Read 5174 times

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
What countries didn't live up to the hype?
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:30:14 pm »
What countries have you visited that you were really underwhelmed by? 

I think if I was a MAJOR Kpop junkie I would say Korea because I noticed a lot of girls come here of hopes of finding an "oppa" only to find out that the men here are just as complex as any other man on earth and hard to get to know on a personal level.  Unless you look like a Disney princess or Elsa from Frozen you aren't going to get your Kdrama happily ever after.  The men here I've noticed fair better for getting girls and married right off the plane but that's only if you hold a certain passport.  I don't see guys from struggling countries getting hooked up as quickly as say a US military guy or an English teacher.  But I digress.  Thankfully I didn't come here with kpop/kdrama dreams and I enjoy Korea for what it is.  A safe country that offers decent pay for the work that you do.  I've grown very comfortable here that I would encourage anyone to live and work here.  However, I really do try to warn those with kdrama fantasies that it's not like what you see on the shows.  I think a lot of girls who come here get really disappoint and heartbroken by that.

Personally the one country that didn't live up to the hype for me was Japan.  Color me stupid but I thought I'd see large scale statues of anime characters and people dressed like they were from the year 3000.  I didn't really see much of way of anime and I didn't even see the famous "Hakrajuku girls."  I did managed to see  A LOT of Japanese men who were dressed like they were part of the 80s band Motley Cru.  But to me that all felt dated.   Plus at the time when I went I was shocked to see not many people using a smartphone.  I'm sure that's all changed now.  I just expected to see more futuristic stuff and not have the subway system be a headache and what not.   

So what country didn't live up to the hype for you.

I'm curious to see any non-American talk about their experiences in America if they ever visited.  Honestly I think that's one country that doesn't live up to the hype either. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:33:30 pm by Piggydee »

Re: What countries didn't live up to the hype?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 01:33:22 pm »
For me, I was quite disappointed by Philippines. Palawan island was great, but Cebu etc were really disappointing. Also, the food was generally nowhere near as good as I had hoped it would be.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:34:13 pm »
Jeju. It was good but it's not some sort of change your life beautiful paradise. It was good.

Ulleungdo, OTOH.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:37:17 pm »
Jeju. It was good but it's not some sort of change your life beautiful paradise. It was good.

Ulleungdo, OTOH.

Yeah I think that's  why I keep putting off Jeju.  I think a nice 3 or 4 days would suit me but I don't think I want to spend all my school vacation time there.  That's why I always bounce from this country to go see something 100% brand new!

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 01:40:08 pm »

Ulleungdo, OTOH.

I still haven't been to Jeju, and I've been here for almost nine years. It looks boring and dumb.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 01:42:02 pm »

Ulleungdo, OTOH.

I still haven't been to Jeju, and I've been here for almost nine years. It looks boring and dumb.

I think next time I have a 3 day weekend I need to make my way down there.  And during good weather.  I can't image going now and it's still as stupid cold as it is now in most of Korea.   :huh:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:58 pm »
I remember going to America when I was a kid and it made my head spin. Coming from late 1980s New Zealand, to Los Angeles, blew my mind. Fast food everywhere, kinds of fast food I'd never seen. Theme Parks, real life Americans talking with American accents. Everyone was so nice to us. A TV channel with ONLY cartoons on it. They make a face out of bacon and eggs at Denny's for breakfast. It lived up to all the hype and then some. Going back as a 20 something and 30 something I always enjoyed my time there. I don't think America really has that much hype. It's just America.

A place that didn't live up to the hype, sorry to be a downer, but Korea. Maybe I had the reverse of Piggy. I spent 2 years living in Japan, so coming to Korea after, it just felt like Korea was "Japan, but dirty, grey and rude". I remember in my first week thinking oh man, I've made a big mistake. I stuck it out though. The things we do for love. I've returned to Japan a few times and it just makes me not want to go back to Korea.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 01:54:29 pm »
I spent 2 years living in Japan, so coming to Korea after, it just felt like Korea was "Japan, but dirty, grey and rude". I remember in my first week thinking oh man, I've made a big mistake. I stuck it out though. The things we do for love. I've returned to Japan a few times and it just makes me not want to go back to Korea.

Yeah I think I had the reserve like you when it came to Japan.  Pretty pissed that out of all the Asian countries where English isn't the norm, that was the one I was kicked out of because "No English, No picture."  Never had that happen to me in Korea, China, Thailand, Indonesia any where really!  Just Japan.  I could understand China but the people still handed me an All Chinese menu with no pictures and still served me. 

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 01:58:11 pm »
i suppose if you just go to one city, it's difficult not to judge the whole place after just being to that one city.  if I had only been to Paris, I'd have said that France was a let down, but after going to Alsace, Normandy and Lille, it gave it a more favourable impression.  Like Cowboy said, Cebu is nothing really to write home about, but then again there are the nicer bits of the Philippines.  food wasn't all that much either.  if you only went to Ulaan Bataar, then you'd think Mongolia was poop, but the countryside is amazing.  i'm a real countryside person and feel that a lot of cities are very much the same, but then again maybe that's just me.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 02:04:31 pm »
i suppose if you just go to one city, it's difficult not to judge the whole place after just being to that one city.  if I had only been to Paris, I'd have said that France was a let down, but after going to Alsace, Normandy and Lille, it gave it a more favourable impression.  Like Cowboy said, Cebu is nothing really to write home about, but then again there are the nicer bits of the Philippines.  food wasn't all that much either.  if you only went to Ulaan Bataar, then you'd think Mongolia was poop, but the countryside is amazing.  i'm a real countryside person and feel that a lot of cities are very much the same, but then again maybe that's just me.

