Read 15399 times

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
Re: Are Koreans completely immune to noise?
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2019, 11:07:42 am »
all of my classes are cancelled today due to some kind of science festival - so let me drop this gem

january 1st 2019 i move out of my school sponsored apartment and into my now-wife's dojo. it's a respectable set of high rise apartments in a nice part of town. the second night shit hits the fan.

we live above the 10th floor but below the 20th. on our floor, we are the 2nd to last apartment in the hallway. meaning...our neighbors to the right are the last apartment and the floor dead ends.

it's a Tuesday night and we're chilling at home watching netflix when we hear the neighbors getting loud. it's nothing crazy, but it was enough for us both to look at each other like...wtf?? not a huge deal, plus its only like 8-830. it wasn't just that they were screaming at each other (a male and female) but also it sounded like they were just continuously RUNNING back and forth in their apartment. also, the way the apartments are set up, the washing machine and refrigerator are kept on the veranda. the sliding door to the veranda is quite heavy and we can hear when the neighbors on either side of us slide the door open. it sounds like they are running back and forth, opening and closing the heavy sliding veranda door every 2 or 3 minutes. i was more curious than angry because there's not a lot of real estate to be running around in these apartments...so wtf are they doing??

i keep brushing it off even though my wife is pissed now. they're yelling at each other loud enough for us to hear everything. i ask my wife what they're fighting about and she tells me....i dont know. im like...what do you mean you dont know? they're speaking korean...what are they saying? she says...i can't understand them, it sounds like they're talking gibberish. (keep this in mind) im like come onnnn just listen and tell me what they're saying. she keeps telling me they aren't making any sense. its all gibberish.

so now it's 9 or 9:15 and my wife is like we've gotta say something to them..this is crazy. my thing is this...if its a friday or saturday, i dont give a shit what you do. get fcked up, get loud, whatever you wanna do. its the weekend and i get it. but this is a Tuesday night. i tell my wife let's just chill and wait until 10 and if they are still going at it, we might have to ask them to keep it down.

9:30pm and they're still shouting gibberish. they're running back and forth and we can hear the heavy sliding veranda door opening and closing every few minutes.

it's not quite 10pm when our doorbell rings. we both kinda jump and are like wtf??? i tell her to sit down and i go open the door and nobody is there. (remember how we are the 2nd to last apartment in the hallway) there's no reason for anybody to ring our bell. i was like...that's it. i was trying to be cool but they invited this on themselves. i ring their bell and knock on the door. i didn't wanna start yelling or cussing because this our new home and my first interaction with a neighbor. plus, im like 180cm 100kg and i look russian. i didn't want anybody to freak out more than they already are. the young korean dude opens the door a bit (he looked like 18-22) and i just asked him who rang my bell? didn't yell or accuse anybody...just casually asked what was up? he immediately starts apologizing and bowing...but like real dramatically. i tried to say something like....it's no problem, but we're tired so please have a good night.

you'd think after that, they would either chill the fck out or maybe take the party outside. no dice...they continue screaming and running to the point my wife has had enough. she's like let's go and talk to them.

we ring their bell again and this is where sht gets weird. they open the door and the first thing we notice is they have zero furniture in the apartment. no beds, no sleeping mats, no sofa, no tv, etc. second thing is there is trash everywhere. beer bottles, soju bottles, empty ramen cups, mcdonalds bags, allll over the floor. my wife airs them out about how loud they're being and how rude it is. finally, my wife says if they keep it up she's calling the cops. i just stood there and flexed.

we close the door and walk the 3 feet back to our apartment and close the door. immediately she starts complaining about the smell and opens all our windows. i noticed a pretty gnarly smell too...but i didn't think anything of it until she described it. she said and i quote "it smells like they are burning plastic".

immediately after my wife talked her sht to them and mentioned calling the fuzz, we could hear them freaking out. then we heard the sounds of plastic bags and them cleaning up bottles and shit. 10 min later, we hear them leave the apartment with plastic bags full of trash. that was the last we heard of them that night.

so i start thinking...the running back and forth, the yelling gibberish, the trash everywhere, having zero furniture, and my wife saying "it smells like they're burning plastic" ... i tell my wife i bet they're cooking meth. whaaaaaaaaaaat?? drugs don't exist in korea...lol  im like oooooook...if you're young and tired of drinking soju and wanna get lit up but can't buy any bud or white....what's the one drug you can actually make? meth  PLUS - their apartment is perfect for it. they're the last unit on the floor, so nobody has any reason to go down the hall, so they could potentially cook their sht up and not worry about anything. and like i had mentioned earlier, the opening and closing of the heavy veranda door every few minutes....if I was gonna hot pot some ice, i would do it on my veranda where i could take hits of it and then close the door to keep the smell locked in the veranda. besides, most koreans wouldn't know the smell or behavior of somebody high on that sht....just like my wife had no clue.

don't know if it makes any difference, but this young couple work at a factory. my wife had seen them before with the factory uniform jackets on. my wife's work has her dealing with foreigners and factories often...and big surprise...meth is low key really easy to get your hands if you work with chinese or thai laborers.

so...WayGOok.ORg uSeRS, what do you think?

