Read 4402 times

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Welcome aboard Korean Air
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:51:25 pm »
16-year-old with serious peanut allergy removed from plane and stranded in South Korea

Korean Air and Delta Air Lines apologized to a family after their son, who has a serious peanut allergy, were stranded with his little brother in a foreign country.

Rakesh and Prajakta Patel’s 15 and 16-year-old sons were traveling alone from Atlanta, Georgia, to Manila, Philippines (where their father is temporarily located for work) after visiting their elderly grandfather in the hospital. The boys were booked on a Delta flight to Seoul, South Korea, with a Korean Air connection to Manila. (The two are partner airlines).

The Patel’s eldest son has a serious allergy to peanuts and all tree nuts. As pro travelers, they all carry multiple Epi-Pens (portable devices that inject life-saving epinephrine in the event of anaphylactic shock), communicate with the flight crews and wipe down their seats for peanut dust. But this was the boys’ first flight without their parents.

“We only fly Delta because they have been so accommodating with my son’s allergies,” Prajakta, 41, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “But the connecting flight was new, so we were nervous.”

The teens had a smooth flight on the 14-hour Delta leg. But in Seoul, the Korean Air flight attendant allegedly said that peanuts would be served, after a gate agent said otherwise, moments beforehand. 

According to Prajakta, her sons were told they could either endure the flight with peanuts or leave the plane. “The gate agent came on the plane and told my sons to get off,” she tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “One of my kids was shaking — they’re alone in a different country. Where were they supposed to go?” She says the agent tugged on her son’s shirt to encourage him to move.

Back in the gate area, the teens offered to sit in the back of the aircraft with the older one wearing a mask. Prajakta says her sons started walking back toward the plane but the agent nudged one of her boys with his elbow, closed the gate door, and said, “Now it’s closed.”

The boys called their parents in Atlanta. “We were frantically calling Delta to help us figure it out,” Prajakta tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “They said the boys could fly a different carrier, but we didn’t know their nut policy, so they flew Delta back to Atlanta.”

A week later, the boys are in school and the family filed a complaint with Korean Air, requesting refunds for the flights.

Korean Air tells Yahoo Lifestyle in a statement:

“Korean Air is aware that peanut and food allergies are an industry issue and no airline can guarantee a food allergy-free environment. But we are reviewing ways to deal with this issue in a safe and feasible way.  We totally understand the risks faced by passengers with nut and food allergies and will certainly try to accommodate them better in the future. Korean Air sincerely apologizes to Mr. and Mrs. Patel and their sons. Customer service is a mainstay of the Delta and Korean Air partnership and we regret that the Patels experience did not reflect our common values.  We are reviewing this incident and will strive to create a better customer experience.”

And Delta tells Yahoo Lifestyle, “We’re sorry for this family’s ordeal, and we are working with our partner Korean Air to examine the processes surrounding this incident. We will use our findings to create a consistent experience for customers flying Delta and our partner airlines.”

Flying with peanut allergies isn’t foolproof, Prajakta tells Yahoo Lifestyle, but she wants airlines to improve employee education. “It takes a village to spread awareness.”

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: Welcome aboard Korean Air
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:55:01 pm »
Korean Air and nuts. More trouble than they are worth.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 01:44:07 pm »
Keeping them off the aircraft was the safe decision.
Airline staff are trained to make the safe choice.
The follow-up to the decision is where the real issue is.
The correct response is upgrades on the next (nut free) flight out.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 02:10:38 pm »
Keeping them off the aircraft was the safe decision.
Airline staff are trained to make the safe choice.
The follow-up to the decision is where the real issue is.
Agreed.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 04:20:53 pm »

Hm. You're saying all airlines must stop serving nuts because 1 in 100 adults suffers from nut allergy?

Catch my drift?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 05:46:22 pm »

Hm. You're saying all airlines must stop serving nuts because 1 in 100 adults suffers from nut allergy?
Most have.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 06:43:02 pm »

Most have.

Not so..only a small minority have stopped serving peanuts (3 airlines?), and almost all continue to serve other types of nuts.

The question is, do you then ban milk, dairy products, eggs, soy, wheat, barley, oats and everything that a tiny minority of people are allergic to? People are also allergic to bananas, zucchini, persimmons. So planes may as well stop serving meals altogether.

What I suggest is that airlines have a small separate partitioned seating area for those with allergies, where an allergy free meal is served. If such a thing actually exists.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:46:55 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 06:52:54 pm »
A chart of which airlines serve nuts.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 07:18:27 pm »
All the nut allergy, gluten-free, vegan, therapy parrot, types need to get their own airline.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 08:21:08 pm »
All the nut allergy, gluten-free, vegan, therapy parrot, types need to get their own airline.
Generally I agree with that, except for nut allergies.
I’ve seen a kid go into anaphylactic shock. It’s not something to be taken lightly.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 09:12:49 pm »

Oh you mean which North American airlines serve peanuts??

