Read 2534 times

Re: Your Go-To Breakfast
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 07:31:10 am »
Costco or foreign food mart or Baker's table or something like that.

Good to know.

N-mart in Asan Techno Valley has some good Russian style rye. Itís right next to the vodka (I shit you not.)

That's fantastic.

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 02:21:59 pm »
  Full English all the way: Bacon, Eggs (*poached in my case), Fried Tomato, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Black Pudding (Food of the Gods...), and fried bread/soda bread (when I feel like a bit of Irish...). To accompany this I usually drink tea - top notch Sri Lankan in fact. Coffee - although I love it - doesn't really work for me with a full English...

If I'm NOT doing the full English (which would be my 'Go-To' as asked in the OP), I will usually do real oatmeal (not that GMO-laden Quaker crap...), some rye toast with Vegemite (Marmite in a pinch...), and some fruit. With this I drink coffee - again, real coffee from beans I blend and grind myself...!

After all: Breakfast is the most important5 meal of the day, so why scrimp!

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 02:27:41 pm »
(not that GMO-laden Quaker crap...)

GMOs! MSG! Gluten!

Are all fine for you.

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 02:39:53 pm »
  Full English all the way: Bacon, Eggs (*poached in my case), Fried Tomato, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Black Pudding (Food of the Gods...), and fried bread/soda bread (when I feel like a bit of Irish...). To accompany this I usually drink tea - top notch Sri Lankan in fact. Coffee - although I love it - doesn't really work for me with a full English...

me and my mates had some fried bread with our breakfast in a motorway services near Newcastle after a New Years Eve and it was so heavy.  i have no idea how much oil it was cooked in, but it was saturated.   :shocked:

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2019, 02:56:51 pm »

me and my mates had some fried bread with our breakfast in a motorway services near Newcastle after a New Years Eve and it was so heavy.  i have no idea how much oil it was cooked in, but it was saturated.   :shocked:

You got served some bad fried bread...good fried bread is only lightly 'oily'...perhaps you'll have better luck next time - maybe I'll cook up some properly for you sometime...

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 03:07:12 pm »

You got served some bad fried bread...good fried bread is only lightly 'oily'...perhaps you'll have better luck next time - maybe I'll cook up some properly for you sometime...

ok!  my mum used to cook the proper fried bread when I was young.  i just put this one time down to it's close vicinity to Newcastle.  if I see a football match at St James Park on Match of the Day and a shot in the crowd seeing the geodies without their shirts on, make me think they'd also been to this motorway services..... a lot.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:57 pm »
I miss my dad making us crepe suzette with strawberries or bananas, or even jam or cinnamon, or whipped cream or cocoa powder, canned pears or just sugar with butter, most often 4-5 different kinds piled high on one plate and it was a fun surprise to pick one and be surprised as to what kind it was when you bit into it.

It was dad's go-to breakfast when he had the time and interest to impress us, which was about twice a month.

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2019, 08:22:00 am »
I wish there was something in between the American and the English- ditch the beans, have the bread toasted, not fried, but keep the mushrooms and tomato.

Full breakfasts are divine, but that's something that pretty much can only be done once a week, tops. The other six days, some kind of continental breakfast is the way to go. Stay light and refreshed.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:03:19 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Ariadne
  • Adventurer

• January 23, 2017, 06:24:54 pm
    • Gyeongbuk-do
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2019, 10:55:09 am »
I wish there was something in between the American and the English- ditch the beans, have the bread toasted, not fired, but keep the mushrooms and tomato.

Fried bread isn't standard in a full English. They typically only eat it in Scotland and the North.

On a side note, what to do with the bacon in the scenario? How Brits and Americans cook their bacon is so different. Black pudding yay or nay?

• AMDC
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2018, 08:00:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2019, 03:28:36 pm »
I've done Intermittent fasting (9pm-1pm) for about 2 years. Though to be honest I've never eaten breakfast even when I was a kid. My stomach is always unsettled in the morning.

At some point I realized I did this accidentally. I'd say I'm in the grey area between healthy and unhealthy, physically speaking, so I can't say if it's doing good things or bad things for me.

Anyway, it's still undecided which meal is the most important of the day (the only people 'sure' of this are those in the cereal industry), but studies have shown a correlation between healthier BMI's and eating breakfast. It's been suggested that breakfast eaters tend to make healthier decisions vs non-breakfast eaters, including not smoking, exercising more often, and eating cleaner, healthier foods. Perhaps it's the early wake-up crew that take better care of their bodies vs the party crowd, and as a result, it gives the appearance that eating breakfast makes you healthier? Who knows.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2019, 06:06:39 pm »
I commented, but havenít answered yet.

2 eggs -usually as a simple omelette
Toast
Coffee

French toast if my bread is getting stale.

Usually pancakes on the weekend.

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2019, 10:19:43 pm »
McD's breakfast or Original Pancake House

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2019, 09:26:59 am »
Original Pancake House

I flat-out refuse to pay those prices. For goodness sakes, I understand there's SOME markup on foreign food, but we're talking bacon and eggs and pancakes, not feta cheese. Those are common and cheap ingredients in Korea. Like you can make the batter for like, 50 pancakes for 10 bucks or less I think.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2019, 05:22:12 pm »
Original Pancake House

I flat-out refuse to pay those prices. For goodness sakes, I understand there's SOME markup on foreign food, but we're talking bacon and eggs and pancakes, not feta cheese. Those are common and cheap ingredients in Korea. Like you can make the batter for like, 50 pancakes for 10 bucks or less I think.

For a sit-down place they arenít that bad.

Usually ~50 000 KRW for my family of 3.

For reference I paid 93 CAD (after tip) for 4 at Chez Cora last weekend.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 02:52:24 pm »
Weekends bacon and eggs or a pancake.

Weekdays usually muesili cereal.  Once in a blue moon McD's breakfast. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2019, 07:29:58 am »
I don't understand why pancakes are so expensive in Korea.

10-15 bucks for 2-3 measly pancakes with a few berries on top? All the ingredients combined to make those 2-3 pancakes cost less than 2k won FFS!

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2019, 07:40:49 am »
I don't understand why pancakes are so expensive in Korea.

10-15 bucks for 2-3 measly pancakes with a few berries on top? All the ingredients combined to make those 2-3 pancakes cost less than 2k won FFS!

I know, right?! Like, why do restaurants charge for more than just the ingredient costs? It's completely nonsensical :rolleyes:

sarcasm
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:43:06 am by elsbethm »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 07:51:29 am »

I know, right?! Like, why do restaurants charge for more than just the ingredient costs? It's completely nonsensical :rolleyes:

sarcasm

Up to a certain point, yes.

Let's add labour and overheads to the cost of making those 2-3 pancakes...you're still at an extra 1-2k won, making the total 5k won (on the high side, not even taking wholesale prices of ingredients into account).

I can understand if the profit margin is an extra 20-30% after accounting for costs...but an extra 100-200%? Where's the value in that for the paying customer?

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 07:53:54 am »

sarcasm

Up to a certain point, yes.

Let's add labour and overheads to the cost of making those 2-3 pancakes...you're still at an extra 1-2k won, making the total 5k won.

I can understand if the profit margin is an extra 20-30% after accounting for costs...but an extra 100-200%? Where's the value in that for the paying customer?

1-2K for labour costs? :laugh: :laugh: For both kitchen and serving staff, plus any busers/dishwashers etc...sure.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 08:07:55 am »
Were talking per serving here...unless you expect the restaurant to only serve 2-3 pancake dishes per day.

Volume, volume...volume.