen wore off. It was still good but it's the place you live, not a destination.

Also, Guro Digi is literally one of the most miserable places in Seoul. Good to get out of there.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:54:44 pm »

Also, I live outside of Seoul, just a bit. It's kind of a pain to get into town, but the money I save not living in Seoul makes me not feel guilty about just taking a taxi whenever I'm feeling lazy or in a hurry.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 02:01:39 pm »
i've lived outside of seoul.  gyeonggi-do.  you can pretty much get into seoul no problem.  if i wanted gangnam, id just hop on the red bus and i'm there in about 30 minutes.  same with the subway since the shinbundang line is there.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 03:08:19 pm »
I used to live in 2 different rural areas of Gyeonggi-do several years ago, and the commute to Seoul was about 30 minutes by subway (from one of the areas where I used to live in Gyeonggi-do) and about an hour by bus (from the other area where I used to live in Gyeonngi-do -- bus was the only option for that place in Gyeonngi-do, since it wasn't connected by subway to Seoul, whereas the first place was), respectively. It wasn't bad (the commute to get to Seoul), although for the one where I had to take the bus, I just had to make sure to buy my bus tickets in advance at the bus terminal in Seoul to go back home since, if I waited till the last-minute to buy it (i.e., shortly before I wanted to take the bus, especially at nighttime), the bus tickets would sometimes be all sold-out (I remember this happened to me once and it was nighttime, so I ended up having to buy a bus ticket to a nearby city in Gyeonggi-do and, from there, take a 30-minute cab ride to where I was living in Gyeonggi-do since that was the only way for me to get back home...). I don't really remember exactly how often I would go to Seoul at that time, but I guess I'd estimate maybe about once every couple of weeks, on average, overall? I'm not a nightlife person, though, so I didn't really ever go to Seoul for the purpose of doing nightlife stuff, so I can't really comment much about that.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:18:21 pm by Mezoti97 »