Read 4471 times

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: What countries didn't live up to the hype?
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2019, 11:51:04 am »
Ah, classic Ken M, the Camden of trolls!
 :laugh:

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2019, 02:34:30 pm »
I was disappointed by Japan, as well. I had been wanting to go since I was a teenager and I was like....it's clean, people keep to themselves, and all that but after a week, I was pretty bored. I went to several cities, went hiking, went to all these cool restaurants I saw on the Food Network, so I tried. There is a bigger sense of isolation there compared to Korea, and I think it messed with my brain.

IA on the Jeju comments. I don't know what I was expecting. I've actually been to Hawaii, and calling it a Korean Hawaii is nowhere near true. The beaches in Hawaii alone are just pure beauty, picture perfect, clean with warm water.

I went to Gamcheon in Busan which they like to call "The Santorini of Korea" and my Greek friend who came with me was just (rightly so) absolutely appalled at the suggestion haha. I don't know who comes up with this crap.

National pride is one thing...but come on. They just can't give other countries their due...it's almost like "Hawaii, huh? Well we have Jeju, we're just as good."

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2019, 02:56:10 pm »
National pride is one thing...but come on. They just can't give other countries their due...it's almost like "Hawaii, huh? Well we have Jeju, we're just as good."

My favourite tourism point in the history of tourism.

Daebudi, the Hawaii of Ansan.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=1751677
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2019, 03:09:22 pm »
I went to Gamcheon in Busan which they like to call "The Santorini of Korea" and my Greek friend who came with me was just (rightly so) absolutely appalled at the suggestion haha. I don't know who comes up with this crap.

I went to Gamcheon with a friend my first year, and a random young Korean guy approached us so that he could tell us this (that Gamcheon is the Santorini of Korea). He thought it would impress us, but my friend is from Europe, and she used to travel to Greece every year with her family. She couldn't hide what she thought about his comment, lol, and his friends (who were watching nearby) were cracking up at our reactions to his strange approach.

« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2019, 06:18:43 pm »
South Korea: dirty. Loud. Good money and easy working conditions for ESL.

Japan: loved Kyoto and Okinawa. Liked Hiroshima. Found Osaka and Tokyo boring.

Vietnam: a lot better than I expected. A very funky country that is easy to be a tourist in. Great beer.

Thailand: Only went to Phuket. Amazing cheap food. Pasty Europeans everywhere. Driving a car was way less stressful than in Korea, which was weird.

Taiwan: also a lot better than I expected. Taipei has a really charming decayed jungle rot look to it. Not much to do as a tourist compared to other Asian countries, but the people are really nice which goes a long way. Drivers are 10,000 times more courteous than in Korea. I didn't like the food at all though, every Chinese food place I went to only served stewy glop which is not my preferred kind of Chinese food.

Canada: only went to BC. It's ok, basically it's like the fantasy of California being laid back (California is NOT laid back), but way more boring.

USA: 50 different countries who all hate one another. Most states suck but some are really nice.

New Zealand: if I didn't live here I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to visit it. It's kind of a dreary place, the weather is either crappy and cloudy or the sun burns your skin because of the ozone hole. The people are ok though I get tired of New Zealanders boasting about "Kiwi ingenuity." Great, you fixed your car with a screwdriver and a plastic bag. Now go put a man on the moon.

China: just one big hellhole. It's like all the bad things about Korea turned up to 11, and none of the good things.

England: nice countryside, wretched boring cities.

Scotland: nice cities, wretched boring countryside.

France: Paris is amazing and anyone who doesn't like it is mental and probably British.

Germany: basically like America in another language. Not my cup of tea.

Italy: didn't enjoy myself much. Too many tourists, cars zipping around at 150kph on tiny streets, surprisingly bad food.

Spain: only went to Barcelona. I was surprised that nobody spoke English but this was almost 20 years ago.

The Bahamas: only went to Nassau which is a dump but I found a really nice secret beach which was very very cool.

