Read 546 times

I'm walking around and I'm seeing graffiti everywhere. I'm not talking some mural on an underpass or artsy graffiti on a public surface, I'm talking private property- stores and walls. Also, if you're 16 I get it. Over the age of 23?

What the heck is up with that? What kind of mental disorder or completely selfish outlook must you have on life to think that's okay? Why do people do this? Why do people condone this?

Do you think this is acceptable behavior? What's your justification for it? Should our punishments be more severe? Here I think the punishment is those caught should have their house trashed or something.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:09:21 am by Mr.DeMartino »

Re: Graffiti Vandalism- Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:57 am »
I'm walking around and I'm seeing graffiti everywhere. I'm not talking some mural on an underpass or artsy graffiti on a public surface, I'm talking private property- stores and walls. Also, if you're 16 I get it. Over the age of 23?

What the heck is up with that? What kind of mental disorder or completely selfish outlook must you have on life to think that's okay? Why do people do this? Why do people condone this?

Do you think this is acceptable behavior? What's your justification for it? Should our punishments be more severe? Here I think the punishment is those caught should have their house trashed or something.

Funny, I remember you questioning a while ago why the way a city looks  should be important to anyone. When we were talking about how ugly Seoul is. So it seems you do think the physical appearance of one's outside environment affects quality of life?

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:45:41 am »

Funny, I remember you questioning a while ago why the way a city looks  should be important to anyone. When we were talking about how ugly Seoul is. So it seems you do think the physical appearance of one's outside environment affects quality of life?

demartian, contradicting himself?? surely, not.  the end of the world is nigh.  only three of the horsemen arrived so far, they're still waiting on the other, apparently he's still in Neighbraska.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:47:10 am »
We're not talking the appearance, we're talking the violation of private property. If I want a drab grey apartment, it's my right.

It's the same concept- in both cases someone thinks they know better how a place SHOULD look and they think others should be changed to make them happy. Selfishness.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:47:44 am »
Where is this?
I've always found Korea to be pretty graffiti free.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:25 am »
Where is this?
I've always found Korea to be pretty graffiti free.

Ehh. Less so sure, but it still can happen. Even in smaller cities.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • The Legend

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:34 am »
There are two things in life I cannot get my head around, graffiti and smoking. Why would you want to deface property and natural things like mountain caves? Why would you suck smoke into your lungs? Beats the hell out of me.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:03:02 am »
We're not talking the appearance, we're talking the violation of private property. If I want a drab grey apartment, it's my right.

It's the same concept- in both cases someone thinks they know better how a place SHOULD look and they think others should be changed to make them happy. Selfishness.

Right, so you're objecting to graffiti but not because it looks bad but because of the principle. That's like a deaf person complaining about people playing their music too loud.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 10:33:20 am »
Demartin, contradicting himself?? surely, not.  the end of the world is nigh.  Only three of the horsemen arrived so far, they're still waiting on the other, apparently he's still in Neighbraska.
:laugh:    So rude! Look at all the others: they came all the way from Haystings, Stallingrad, and Whinnypeg, and yet they still made it on time! Somebody's not getting a lump of sugar!! >:(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:35:19 am by kyndo »

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 10:36:27 am »
Demartin, contradicting himself?? surely, not.  the end of the world is nigh.  Only three of the horsemen arrived so far, they're still waiting on the other, apparently he's still in Neighbraska.

So rude! Look at all the others: they came all the way from Haystings, Stallingrad, and Whinnypeg, and yet they still made it on time! Somebody's not getting a lump of sugar!!

i wouldn't wish hay fever on anyone, but you're coming across as a little hoarse...

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 10:49:36 am »
Yeah, it's pretty rare in Korea. Do you really think it's increasing or are you just noticing it more? There's quite a bit around my neighbourhood, but the area is "famous" for it, and the majority of it does kinda contribute to the local character, though there is a fairly large supply of illegible tags and random profanity, too.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 10:58:10 am »
:laugh:    So rude! Look at all the others: they came all the way from Haystings, Stallingrad, and Whinnypeg, and yet they still made it on time! Somebody's not getting a lump of sugar!! >:(

You sure it wasn't Fillydelphia or Canterbury?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 11:06:44 am »

So rude! Look at all the others: they came all the way from Haystings, Stallingrad, and Whinnypeg, and yet they still made it on time! Somebody's not getting a lump of sugar!!

i wouldn't wish hay fever on anyone, but you're coming across as a little hoarse...

Yeah, it can be a complete nightmare! And yet, they still expect you to trot out and teach like normal. Considering how little that accomplishes, it's total foally on their part! You'd think they would understand that it would behoof them to get somebody else to fillyn for sick teachers!

You sure it wasn't Fillydelphia or Canterbury?
Ah, the 5th and 6th horsemen of the apocalypse who quit the crew before they became famous. I'm surprised mention of them cropped up: most people haven't herd of them!  :wink:

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:59 am »
Yeah, it's pretty rare in Korea. Do you really think it's increasing or are you just noticing it more? There's quite a bit around my neighbourhood, but the area is "famous" for it, and the majority of it does kinda contribute to the local character, though there is a fairly large supply of illegible tags and random profanity, too.
I'm not sure. It might be confirmation bias. I was "triggered" if you will by walking to work this morning and seeing some paint crew going over a small villa's wall with a new coat because the old wall was covered in rather new graffiti.

Re: Graffiti Vandalism- Why? (Also, your best horse-related puns)
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 09:13:58 am »
Also, Banksy is a bit of a knob.

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 10:07:31 am »
Also, Banksy is a bit of a knob.

Maybe but that picture which automatically slid down into a shredder was pretty awesome.

• Irv83
  • Newgookin

• March 22, 2017, 02:33:49 am
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 07:57:20 pm »
A message with money behind it is called advertising while a public one is mere graffiti. The assault of advertisements in our everyday lives is mind numbing to a point we rarely consciously think about it. I would say I'd rather see a clever or cool tag any day over an ad for Burger King.

I donít believe I would want to live in a world where every inch of space cries out for my attention, regardless of whether they were ads or private thoughts. But I also encourage everyone to be open to reading graffiti and to think of it as something that, like poetry, puts a finger on the real and honest pulse of the world.

That being said there are certain rules to its placement, such as tagging on a shops shutters seems to be inappropriate. 

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 12:48:33 am »
Advertisements have something that graffiti doesn't: consent.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 04:24:07 am »
Advertisements have something that graffiti doesn't: consent.
Exactly.

If I want art on my building, Iíll commission it.

If a group asks me to donate my wall space for an art project, Iíll consider it.

If someone puts graffiti on my building, Iíll report the vandalism to police, paint over it, and install surveillance.

Graffiti over commissioned art proves that they are not artists; they are just punks.