Totally agree about Paris and France. I think you've hit the nail on the head there about the one city thing. It can take time and travelling around a bit to really appreciate a country and find the good spots (and obviously everyone is different!).

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 02:05:22 pm »

Ulleungdo, OTOH.

Yeah I think that's  why I keep putting off Jeju.  I think a nice 3 or 4 days would suit me but I don't think I want to spend all my school vacation time there.  That's why I always bounce from this country to go see something 100% brand new!

I went to Jeju last month for 3 days, and it felt 1 day too long TBH.
A lot of places in Korea feel similar to other places. I travelled a bit here in my first year, but now, I tend to travel away.

For me, I'd have to say China. But, that is mostly because I got sick on my first day, and didn't really get to go and experience things as well as I would have liked to.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 02:10:21 pm »
I spent 2 years living in Japan, so coming to Korea after, it just felt like Korea was "Japan, but dirty, grey and rude". I remember in my first week thinking oh man, I've made a big mistake. I stuck it out though. The things we do for love. I've returned to Japan a few times and it just makes me not want to go back to Korea.

Yeah I think I had the reserve like you when it came to Japan.  Pretty pissed that out of all the Asian countries where English isn't the norm, that was the one I was kicked out of because "No English, No picture."  Never had that happen to me in Korea, China, Thailand, Indonesia any where really!  Just Japan.  I could understand China but the people still handed me an All Chinese menu with no pictures and still served me.

Oh wow :O I lived in Japan for a bit before coming to Korea, myself. IMO, Japan is better for living in, but Korea is better for working. It feels like, Korea is more laid back with foreigners than Korea, in the workplace.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 02:15:46 pm »
I can't agree enough about Jeju.

It's ok if you get a cheap, cheap fare and you've got a couple of days to kill.

The beaches were terrible. The sea was just a wall of people sitting in those huge rubber rings bumper to bumper.  Even if you managed to somehow get through the crowds of people...you couldn't swim further than waist height without being yelled at by the lifeguards.

I also didn't feel quite as safe walking around at night, had a really dodgy experience with men following me in their car and repeatedly asking me to go to a motel. Just felt really seedy in parts compared to most of Korea.

I will never understand when people tell me it's their favourite place.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 02:18:44 pm »
I kinda like the fact that Jeju feels like mainland Korea, but with different vegetation, climate, landscape, etc. I hadn't been here that long when I went there, though, so I might not have the same opinion now.

I like Japan but have zero interest in all the stuff everyone else goes there for, and to be honest, I don't really understand why an adult would visit a foreign country just to chase after plastic toys and stuffed animals. Each to their own, I guess. I think I'm less keen on Japan because I lived there for a year in a boring, ugly commuter town in Saitama linked to Tokyo by a train full of identically dressed men, usually either sleeping or staggering drunk. I guess the Korean equivalent would be some grey town of 30,000 in Gyeonggi-do, made tolerable only by a transit link to Seoul. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 02:20:43 pm »
I can't agree enough about Jeju.

It's ok if you get a cheap, cheap fare and you've got a couple of days to kill.

The beaches were terrible. The sea was just a wall of people sitting in those huge rubber rings bumper to bumper.  Even if you managed to somehow get through the crowds of people...you couldn't swim further than waist height without being yelled at by the lifeguards.

I also didn't feel quite as safe walking around at night, had a really dodgy experience with men following me in their car and repeatedly asking me to go to a motel. Just felt really seedy in parts compared to most of Korea.

I will never understand when people tell me it's their favourite place.

I honestly felt, like jeju was more of a Chinese town than Korean TBH. At least, where I was staying, the population was mostly Chinese people, and the touristy spots had mostly Chinese writing and signs haha.

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 02:21:41 pm »
I don't really understand why an adult would visit a foreign country just to chase after plastic toys and stuffed animals.

Before the blowback starts, this wasn't a dig at anyone on here. I've met several people here in Korea and back in the US who've gone to Japan and come back with a suitcase full of plastic crap, probably made in China.

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 02:24:10 pm »
Germany. The country is saturated with hipsters, graffiti, and mediocre food.
Articles of Confederation, the supreme law of the land.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:17 pm »
I don't really understand why an adult would visit a foreign country just to chase after plastic toys and stuffed animals.

Before the blowback starts, this wasn't a dig at anyone on here. I've met several people here in Korea and back in the US who've gone to Japan and come back with a suitcase full of plastic crap, probably made in China.

your comment just made kumamon hurt himself...

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 02:35:48 pm »
Without a doubt, Jeju, been there twice.

While it's still part of Korea, despite being self-governing, the fact that it gets so much damn hype is why I'm nominating it. My CT has been there... 15 times! Yes, 15 times.

Without the hoards of Chinese and Koreans jostling around the place and the gaudy attractions (Oh look, a famous idol took a photo at that spot. IDGAF), it would be... <meh>, at best. A few of the sights, particularly that crater in the ground are quite beautiful, but it's just not for me. I need some excitement and adventure and Jeju's the last place you'll find that, it pretty much sums up all attractions in Korea, mild thrills for bored families and old people.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 02:36:13 pm »

I've met a few like that. But I'd say the proportion was about the same as girls who are here for K-pop/dramas.

Where did you live in Saitama?
Kpip! - Martin 2018