Read 1762 times

Re: Security deposit
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 11:23:45 am »
Show them the clause in your contract.
If the contract has changed, I'm sure immigration would be willing to give you a copy.
You could also contact your Office of Education Coordinator.
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 07:27:59 pm »
It's these pretending to be confused when someone has made an obvious typo that irks me.  It was pretty clear the security deposit was 600,000.  You weren't really confused.

Kyndo: Wait. Now I'm confused...
 or 200,00 for 3 months for a total of 600,000 won?
It can't be both!
 :sad:

Hold on a minute.  I'm lost.  How could 200,00 for 3 months ever equal 600,000 won? 

See?  Pretend confusion is annoying.
I *was* making fun of his typo, true, but just take a look at his avatar: thunderlips is tough. He can take a bit of gentle ribbing.
And I was honestly curious if it was 3x300 or 3x200. My POE hasn't made us pay deposits as of yet, and I feel it's only a matter of time until we're slapped with one as well.

Edit: Oh wait, he got rid of his avatar.  :sad:  Bummer: it was cool.

Iím offended.

Yeah maybe I should bring back the ultimate male.

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 07:47:59 am »
I've lived in both Gyeongsangbuk-do and Ulsan and never had to pay a security deposit. It's not in any of the contracts that I've had here. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 09:59:58 am »
I've lived in both Gyeongsangbuk-do and Ulsan and never had to pay a security deposit. It's not in any of the contracts that I've had here. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

really?  there is some new Korean law that states that northerners should give 300 000 won a month for three months to other northerners for safe keeping.  i'll give it back, honest.  barm?   :laugh:

• DeiseBoy
  • Waygookin

• March 24, 2014, 07:23:06 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 02:17:16 pm »
So I asked my co-teachers to check with admin about a security deposit and surprise surprise they found I'd already paid 250,000 in my first 2 months (thought it was more like the amount in the starting post but it was 5 years ago).

They've still decided that 500,000 is too low and want me to leave an extra 200,000. We've discussed how I'll be bringing in all my final bills with receipts for them to copy so I'm not sure what else they expect to need 700,000 won for after I leave.

It has also gone from "You have to do it because it's a new rule" to "This is my personal preference and request for you to leave some extra deposit money". Which I suspect it always was from the start.

I said I would just to keep them happy while I finish out the contract but I told them they need to ask admin to keep the extra 200,000 from my last month's wages as there's no way I'm leaving it in cash. Then they can keep it all together with the rest of the deposit.

I'm still annoyed about them holding it until after the first semester is over. Surely a month of 2 is enough to check if there are any bills or damages to use it for. I'm guessing this is another personal preference disguised as a "rule".

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 02:57:58 pm »

really?  there is some new Korean law that states that northerners should give 300 000 won a month for three months to other northerners for safe keeping.  i'll give it back, honest.  barm?   :laugh:

Haha ok sound! That's reasonable, I'll send a cheque in the post...  :wink:

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 12:38:42 pm »
DeiseyBoy, I am also in Incheon and I also came five years ago. It should have been 250,000 won taken out over two months, so 500,000 total. So the 500,000 they are saying is right.

However, from what I have heard, you should get it back when you leave. I have had many friends leave Incheon and I believe they all got their deposits back. I don't understand why you would need to leave an additional 200,000. What bills are they thinking you will not pay?

One of my friend's that left couldn't close out her mobile contract until the month after she left. She have her co-teacher, for whom she trusted, access to her bank account so she could pay that for her after she left. But most people have their automatic withdrawal for their mobile phones.

I would tell them you don't see the need for them to take additional money from you. I know you don't want to leave cash with them, but technically they are not supposed to take anything out of your salary except for taxes, which is why you should have signed a document giving them permission to take out the deposit when you first arrived here 5 years ago (I also signed this document). So they probably won't take the 200,000 out of your salary. But again, I don't think they need to do it. You should be able to pay everything off yourself, especially if you don't close your bank account.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 12:44:19 pm »
So I asked my co-teachers to check with admin about a security deposit and surprise surprise they found I'd already paid 250,000 in my first 2 months (thought it was more like the amount in the starting post but it was 5 years ago).

They've still decided that 500,000 is too low and want me to leave an extra 200,000. We've discussed how I'll be bringing in all my final bills with receipts for them to copy so I'm not sure what else they expect to need 700,000 won for after I leave.

It has also gone from "You have to do it because it's a new rule" to "This is my personal preference and request for you to leave some extra deposit money". Which I suspect it always was from the start.

