Read 691 times

Recruiters:Is There A Pulse?
« on: March 07, 2019, 04:32:43 pm »
  I have applied for lots of jobs in Korea and mostly gotten this: :blank: So I ask myself questions. Is Korea dead? Is there a pulse? Is there somebody in the room? I admit that a lot of the jobs I see are on Dave's ESL café. This is where you get recruiters that just post lists of jobs, and a title like this: "Wheeee! Come QUICLY! Jobs In Seoul*** Busan! Daejeon! Deokdo! All Over Korea!" 

I have been so frustrated recently because recruiters and hagwons show interest, but then I get an answer like "our start date was changed to June 4th," or "call when U R in Korea. We need an F-visa." Some people don't even seem to realise that I NEED AN E-2 VISA TO WORK THERE! I got word from 2 friends about jobs. One interview was straightorward, but the other interviewer was all over the place, having decided not to interview but changing her mind at the last minute. I had the interview. When I mentioned that I'd need to get a visa the interviewer was less happy.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: Recruiters:Is There A Pulse?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 07:05:32 pm »
It's  cheaper and easier to hire someone on an F visa. There is less
and they don't  have to pay the airline ticket. For most afterschool
an F visa is required  by law. There are other things that might be
you back. Your age hogwans don't  like to
people particularly men over 40. You might want to give China a try.
The salaries are rising and almost at par with Korea.  Plus the
of living is low

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 01:35:34 am »
So I ask myself questions. Is Korea dead? Is there a pulse? Is there somebody in the room? I admit that a lot of the jobs I see are on Dave's ESL café.

Are you over 35 by any chance? Male? Then yeah you will struggle.

We need an F-visa." Some people don't even seem to realise that I NEED AN E-2 VISA TO WORK THERE! I got word from 2 friends about jobs. One interview was straightorward, but the other interviewer was all over the place, having decided not to interview but changing her mind at the last minute. I had the interview. When I mentioned that I'd need to get a visa the interviewer was less happy.

Thats what the D10 visa is for.

It's  cheaper and easier to hire someone on an F visa.

No. A D10 beats an F-visa because once they transition back to an E2 the employer owns them.  F-visas are a liability, they can walk off the job anytime they want and find a new one without any immigration hassle.

Likewise a D10 does not require a flight or new documents.

Catch my drift?

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 07:29:47 am »
Im an F4 and I never walked off. :undecided:
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 08:05:21 am »
You have to realise most of those jobs in the massive job-list postings don't exist anymore, or never existed in the first place.

It's just a nice bait and switch tactic to get you in.

"Oh, I'm sorry, this wonderful gig offering 2.5mil in Seoul for a 2pm-9pm schedule has already been filled (5yrs ago in fact), but here's a 2.1mil 10am-8pm gig in the middle of gangwon-do...short hours, great pay and you even get 10 days vacation per year (weekends included)".

• voittaa
  • Explorer

• March 08, 2019, 09:11:05 am
    • Japan
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:43:54 am »
"Oh, I'm sorry, this wonderful gig offering 2.5mil in Seoul for a 2pm-9pm schedule has already been filled (5yrs ago in fact), but here's a 2.1mil 10am-8pm gig in the middle of gangwon-do...short hours, great pay and you even get 10 days vacation per year (weekends included)".

It's been a hot minute since I was searching for my first ESL job. This gave me PTSD  :laugh:

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 02:08:07 pm »
You have to realise most of those jobs in the massive job-list postings don't exist anymore, or never existed in the first place.

It's just a nice bait and switch tactic to get you in.

That has been my recent experience.  Worked with a recruiter, but I found the school I wanted to work at by myself.  The recruiter really seemed to only slow the process down, and my school schedule changed twice a week before I started and when I said this seemed inconvient and last minute, she told me that I was wrong and I would have to accept it.