Read 795 times

• Nolz
  • Explorer

• August 03, 2016, 12:45:44 am
    • South Africa
Working in Korea while HIV+
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:59:39 pm »
I have been in Korea for 3 years.

And over the years I've had people reach out to me asking if they can apply to work in Korea while HIV+. While I have discouraged them from applying because I feel that it would be a waste of money and time to come to Korea only to be deported.

I just wanted to know from other people if this is the case or I have been giving wrong information.

TIA

Re: Working in Korea while HIV+
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 01:33:57 pm »
Major grey area. Word recently was that the ban had been lifted, but MOEs keep testing anyway. I'm honestly not sure.

Anyway, Mr. DeMartino will probably be along shortly to tell us why HIV+ people have no place in Korea. He's done it before.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 01:48:37 pm »
Naw, if a place of employment knows that a person is HIV+, they'll definitely turn them away. There's a huge stigma over it here. Even Koreans who are HIV+ will bribe their doctors to keep that info secret and off the record because they could lose their jobs over it and get ostracized. Imagine the level of stigma attached when it's a foreigner.

And while HIV testing is supposed to be banned, it still happens. People who are HIV+ and who want to work here legally will definitely be wasting their times applying. There's no guarantee they'll end up at a place that will actually honor the ban, and there's no guarantee that the info won't end up getting illegally leaked by someone who has access to the info.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:01:57 pm by Chinguetti »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 02:15:04 pm »
The ban hasn't been comprehensively lifted.

The visa requirement for HIV has technically been lifted...immigration no longer checks your HIV status, but the Ministry of Education, Local Offices of Education and schools do and still require teachers to be HIV -ve.

A bunch of loopholes and plausible deniability policies deliberately left there IMO.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:17:35 pm by waygo0k »

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 04:26:42 pm »
It's not very fair that the rules are so strict.

Isn't there medicine that can be taken these days that renders HIV noncommunicable?

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 04:44:58 pm »

Isn't there medicine that can be taken these days that renders HIV noncommunicable?

Yes, but it doesn't matter. Korea's level of education over sex and any STD/STI subject is below minimum and full of misinformation the last time I checked, and many people still believe that HIV is strictly a foreign disease. Then add in fear, politics, and traditionalism.

It's kind of hard to avoid. HIV is a scary concept to a lot of people, even for those who come from countries with a higher level of education and tolerance over it, but fear is a hard thing to overcome, and Korea hasn't reached a point where laws are created to protect against that sort of discrimination, yet.

So locals have to keep it off the radar, and foreigners have to look elsewhere.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 10:38:47 am »

Yes, but it doesn't matter. Korea's level of education over sex and any STD/STI subject is below minimum and full of misinformation the last time I checked, and many people still believe that HIV is strictly a foreign disease. Then add in fear, politics, and traditionalism.

It's kind of hard to avoid. HIV is a scary concept to a lot of people, even for those who come from countries with a higher level of education and tolerance over it, but fear is a hard thing to overcome, and Korea hasn't reached a point where laws are created to protect against that sort of discrimination, yet.

So locals have to keep it off the radar, and foreigners have to look elsewhere.
I wouldn't put a teacher in schools with AIDS, especially in elementary schools. I've been bitten a few times by angry elementary students.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 10:48:54 am »
I have been in Korea for 3 years.

And over the years I've had people reach out to me asking if they can apply to work in Korea while HIV+. While I have discouraged them from applying because I feel that it would be a waste of money and time to come to Korea only to be deported.

I just wanted to know from other people if this is the case or I have been giving wrong information.

TIA

you've been giving good information.  if the schools or companies find out that they have hiv, they are getting rejected.   that's just how it is right now. 

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 11:19:06 am »
I wouldn't put a teacher in schools with AIDS, especially in elementary schools. I've been bitten a few times by angry elementary students.

That's just weird dude. I taught elementary students (all grades, 1-6) for a full year and never encountered zombie students. And what are the odds of that bite (a) drawing blood, and (b) being ferocious enough to inflict an open wound in the attackers mouth and have that blood enter the wound? I'd hazard a guess that no one in the history of mankind has acquired HIV from biting someone else.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 11:54:09 am »

That's just weird dude. I taught elementary students (all grades, 1-6) for a full year and never encountered zombie students. And what are the odds of that bite (a) drawing blood, and (b) being ferocious enough to inflict an open wound in the attackers mouth and have that blood enter the wound? I'd hazard a guess that no one in the history of mankind has acquired HIV from biting someone else.
Granted, it was by the same student all 3 times. He bite a few other teachers just because he didn't want to do something he was supposed to. With young kids you don't know what they'll do sometimes, a bite here, a scratch there, good chance blood might be drawn.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 01:07:15 pm »

Actually (and bizarrely), there are more than a few confirmed cases of HIV infections resulting from bite wounds.
Here's a compilation of a few:
http://www.aidsmap.com/Biting/page/1322751/

It's pretty rare, though, as transmission usually requires that there be blood in the biter's mouth.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:10:41 pm by kyndo »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 01:11:27 pm »
HIV and AIDS are not the same thing.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Nolz
  • Explorer

• August 03, 2016, 12:45:44 am
    • South Africa
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 02:52:55 pm »
HIV and AIDS are not the same thing.

Thank you! There are a lot more people with HIV than there are with AIDS.

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 03:34:15 pm »

Actually (and bizarrely), there are more than a few confirmed cases of HIV infections resulting from bite wounds.
Here's a compilation of a few:
http://www.aidsmap.com/Biting/page/1322751/

It's pretty rare, though, as transmission usually requires that there be blood in the biter's mouth.

But these cases are the opposite, where the HIV+ person was the biter not the bitee. And I really hope no teachers are biting their students.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:36:24 pm by elsbethm »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 03:54:07 pm »
But these cases are the opposite, where the HIV+ person was the biter not the bitee. And I really hope no teachers are biting their students.
There are days...  >:(

But you're right. Back to the googling board!