I said I would just to keep them happy while I finish out the contract but I told them they need to ask admin to keep the extra 200,000 from my last month's wages as there's no way I'm leaving it in cash. Then they can keep it all together with the rest of the deposit.

I'm still annoyed about them holding it until after the first semester is over. Surely a month of 2 is enough to check if there are any bills or damages to use it for. I'm guessing this is another personal preference disguised as a "rule".

Ask to see all your pay stubs from your entire time there. Make sure the withdraws are legit. Plus it'll be more work for them  :evil:

• lhelena
  • Waygookin

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 07:30:59 am »
DeiseBoy, So the fact that they want cash from you seems really shady to me. Anytime someone wants cash rather than a deposit/wire transfer it's because they don't want it traced back to them. Also from my understanding the deposit EPIK schools ask for when you move in should be given back to you unless you've damaged your apartment or broken any of the furnishings. The repair cost is taken from your deposit. For example, the teacher I replaced was charged 50,000 won for a broken desk chair that the school then replaced for me. If they're asking for more money when you're leaving it doesn't make sense unless there is something wrong with your apartment and they're charging you for it.

I know that sometimes they can be unhelpful, but have you tried asking an EPIK coordinator about this? Sometimes the schools are just being stubborn and getting someone from EPIK involved scares the hell out of them lol. Or just take out your most recent contract and start waving it around menacingly.

• DeiseBoy
  • Waygookin

• March 24, 2014, 07:23:06 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 03:06:35 pm »
The two co-teachers involved have admitted that it's just their personal preference to have more than the original 500,000 won deposit in case they get stuck with some kind of huge bill (which there definitely shouldn't be).

I might have been more willing to leave something extra to give them peace of mind had they not originally tried to say that leaving money behind was a new rule from the Office of Education and that I had to do it (obviously they talked together without me and decided to use this tactic to get me to pay extra instead of being honest).

I thought that this was on top of the security deposit I already paid when I first arrived as they said it was a "new rule" but it turns out they didn't even know about the security deposit's existence. Had they talked about it with me, instead of just each other, I could have told them sooner about the existence of the deposit and saved a lot of confusion and arguing.

As it stands, I told them if they still want 200,000 extra (they originally wanted 700,000 until they found out about the security deposit) they'll have to ask the administration about it as I've already fulfilled my commitments by paying the 500,000 security deposit. There's no way I'm leaving it as cash.

I'm still not sure why they were claiming that the school wouldn't be able to pay back the 700,000 won they wanted until after the first semester. But if everything is in the administration's hands after I leave, and not the co-teachers, then I should get all my various payments back on a normal schedule. Usually after a month or so right?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 03:17:07 pm »
Good that you're not leaving them anything.  They have no right whatsoever to arbitrarily demand cash. 

I know it says within the first month but with the three public schools I have left I've received everything by my final day.  At my last public school they paid me everything on the 25th of February.  The only time I received airfare reimbursement it was also before I finished the year, but that was before all this boarding pass crap.  But, I've never had to wait for the security deposit, even when I used the school's housing.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 03:54:14 pm »
      I probably don't need to tell you this, but I will anyway: whatever you end up doing, make sure that you get their requests down in writing (both Korean and English) as well as receipts for whatever you end up transferring (if anything)!

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 10:24:45 am »
DeiseBoy, if you are ok leaving them 200,000, then by all means do it, but you don't have to. I would tell them you are not leaving 200,000 period.

It sounds like this is a case of your coteachers not knowing how to handle the native teacher leaving because our contracts are different. This is understandable, but it isn't an excuse for them to request extra money from you just because they think it is a good idea.

I would have them call Sarah directly and she can tell them herself what the process is when the native teacher leaves. There have been a few times where there was some confusion over some things with my contract. When I tried to explain what the contract says, they still didn't get it. So then I would say I would call Sarah about it, but usually they would call Sarah before I got a chance to. After speaking with her, they would understand ... and sometimes I was wrong about my contract too, but other times I wasn't. Sarah can be hard to get a hold of sometimes, she is very busy, but when my coteachers have called her directly she was always available for them.

Tell them you are not leaving any extra money and tell them to call Sarah to explain how the deposit works, when you should get it back, and any other questions they have about you leaving. I really think that would help you a lot.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2019, 01:34:40 pm »
I have my own housing and still had money deducted. I asked them to return it at the end of the year given that my housing is in my name, but they pointed to the clause in the contract which explains that it's a deposit to cover liability in general, not just for housing. I have savings and the contract supports their argument, so I didn't bother arguing.

