Read 535 times

• lola27
  • Newgookin

• April 02, 2018, 11:11:33 am
    • Gwangju, South Korea
Former boss won't pay my pension... what to do?
« on: March 04, 2019, 02:54:17 pm »
Hi Korea experts,

I am having some difficulties getting my pension payment, and was hoping to get some advice on what I should do.

My story is:
I left Korea last November, and filed to get my pension (about 900,000 won... nothing crazy, but enough money that I'd really like to get it.) I was told I would have to wait about 4 to 5 weeks before the money was deposited into my bank account. No problem. However, around that time, I received some emails from the pension office, informing me (in very badly translated English) that my boss could not pay due to "business problems", and that I'd receive it "eventually". When I asked "When?" they said they did not know.

I did leave my hagwon job before the end of my contract, but with plenty of notice to my employer (so not on bad terms). And in any case, I was under the impression that pension was paid by the Korean government, and not up to my former boss. So I'm a bit confused what is happening.
More importantly, what is the best course of action to take? Trying to contact my former boss directly, possibly contacting a lawyer?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thank you for any information!

Re: Former boss won't pay my pension... what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 07:32:47 am »
usually your boss collects your pension (4.5%) and then matches that with their 4.5% before submitting to the pension authority.  there are a few things here:

-did you get pay slips showing that it was being deducted each month?  900 000 won is too low for a full year of 9% pension payments
-were you playing NHIS health insurance too, as the two are linked so if he is paying one then he has to pay the other. does you contract also say you pay both?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 11:59:50 am »
When you went to the NPS office before did they tell the final amount was 900k?  How early did you leave the contract?  My guess, and it is a guess, would be that your boss didn't make the proper contributions and when NPS informed him he had  to cough up he's saying he doesn't have the cash at this time.  I tend not to give hakwans the benefit of the doubt in these situations and he's probably hoping he can just keep putting it off until you give up.  Is his hakwan still open?  If you left early it's hard to believe he can't come up with his 4.5% if the hakwan is still running.  Contact him directly.  A phone call would put him on the spot more.  If he still stalls you contact a lawyer if you think it's worth the trouble. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 01:27:49 pm »
The company is suppose to register you within the first 90 days of working.  When you work at a hakwon, call the pension office after this time to check your balance to make sure the boss pays.  As a developed country paying pension should be automatic and enforceable for everyone whther it is a temporary or permanent or contract job or whatever.  Korea needs to get it's shit together.