Read 1093 times

A Friend Recommended This Job, But The HOURS**********
« on: March 17, 2019, 08:48:33 pm »
  A friend I met in Itaewon IN 2017 recommended a job in his hagwon in Gyeonggi-do. He told me a couple of weeks ago about the jobHe's quite a nice guy, and not a dodgy salesman by any means. The hagwon is  less than an hour from Seoul, so I thought it would be a super location. I'd have the advantages of the city, and it would not be congested with traffic. I might be able to jog by the river, amid the cherry blossom like I used to do in Seongnam.
   An interview was arranged, but it was with an English guy who worked there, and not the director or owner. I was told the job was only for 4 months, but I could stay longer. I was told it was 2.2 million won for a long work day: 9:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. My heart sank. I asked if the hagwon could pay for my flight. NO! I asked if they could arrange my visa while I was in the UK NO! I asked if I could see the contract NO! I was told the director wanted me to come to Korea and do a visa run in Japan.
   My answer is also NO!
   But I mention the school, because it is blatantly obvious to me that there are people who WILL teach those hours for that amount of money, and we need to refuse and say NO! I did tell my friend I might do the job for 4 months at 2.7 million won, but I need it in writing.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
Re: A Friend Recommended This Job, But The HOURS**********
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 04:47:06 pm »
mate, why dont you retrain and get your pgce?
Isnt there a govt. funded work placement route you could take on?

tbh. I'd have second thoughts to be back in that claustrophobic teaching mindset of Korean English classes and how Koreans look down on foreigners. I mean the long stares and bitter spitting. Why would you want to seek that out? I remember once a bunch of elderly I always greeted on my way to work saying nasty stuff about foreigners this and that, which is perhaps similar to how Brits are hating on East-Europeans but at least you are home.
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 04:14:23 am »
  I would like to retrain and get my PGCE. However it's not as easy as getting a CELTA. Have you retrained, and gotten your PGCE? If so, you might be able to advise me on what exactly is involved, and what the experience of training would be like.
   I would be choosing to teach in the UK after having lived abroad. Consequently, there might be extra bureaucratic hoops to jump through. I would need to get enhanced disclosure, not simple disclosure. The good news is that for me that was straightforward when I got it done for a temporary TEFL job in the UK. However, colleges of education are most likely to ask for extra criminal record checks: one for every country I have lived in! I cannot get a Korean criminal record check from outside of Korea In the case of South Korea, there are privacy laws that state that I'd have to go to a police station in Korea to get one.
Of course, I am going to double check with the authorities here to see if things are really as bad as that.

Previously, I wrote a letter to Moray House, a teacher-training college in Edinburgh. I did not ask about criminal record checks. The appeal of Moray House is that if I did my training there I might be able to commute and not live expensively in Edinburgh. Here's what I was told:

Having  done 2 years of French at university, I could not be accepted onto a Modern Languages Programme, as they did not offer Spanish as a major language programme. I'd probably have to try and do more French at the Open University, and spend more time in France to be accepted. They did suggest that I try training to be a Spanish teacher at Glasgow University, because they offer that as an option. I will obviously inquire. There would be housing costs in Glasgow, so I would need to see what public funding is available.

I also asked Moray House about teaching in primary schools. My reasoning is that since I had happily taught that age group in Korea, I might as well consider teaching them here. Before I go further, I wanted to say that Moray House was absorbed by the snooty and upscale Edinburgh University. That may explain what coes next! The staff at Moray House told me that my Korean experience was interesting. But I would really have to have spent quite a while working in primary schools here before I could even be considered as an applicant. They said that good candidates had to be turned away because the primary school route was heavily over-subscribed.

But that's Moray House/Edinburgh University. What I can say is that they did remind me that other teacher training colleges might be more open and welcoming.

Getting PGCE might be possible.

As regards funding, I am not sure. For people like me, who have lived abroad, our Conservative government has a habit of slapping making us pay the higher fees that EU students pay. However, those resident in Scotland get a much better deal. I have spent A LOT of my life in Scotland, but also lived abroad. It remains to be seen what the funding options are.

As regards teaching abroad, I really enjoyed Korea, and I do miss the country. But I am angry about not being eligible for International School and university jobs.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 07:56:51 am »
  I would like to retrain and get my PGCE. However it's not as easy as getting a CELTA. Have you retrained, and gotten your PGCE? If so, you might be able to advise me on what exactly is involved, and what the experience of training would be like.

Getting PGCE might be possible.

As regards funding, I am not sure. For people like me, who have lived abroad, our Conservative government has a habit of slapping making us pay the higher fees that EU students pay. However, those resident in Scotland get a much better deal. I have spent A LOT of my life in Scotland, but also lived abroad. It remains to be seen what the funding options are.

Take a look at this thread I made back in Feb when I gained admissions into a Distance Learning PGCE course at Leeds Beckett...cost 1,985 for both EU and non-EU students. You might still be able to get on if you complete their application procedure in time.

It won't be easy like you said, but I look forward to the challenge.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:58:55 am by waygo0k »