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2019, 07:09:41 pm »
South Korea: dirty. Loud. Good money and easy working conditions for ESL.

Japan: loved Kyoto and Okinawa. Liked Hiroshima. Found Osaka and Tokyo boring.

Vietnam: a lot better than I expected. A very funky country that is easy to be a tourist in. Great beer.

Thailand: Only went to Phuket. Amazing cheap food. Pasty Europeans everywhere. Driving a car was way less stressful than in Korea, which was weird.

Taiwan: also a lot better than I expected. Taipei has a really charming decayed jungle rot look to it. Not much to do as a tourist compared to other Asian countries, but the people are really nice which goes a long way. Drivers are 10,000 times more courteous than in Korea. I didn't like the food at all though, every Chinese food place I went to only served stewy glop which is not my preferred kind of Chinese food.

Canada: only went to BC. It's ok, basically it's like the fantasy of California being laid back (California is NOT laid back), but way more boring.

USA: 50 different countries who all hate one another. Most states suck but some are really nice.

New Zealand: if I didn't live here I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to visit it. It's kind of a dreary place, the weather is either crappy and cloudy or the sun burns your skin because of the ozone hole. The people are ok though I get tired of New Zealanders boasting about "Kiwi ingenuity." Great, you fixed your car with a screwdriver and a plastic bag. Now go put a man on the moon.

China: just one big hellhole. It's like all the bad things about Korea turned up to 11, and none of the good things.

England: nice countryside, wretched boring cities.

Scotland: nice cities, wretched boring countryside.

France: Paris is amazing and anyone who doesn't like it is mental and probably British.

Germany: basically like America in another language. Not my cup of tea.

Italy: didn't enjoy myself much. Too many tourists, cars zipping around at 150kph on tiny streets, surprisingly bad food.

Spain: only went to Barcelona. I was surprised that nobody spoke English but this was almost 20 years ago.

The Bahamas: only went to Nassau which is a dump but I found a really nice secret beach which was very very cool.

+1
My country just got a luke-warm rating. Considering the rest of your list, this makes me happy!

Oh, and if you ever publish a travel guide, let me know. I'll totally buy a copy!

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2019, 09:07:48 pm »
1) Jamaica: I never felt safe and a person can only smoke so much reefer without becoming a zombie

2) China: I regretted going there before my plane had touched down. I've never been in a filthier more disgusting rancid sewer in my life.

Where did you go there? I lived in Zhengzhou for more than 2 years and it was spotless and I travelled to quite a few cities in central China and down to Xiamen in the south and they were spotless too. In fact I found they were obsessive when it came to keeping their cities clean.

However, that being said, I know China is huge and no doubt there are many places as you describe but not all of China is like that.
Zhengzhou Spring 2016 just a couple of pics walking to the store.....
These are selective, but they are also representative.
Xian was nice.

never been to Zhengzhou or even heard of it but the pics here look pretty nice and absolutely nothing like the TWO photos you've posted (you posted the one pic twice, btw). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhengzhou

go out to Gangwon-do or basically any province in korea and you can find many places that look exactly like those two pics you've posted (i know because i've traveled to those places).

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2019, 09:32:01 pm »
Japan? I've been there six times and still would like to go again: Hokkaido in winter especially; Okinawa islands during summer storm season. BUT IT'S A BLOODY EXPENSIVE COUNTRY!!!

Beijing was a huge letdown because the brown sky and choking bad air day left me barely able to climb the Great Wall, and have no view to enjoy. It was a dystopian two days I spent in that city.

Guam lived up to the hype for 48 hours. Hit the beaches, Jamaican restaurants, shopping, a night on one coast, a night on another... the problem  was I had booked 9 days for this winter getaway and it seriously lacks a sense of nature. I enjoyed the weather and the sea, but it is not a place to chill out for days on end like at Thai beaches.

« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2019, 10:34:35 pm »
Oh, and if you ever publish a travel guide, let me know. I'll totally buy a copy!

