Read 504 times

this is a long shot, especially from what I know of Korean visas.  in Germany, students take a year out during their university studies to gain work experience in another country.  a colleague of my brother has a son who really wants to work in Korea and try and gain some experience teaching German somewhere for six months or so and was wondering if I knew of any way to do this.  i know the E2 is out of the question, but was wondering if there are any programs like there would be in Europe where you can get a placement for work experience even though you haven't finished university yet? 

this will probably come up with nothing as I don't think Korea has developed quite that far, but I'm sure there are some schools where German is taught.  would there be anywhere else in Asia it could be possible? 

thanking you kindly

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
No.

Your friend could apply for a government scholarship if he/she wants to study Korean. Alternatively, he/she  could stay enrolled at her German uni, then apply for exchange programs to study Korean and apply for the undergrad scholarship. Best to approach the Koreastudies dept. at his uni.

HUFS in 외대 was great, free apt., free end of term food parties, generally nice people. I met 30 Germans there on exchange for a year, but most are from jp/cn. They gave me a fully furnished 3 room apt. with another exchange student in hwarangdae nearby.

Yonsei does offer dorm space too but you have to vacate your room during summer when hundreds of 'hiphop' wannabes come over from the States, with some even calling me my niga. Weird because we were both Korean.
There are a few Americans in each class and everyone keeps to themselves, very different vibe from HUFS but through my professor I was able to enroll into a few Int. studies courses at their grad school as well. Friends managed to land jobs at a few companies but most left korea after not getting hired.
----
If your friend is white he/she could walk into random hagwons and easily get hired, or even end up on TV. I don't know how or why but jobs just seemed to magically appear whenever they needed them. All 30 germans were teaching pvt. A Swedish bloke named Bjorn became a reappearing white bad guy on dramas. Other Aussies got paid 200k to be white and sit in the audience. I was even scouted for a show on hasuk life around unis and ended up translating at MBC. The koreans we met then still talk about us and the fun times we had so if he/she can afford the living costs for 6 months then try to apply for the HUFS language program, maybe the housing is still free. Things may have changed, this was in 2005.

There are  rural universities that offer much more free stuff, provided he/she is white. (sry to be so blunt) In exchange you are paraded around at ceremonies and you are forced to join ballroom dancing classes. lol ;D Like my mates at hufs had to. Being a young student in Korea is quite recommendable.

If he/she wants to teach German, there is a dire need of German teachers in Holland but only if he/she has a BA.
There is the German school in Beijing, but that would be unpaid probably and I don't think many students would apply. The next long shot is to work at the embassy in Korea. A friend did that while going to yonsei.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:14:08 pm by SanderB »
green everything

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

2019 Korean Government Scholarship Program 500k a month.

http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr/en/sub/gks/allnew_exchange.do

- email : kgspniied@korea.kr
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:08:04 pm by SanderB »
green everything

cheers for that SanderB.  will check those out.  i suppose he can't do the straight teaching experience without studying, unless he comes here and tries to get hired some other way, which would be too risky for me to recommend that.  my brother told me that it's quite common for Germans to do it this way, but I suppose doing some EU program (like the Erasmus program) is far more developed, than coming here to purely try and gain work experience.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

Must he get work experience? Those 30 Germans I met used their year just to study Korean or do you mean he wants to become a TA at a uni and then teach as a prof later?

Yes, there are exchange programmes such as Erasmus, but he should (quickly) go to the International office at his university to get the application sorted. It is free for him to enroll at Korean universities and as they explained it to me, more Koreans come than Europeans go, so there is always a 'debt' of applicants on the Korean side so he could even apply to Seoul University but as I mentioned before, HUFS would be more practical because they do focus on languages there or Ewha university, loads of girls there.

But it is much better to both use the exchange programme and apply for a government grant that 500k a month. Basically, if you're white you get it. Actual teaching at unis is an improbability because those uni jobs are watched and coveted jealously by the surprising amount of Germans hanging around and not to forget the 100s of graduates they churn out yearly. I met 1 German prof there and he had been there hogging that position for 20 years already as the only foreigner at the German department. The rest of the staff were Koreans who had studied German. I cannot imagine them allowing an undergrad to teach anything there. German is taught as an obscure entity with its own grammatical structures and culture but not as an actual speaking skill to be used in real life. One of my good friends studied German at Koryo university and believe me, he can't speak nor understand a word of German. But he's fluent in English.

The Erasmus is an exchange of a few months, I would totally recommend him to spend the whole year in Korea. It is a booming economy, a really interesting introduction topic at interviews, Samsung is here to stay, the cultural impact of Hallyu should not be forgotten and worst case scenario he will get homesick after a few weeks but be surrounded by a lot of fun people to hang out with. If he wants I could contact HUFS (hankuk uni of foreign studies) and figure out whether they have another batch of Germans coming over so he could latch on to that group, but honestly, it's way more fun to hang out with the Japanese and Korean students than constantly hang out with foreigners, which I mistakenly did in my first year.

Last piece of advice, I was offered several countries to go to among which also Princeton and I must now say that it would have looked, simply looked much much better on my resume than this obscure Yonsei university name. So have him look into that as well, that international exchange programme should also include access to US universities or perhaps Oxbridge which might be far more recommendable than a Kor uni..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:59:13 pm by SanderB »
green everything

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
Japanese people are definitely "foreigners" in Korea...yikes stripes is that a mistake you ought not to make.

OP: I doubt it. There ARE foreign-language high schools that teach German, at least in the South, but I reckon they won't take someone who hasn't graduated.

thanks for that SanderB, don't think of me as rude, I mailed him a couple of days ago and just waiting to get some more info about future plans etc before posting again.

OP: I doubt it. There ARE foreign-language high schools that teach German, at least in the South, but I reckon they won't take someone who hasn't graduated.

that is what I was thinking.  in Europe, there are numerous projects for gap year students to get experience that count towards their degree, whereas Asia isn't quite that developed yet in that sense.  if it happens, brexit potentially fukcs this all up for Brits. dickheads.

There are tons of Europeans studying at Korean universities. Lots of French and German youths hanging around in the curry houses around Kyungpook (sic) University when I lived near there. I think you do get rather ridiculous amounts of Korean government scholarship money. This is probably the best way to just get into Korea.

Otherwise the kid could look into German companies operating in Korea, but they probably mostly employ Koreans and a handful of long-term German employees.

I know there's a lot of German companies and law firms with German clients in the US who do summer job programs for German university students. Not sure if they paid at all or if they just subsidized housing. I used to work with some of these at a US law firm and they all said that these programs were set up by their home university in Germany.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.