America = The World. Sorry, I forgot that. I'll be sure to ask the attendants on Air Malawi what planet they're from next time I fly.
Catch my drift?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 11:37:05 pm »
Therapy parrot sounds like it could be right up your alley.

• AMDC
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2018, 08:00:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 08:12:01 am »

Oh you mean which North American airlines serve peanuts??

America = The World. Sorry, I forgot that. I'll be sure to ask the attendants on Air Malawi what planet they're from next time I fly.

Amusing to see you first minimize the plight of a minority because it doesn't affect you, then get upset when you're not represented in a discussion because you're a minority in this forum.

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 08:26:38 am »

You are such a mark. Therapy parrot? Have you actually seen someone in real life with a therapy parrot? Or is it something you read on a blog? Or fox news?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 08:32:42 am »
You are such a mark. Therapy parrot? Have you actually seen someone in real life with a therapy parrot? Or is it something you read on a blog? Or fox news?
Well, we've had pigs and turkeys. Granted some of these are obvious troll attempts, but still...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/10/emotional-support-animals-squirrel-airlines-service-animal

That's not FOXNews, that's the left-leaning Guardian. "Someone says something that I disagree with, they must be getting their news from the opposite side's media outlets!!!" What an awful way to filter and think about the world.

Good for Delta. They should bring back smoking and peanuts and help clear out the riff-raff. Maybe introduce a dress code.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/11/delta-bans-support-animals-from-long-flights--and-no-puppies.html

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 08:39:38 am »
Well, we've had pigs and turkeys. Granted some of these are obvious troll attempts, but still...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/10/emotional-support-animals-squirrel-airlines-service-animal

That's not FOXNews, that's the left-leaning Guardian. "Someone says something that I disagree with, they must be getting their news from the opposite side's media outlets!!!" What an awful way to filter and think about the world.

Good for Delta. They should bring back smoking and peanuts and help clear out the riff-raff. Maybe introduce a dress code.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/11/delta-bans-support-animals-from-long-flights--and-no-puppies.html

Still a mark, mark.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 08:53:14 am »

Demartino airlines; International flights from Busan to Seoul including kimchi bar serving a selection of Korea's finest handcrafted kimchi, complinmentary tofu pillows, roasted chesnuts (Tino roasts them himself), Yellow dust mask emblazoned with Korean flag. Complimentary nut rub for all guests. Discounts available for native Koreans. Foreigners pay 2x the base price out of respect for the culture.
Who is here in 2019?

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 09:53:03 am »

Demartino airlines; International flights from Busan to Seoul including kimchi bar serving a selection of Korea's finest handcrafted kimchi, complinmentary tofu pillows, roasted chesnuts (Tino roasts them himself), Yellow dust mask emblazoned with Korean flag. Complimentary nut rub for all guests. Discounts available for native Koreans. Foreigners pay 2x the base price out of respect for the culture.

Listening options will be:
- fruit truck salesman
- the sounds of spitting
-noodle slurping
- stomping neighbors
-random person banging and grinding on metal

Movie options will be:
-Youtube rabbit holes, consisting of interviews of Koreans proudly presenting their arguments of why they don't like foreigners
-2002 World Cup highlights (with the horrid officiating and cheating Koreans, edited for the Korean ego)
-2006 World Cup, replaying the crime against Korea by the Swiss
-"Why the World Loves K-Pop"
-"Please Teacher Me English" (OK..that IS a funny movie)
-Documentary, "Why Korean Beer IS the BEST".

Complimentary Items: 
Free toilet paper containing all posts by gogators, sandersB and the omelette guy...slightly used, of course.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:01:01 am by NorthStar »

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 09:55:18 am »

and of course no free wifi...

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 10:18:11 am »
Still a mark, mark.
Says the person who took my therapy parrot comment literally.

Chestnuts suck.

DeMartino Airlines would have a dress code, smoking throughout the plane, a cigar bar, a baccarat table in 1st class, video blackjack in business, and keno on the screen in economy. Cocktails would flow. More room and less people. Higher prices, so the skinflints would be SOL, though a lot of the extra costs would be recoupped through gambling and tobacco sales. Economy class would be more like Premium Economy. The big margins would come on selling booze, cigars, and smokes to Chinese, Russia, and Middle Eastern businessmen at 500% markup, combined with gaming money.

Now you might be saying that smoking could be a problem, so maybe we'd have to compromise (sigh) and restrict it to lounges in the front and the back of the plane. At least you can still vape in the cabin.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:19:44 am by Mr.DeMartino »