Supposedly thick person saying thick things about countries he doesn't really know anything about has already been done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Idiot_Abroad

He should probably stay with his thick person calling people he doesn't know anything about white supremacists schtick.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2019, 11:08:04 pm »
Supposedly thick person saying thick things about countries he doesn't really know anything about has already been done.

Karl is an ignorant nonce............ but that's the shtick. Mayor haggered is all the content with none of the laughs.

The joys of fauxtherhood

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2019, 12:03:44 am »
South Korea: dirty. Loud.

I had no mental image of Korea before I got here so it was hard to be disappointed. I did think the students would be all quiet, bowing and respectful though.

Vietnam: A very funky country that is easy to be a tourist in.

Really? Aggressive people with a chip on the shoulder who view outsiders as walking cash machines and nothing more.

Italy:  surprisingly bad food.

Agreed, it was surprising. Hard to stomach the wierd food. Curly wafers substituting for bread.

Enjoyed the culture but.. expensive to fly into and out of. Not exactly a tourist hub either, nobody speaks a lick of English.

Catch my drift?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2019, 12:26:25 am »
Korea? (Did someone really say that?)

There was such a LACK of preconceived notions.

M.A.S.H. just doesn't prepare one.

I had no idea LG or KIA were Korean. Some Taiwan-like satellite of China with manufacturing modernity and an urban vibe was all I expected.

I had few expectations other than what I'd gleaned from previous expats.

Maybe the Gangnam style generation has expectations of... greatness? New York, London, Tokyo glamor? ... rural rustic Cambodian charm? Japanese zen?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:28:47 am by VanIslander »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2019, 11:55:22 am »
Karl is an ignorant nonce............ but that's the shtick. Mayor hagger is all the content with none of the laughs.
I might actually check it out: I really loved pretty much all of Anthony Bourdain's stuff, so having something a bit less sophisticated might make for a nice contrast!
   Also, in the Korea episode of No Reservations, he went to Yeongcheon and visited some places that I've actually eaten at. Was pretty awesome!!

« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2019, 12:12:05 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Idiot_Abroad

He should probably stay with his thick person calling people he doesn't know anything about white supremacists schtick.

England: imagine a country full of eggieguffers: tiresome xenophobes who complain about everything and love being miserable. 2/10 food is gross

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2019, 12:30:12 pm »
tiresome xenophobes who complain about everything

Most states suck
wretched boring cities.
wretched boring countryside.
surprisingly bad food.
only went to Nassau which is a dump
It's kind of a dreary place
the weather is either crappy and cloudy or the sun burns your skin because of the ozone hole.
but way more boring.
I didn't like the food at all
Found Osaka and Tokyo boring.
didn't enjoy myself much.

Self awareness not your strong point.

« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2019, 12:31:31 pm »
The people in Gamcheon calling their place Santorini sound like the people in Manchester, NH who call their town ManchVegas. In town it's probably a big thing and might have started as a gimmick until some city council person got wind and turned it into an actual thing and people started believing their own BS. To people from anywhere else, it just comes across as sad.

« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »

Most states suck
wretched boring cities.
surprisingly bad food.
the weather is either crappy and cloudy or the sun burns your skin because of the ozone hole.
but way more boring.

You're just miserable that I didn't like your miserable country enough. Try harder to be like Vietnam or Glasgow.

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2019, 04:49:42 pm »

Most states suck
wretched boring cities.
surprisingly bad food.
but way more boring.

You're just miserable that I didn't like your miserable country enough. Try harder to be like Vietnam or Glasgow.

Actually I was brought up in the English countryside, which I'm delighted you think is 'nice.' There's no finer place to be on a summer's day. 

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2019, 07:46:46 am »
Haha British people really do get it in the neck on this website don't they?

At least Piggydee liked it when she visited (I think!)  8)

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2019, 10:38:08 am »
I loved England, Scotland, Wales...that entire island lived up to the hype I had in mind.