They don't know what they're talking about.  Idiots that don't know how to read or interpret?  You get your own place, you pay your own deposit directly.  That is to cover damages.  They have no business taking a withdrawl themselves.  Never happened to me. 

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 06:29:38 pm »
ffs

DieseBoy, absolutely refuse to leave any money with your coteachers, no matter what. They're not just being dishonest about how they went about trying to demand it from you, they're being dishonest about the entire business in general.

Coteachers are not responsible for the financial side of things regarding you. Like, at all. They don't have the authority or the access. It's the administrator's job and responsibility to collect any money from you, and it has to be done by the book, with paperwork and everything. And any damages or bills that need to be covered after you leave is between you and your sponsor. The coteachers have nothing to do with any of it. They might get used to relay information to you, but, outside of that, it's none of their business.

The fact that your coteachers tried to side-step all of that, and made a bunch of stuff up over something that they are not held responsible for in the first place, including their own rules about when you'll be getting the money back, is incredibly shady. And the fact that they wanted you to pay it in cash means that they're trying to cover their tracks.

Some people might say that they only meant well, but I'm sorry, it really just sounds like a case of attempted fraud to me. Either they're complete idiots (acting on xenophobic/racist biases and overstepping themselves into an area they have no business being in so that they can police you), or they're thieves. Either way, don't trust them with your money.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:18:35 am by Chinguetti »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2019, 10:18:56 am »
DeiseBoy, So the fact that they want cash from you seems really shady to me. Anytime someone wants cash rather than a deposit/wire transfer it's because they don't want it traced back to them. Also from my understanding the deposit EPIK schools ask for when you move in should be given back to you unless you've damaged your apartment or broken any of the furnishings. The repair cost is taken from your deposit. For example, the teacher I replaced was charged 50,000 won for a broken desk chair that the school then replaced for me. If they're asking for more money when you're leaving it doesn't make sense unless there is something wrong with your apartment and they're charging you for it.

I know that sometimes they can be unhelpful, but have you tried asking an EPIK coordinator about this? Sometimes the schools are just being stubborn and getting someone from EPIK involved scares the hell out of them lol. Or just take out your most recent contract and start waving it around menacingly.

The teacher I replaced, done so much damage, they had to use all 600,000won from his deposit, and use the 300,000 won they had for me, to get some appliances and stuff, on fixing the damage that guy done.
I've had to get: a bed, chair, desk, fridge, and a gas / electric cooker on my own dime, because of how bad the previous guy left things. A lot of them were still usable, but in a state where, they'd probably stop functioning at any moment.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2019, 10:28:03 am »
The teacher I replaced, done so much damage, they had to use all 600,000won from his deposit, and use the 300,000 won they had for me, to get some appliances and stuff, on fixing the damage that guy done.
I've had to get: a bed, chair, desk, fridge, and a gas / electric cooker on my own dime, because of how bad the previous guy left things. A lot of them were still usable, but in a state where, they'd probably stop functioning at any moment.
At that point, you'd probably have been better off just finding your own place. You'd need to furnish it as well, but at least you'd recoup part of that cost when you sell your crap on leaving.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2019, 10:41:36 am »
At that point, you'd probably have been better off just finding your own place. You'd need to furnish it as well, but at least you'd recoup part of that cost when you sell your crap on leaving.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, with no one close enough to sell my crap too :p I'm the only foreigner where I am.
I think shipping it would be too much of a hassle too, even getting the items delivered here was a hassle (a lot of shops on gmarket didn't like delivering the big items here).
I like my apartment though, and there wasn't a lot of places nearby to rent (super tiny village in the middle of nowhere).

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 11:10:14 am »
I'm in the middle of nowhere, with no one close enough to sell my crap too :p I'm the only foreigner where I am.
I think shipping it would be too much of a hassle too, even getting the items delivered here was a hassle (a lot of shops on gmarket didn't like delivering the big items here).
I like my apartment though, and there wasn't a lot of places nearby to rent (super tiny village in the middle of nowhere).
I keep forgetting how lucky I am: I live in a small town as well, but with a sizable commercial district and a disproportionately large waygookin population thanks to the nearby universities. Best of both worlds!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:50 pm »
I keep forgetting how lucky I am: I live in a small town as well, but with a sizable commercial district and a disproportionately large waygookin population thanks to the nearby universities. Best of both worlds!

Also, the school done the repairs after the teacher left and before I arrived, so it was all used before I had even been told. :p
But lucky haha. In my first year, I lived in a decent sized city. :p