Read 271 times

Getting braces in Seoul..
« on: March 10, 2019, 01:57:09 am »
Hi...just a quick question for anyone that knows..im thinking about getting braces in korea but does anyone know if the dental office will ask you for some bank proof that your able to pay for your fees? Or do you just pay with your card or cash without them asking for any proof?...sorry weird question...

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
Re: Getting braces in Seoul..
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 05:28:19 pm »
I've never been asked. Always paid afterwards, even when I had eye-surgery. I do remember it was really high-tech. Like even now in 2019 my European dentist asked me to hold a handmirror to explain what he was going to do.  :smiley:

Weirdly so, they had a barrista serving coffee while you were waiting...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:32:23 pm by SanderB »
green everything

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 06:17:20 pm »
Hi...just a quick question for anyone that knows..im thinking about getting braces in korea but does anyone know if the dental office will ask you for some bank proof that your able to pay for your fees? Or do you just pay with your card or cash without them asking for any proof?...sorry weird question...

For my wife, no, but we did pay a big chunk up front.

There's a stereotype that we're poor AF. I went to the dermatologist a few weeks ago for an IPL treatment. The first thing the dermatologist did was tell me how much it costs (500k) and that it was probably too expensive for me. Him and the staff were extremely surprised when a paid in full. This has happened on multiple occasions.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 02:15:43 pm »
Just gonna hijack this thread since it's dental-related and I don't want to start a new one.

Has anyone been to the SNU International Dental Clinic in Seoul? I've got an appointment there for later in the week, but I'm worried that the costs are already mounting. I've only had check-ups and cleaning in Korea, and I don't think it ever cost me more than about 15k. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a filling this time, and so far I've been quoted 50K for the check-up and and panoramic x-ray, plus an extra 25k for cleaning. I understand that the panoramic x-ray is a superior technology and I don't really mind paying extra for it, but I am worried about what any other add-ons, like fillings, are going to come to.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:45:14 am »
Just wanted to give an update in case anyone ever needs any info on the SNU Dental Hospital.

Everything was super efficient, from the moment I set up the appointment in English to the time I left. Everyone spoke excellent English, the facilities were the cleanest and modern of any hospital I've been to in Korea, and the dentist was really helpful and seemed very reasonable. She didn't try to push me into getting any unnecessary work.

The drawback was that there's some kind of different insurance scheme for university hospitals, and fillings cost 250,000k. They explained the situation, though, and advised me to get the fillings done privately if I wanted to save money. I then got the most thorough dental cleaning I've ever had, which was totally covered by the national insurance (1 per year - I was wrong about this in my previous post). So I paid about 60k in total for a good cleaning, panoramic x-ray, check-up and a CD-ROM with my x-ray images.

That's probably quite expensive if you're satisfied with your dentist and just need a clean and check-up. If you have some serious concerns, though, I'd recommend going there.

https://www.snudh.org/global/contents.do?menuNo=29060126&lang=en