** UPDATE for anybody that gives a sht **

after the initial fckfest with my new neighbors, things had chilled out and there's been no issues. for the past week or so, i've been randomly running into the dude and his chick coming in and out of the elevators or outside in the smoking area. they must have changed their work schedule or shift because i've never seen them coming or going like i have recently. anway, it's awkward, but i roll with it because in my mind, they were the ones being cnts so why should i feel bad.

but yesterday was different. i was gonna grab a smoke so i head to the elevator and as i'm rounding the corner, i saw the guy and his side piece. the dude literally jumped and gasped. like a tom and jerry cartoon or some sht. i felt bad because it was not a good look on his part, especially in front of his gal. i woulda rather had him punch me in the face...i woulda understood it's a natural reflex.

so i'm smoking outside and i'm like alright i'm gonna end this pseudo drama and extend an olive branch. i'm not still mad and if anything, i'd rather be cool with my neighbors. so i go back upstairs and throw a few blueberry muffins my wife made in some tupperware. (pro-tip for everybody: buy an air-fryer. shit is aces for more than just french fries or samgyeopsal) i take the muffins and knock on their door. the dude opens it a crack and im like...listen bro, enjoy these muffins. they're delicious. he was super grateful.

now, i strategically gave them the muffins in a tupperware container so that they would have to return said tupperware and it would give us a chance for another interaction. i'm hoping we can be chill with each other.

yesterday morning, i'm walking to the gym. it's super early, like 5:45am. nobody is out yet and i take the same 10 minute route every day. as i'm walking, in the distance i see a couple walking towards me. it's them. i'm like fcccccccccccccccccc cck me, even though i'm trying to be cool with them, it's just too early for this. as we get closer, i see they are STUMBLING and laughing. they are goofy drunk at 6am. first of all, i'm jealous. i fcking WISH i was hammered instead of just starting my stupid day and secondly, i understand people who work different shifts. knowing they work at a factory, i'm imagining they worked the 2nd shift and my breakfast time is their dinner time. whatever, i'm not judging anybody.

as we closer, we both recognize each other. instead of ignoring them or waiting for them to say something or being awkward, i said good morning and asked if they enjoyed the muffins. it was awesome and hilarious...they started going off about how delicious they were. i think the dude was trying to ask me about how to return the tupperware (genius move on my part) and i tried to pantomime leaving it outside my door. dude had no clue what i was getting at lol. i said cheers and have a good day and then we got into the korean stand-off of unnecessarily bowing 40 times as we backed away from each other.

Enjoyed the first half and I was amped for the update but I don't like happy endings (don't do it). Can we stir the pot please. Purchase a drone and fly it up to the veranda to see what's going on there perhaps.
Soggy undergarments

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2019, 11:26:55 am »
they are goofy drunk at 6am. first of all, i'm jealous. i fcking WISH i was hammered instead of just starting my stupid day
Each to his own, but being hammered at 6am (or even just hammered in general) sounds pretty terrible to me. That's what one's early 20s are for, no? 

i don't care what sounds terrible to you
Damn bro, chill out

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2019, 11:48:08 am »
they are goofy drunk at 6am. first of all, i'm jealous. i fcking WISH i was hammered instead of just starting my stupid day
Each to his own, but being hammered at 6am (or even just hammered in general) sounds pretty terrible to me. That's what one's early 20s are for, no? 

i don't care what sounds terrible to you
Damn bro, chill out

each to his own, no?
too many blueprints & not enough architects

« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2019, 01:04:51 pm »
Enjoyed the first half and I was amped for the update but I don't like happy endings (don't do it). Can we stir the pot please. Purchase a drone and fly it up to the veranda to see what's going on there perhaps.
Seriously, I was hoping for a meth lab explosion or something.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2019, 01:10:05 pm »
Seriously, I was hoping for a meth lab explosion or something.

I never, EVER, thought I would EVER read this sentence in my LIFE.
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2019, 03:59:07 pm »
Watching our TV is a contrast between myself and wife (and her family members).

If I'm watching some non-Korean thing at volume 10 then she'll tell me that it's soooo loud.

But she watches all her Korean shows at an even higher volume with the people shouting out from the screen and thinks it's normal. Same goes when I visit her relatives and their TVs are all turned up way too high.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2019, 07:11:22 pm »
Watching our TV is a contrast between myself and wife (and her family members).

If I'm watching some non-Korean thing at volume 10 then she'll tell me that it's soooo loud.

But she watches all her Korean shows at an even higher volume with the people shouting out from the screen and thinks it's normal. Same goes when I visit her relatives and their TVs are all turned up way too high.
maaaaate. exact same thing with my wife. while i'm watching something, she'll turn down the tv without asking me, complaining it's too loud, resulting in the dialogue being literally inaudible. but when she's watching some korean tv, often when nobody is even saying anything and it's just a group of people slurping noodles like pigs, she'll turn it up! the sounds of which are so utterly vile that i honestly just have to leave the room

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2019, 07:30:43 pm »
but when she's watching some korean tv, often when nobody is even saying anything and it's just a group of people slurping noodles like pigs, she'll turn it up!
http://youtu.be/L7K-kaelQEs?t=126

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7K-kaelQEs&feature=youtu.be&t=126
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG