Read 643 times

• UKsimon
  • Veteran

• September 20, 2010, 09:04:01 am
I have seen public school jobs advertised with very different start dates, e.g. October 1st, November 1st.

Does anyone have any experience with these? - Once your contract runs out, September 30th or October 31st for example - Is there an option to remain until the end of the semester (End of February) like the other schools?

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
I took one of those jobs. The first contract went November to August, the next August to February (from what I understand, they prefer you to be on February contracts, so that if you leave, it's not the middle of the school year), and then regular 1 year contracts. Vacation days are pro-rated, and you earn severance after a calendar year, so you'd have to re-sign to get that. You also get any raises (based on experience/years worked) after exactly a calendar year, not by contract (in my experience).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:24:01 pm by shostager »

• UKsimon
  • Veteran

• September 20, 2010, 09:04:01 am
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping you would be able to stay on for a few extra months for the sake of the students as much as the school.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
The two shorter contracts effectively did that - e.g. start beginning of November 2017, end February 2019 (~1 year 4 months). You might be able to get a single contract that goes for that long as well - they do prefer you leave in February, so the POE/MOE might be on board with that.

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
I came in June and was given a contract that took me through to February. Then I had to sign a 6 month contract, and after that, I signed a full year contract. Which puts me on the August contract cycle. I was at the same school throughout this time. 

• joanns
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2014, 01:21:46 pm
    more
I am currently in a July - June contract. Am about to finish my 2nd full contract. Will sign on for a 3rd full contract, and I want to see if I can extend until either the end of July or Dec. '20/Feb. '21.
Both of my contracts have stated "July 1st - June 30th." I expect my third will declare the same.
Apparently, this is quite common in Gyeongsang(nam)-do. I don't know many people here, but of the ones I do, no one has a "normal" contract that starts or ends in March or September.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Many provincial jobs have start dates whenever the teacher leaves.  If they quit or they may have been hired late.  I was a late hire simply because during Korea's golden age (pre Great Recession) the provincial positions couldn't get anybody.  It took them months to find a person.  I applied through a recruiter and got here just over 3 weeks later.  They even paid my flight.  Someone called with poor English and asked me if I knew Korea had four seasons or not.  Then, they tried to tell me how great it would be to experience a rural area and then thanked me for applying.  I am grandfathered in.  I keep renewing my contract at that time.  There are a few hires then but they are getting to be less and less.