Read 1178 times

• evans
  • Explorer

• October 19, 2018, 01:50:40 pm
    • South Korea
Letter to the new foreign teacher
« on: March 04, 2019, 08:50:02 am »
I will be leaving my high school soon and so I have been thinking about what to leave for my replacement.

The teacher before me didn't leave any previous lessons/ USB or a note but I have often thought about how helpful it would have been to have some context when I first arrived.

Is it common to leave these kinds of hint and tools for new teachers? If you were a new teacher would you find it helpful or would it seem like overstepping?

cheers.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
Re: Letter to the new foreign teacher
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 08:55:51 am »
Do it. Some of my friends got a letter and it was really helpful to them. I, unfortunately, did not get one but it could have been helpful. Plus it's a nice gesture to know someone was in the same shoes as you at one point and they're passing on what they learned to help you with your experience. :angel:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:56:07 am »
One was left for me, and I was incredibly grateful for it. It clued me in on problems with equipment and how I could get it all to work for me -- no one else at the school would have been able to tell me about any of it, they were all pretty clueless and the previous teacher had to figure it all for herself with a lot of experimentation.

It wasn't needed in my case, but a previous teacher had also left me with some materials to help get me started on the first few lessons of the year. I found this incredibly thoughtful, and it all definitely would have been useful to a fresh teacher just starting out.

So, I've done the same. I even leave my contact info so that any new teachers can get in touch with me if they have questions... it's a good way to give them info on current office drama and politics, too. If it's something they can potentially get dragged into, I'll happily warn new teachers about it before leaving (but not in writing, lol).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:58:08 am by Chinguetti »

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:59:48 am »
One was left for me, and I was incredibly grateful for it. It clued me in on problems with equipment and how I could get it all to work for me -- no one else at the school would have been able to tell me about any of it, they were all pretty clueless and the previous teacher had to figure it all for herself with a lot of experimentation.

It wasn't needed in my case, but a previous teacher had also left me with some materials to help get me started on the first few lessons of the year. I found this incredibly thoughtful, and it all definitely would have been useful to a fresh teacher just starting out.

So, I've done the same. I even leave my contact info so that any new teachers can get in touch with me if they have questions... it's a good way to give them info on current office drama and politics, too. If it's something they can potentially get dragged into, I'll happily warn new teachers about it before leaving.

That's incredibly sweet and thoughtful. I am not sure if I am going to continue at my current school for another year but I will keep this in mind once I do leave. I struggled a lot with quite a few things and I would like to make it easier for the next person who does come along.
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:20:17 am »
My advice; I know you teach high schoolers but really I want to give this to any exiting teachers that teach younger children. 

Try not to cry in front of the kids.  Seriously it really scares the younger kids and makes them think that the new teacher is some evil step parent to take their mommy/daddy away.  Shed a few tears if you need too and give plenty  of hugs but don't be so OVER DRAMATIC like the new teacher is a officer here to take mommy/daddy to jail.  Do it professionally as so the new teacher won't feel unwelcome. 

If you do cry a lot tell them that their new teacher will be awesome and that you really want them to be good and nice to the new teacher.  Do pinky swears or whatever to let the kids know this new teacher is here for you!

Clean out your desk please!  Don't leave little pictures of you and your friends at norebang!  Take anything you decorated your desk of!  Don't make the new teacher have to wait for their co-worker to come and take down pictures of them and the former teacher from the desk!  Clean the damn desk!! (Speaking to hakwon people)

Give kids your email address or messenger app if you want to keep in touch or they want to keep in touch with you but try to encourage them to not constantly ask the new teacher about your where abouts.  If they are able to, tell them to email you if ever they miss you and want to talk.

Just really make the new teacher feel welcomed and don't sugar coat how the kids are!  At my current public school when I first came on board several years ago, the teacher I replaced had the nerve to say the 6th graders I'd be teaching were "innocent."  B.S.!  They were like the cast from Gossip Girl!  Full of angst and two girls were battling it out over one of the boys.  Seriously it was like watching a Soap Opera.  Innocent my foot!  Since then my 6th graders have been real innocent, still playing smart phone games, still like Legos, still love to watch Disney movies!  I miss my last 6th graders.  A few of them teared up to InsideOut.  Those were some memoreis :cry:

As far as materials go,  Yeah some teachers will leave you stuff to use, some (like me) will take EVERYTHING with them because maybe their going to use it at the next place they are going.  I might be moving to another country in a few years and if I need to teach ESL out there I'm going to need all the PPTs, worksheets, and flashcards that I made.  Sorry, if it seems like a shrewd move, but that's where you (maybe not you but anyone else) needs to put their own creative juices to the job. :wink:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:22:06 am by Piggydee »

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 09:36:53 am »
You'll Find Out. Good luck.

The End.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45:06 am »
Full of angst and two girls were battling it out over one of the boys.  Seriously it was like watching a Soap Oprah. 

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 09:46:40 am »
Duno bout you guys, but my program (JLP) puts incoming teachers in touch with those leaving via email. Immeasurably helpful.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 09:47:45 am »
Full of angst and two girls were battling it out over one of the boys.  Seriously it was like watching a Soap Oprah. 

lmao, did you draw that yourself?

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 09:49:14 am »
That's incredibly sweet and thoughtful. I am not sure if I am going to continue at my current school for another year but I will keep this in mind once I do leave. I struggled a lot with quite a few things and I would like to make it easier for the next person who does come along.
Yeah, I thought so, too. Saved me a ton of time my first year here.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 09:52:59 am »
In my old town, it was an unwritten rule, you had to write one for your replacement.
In my current place, the previous guy left me one, but it wasn't particularly helpful.

When I leave my current place, either at the end of Feb (2020) or August (2020), I plan to leave another letter too.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 09:56:53 am »

No way, I can't draw worth shitt.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 09:59:12 am »

No way, I can't draw worth shitt.

Aw, was gonna say that soap was on point. Except it should be blue instead of green.

• tbsa
  • Newgookin

• February 27, 2018, 07:10:03 am
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 10:06:43 am »
I will be leaving my high school soon and so I have been thinking about what to leave for my replacement.

The teacher before me didn't leave any previous lessons/ USB or a note but I have often thought about how helpful it would have been to have some context when I first arrived.

Is it common to leave these kinds of hint and tools for new teachers? If you were a new teacher would you find it helpful or would it seem like overstepping?

cheers.

Yes please! Honestly, if you could find them and contact them earlier, the better. I remember during orientation I was just so anxious because I had no clue where I'd be teaching whereas a lot of our other group members already knew where they were going to teach and where they were going to live.

The previous English teacher left me a three page letter, it was helpful, but I'd have to say that it could've been more helpful. The majority of the letter consisted of general information about the schools, but other than that, there was really nothing else. I moved into the same apartment that she lived in and had to figure out everything bascially on my own (My coteachers know little English and they weren't sure of how the apartment was like either.).

I found out there were a couple of things wrong with my apartment and she left a big foldable couch for me to throw out  :rolleyes:

So, yes it'll be super great to leave a letter, but personally I would include more information for the next teacher.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 10:20:39 am »

LOL I knew I was making a typo somewhere.  Opera. 

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 11:23:30 am »
Dear New Teacher:

You will probably find that the students will endlessly complain about how you are not as good of a teacher as me. I recommend burning an effigy of me in the soccer field to help them move on.

Signed, Old Teacher.

PS press the third button from the bottom on the hot water heater control panel to use the floor heater.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 11:29:10 am »
Dear New Teacher:

You will probably find that the students will endlessly complain about how you are not as good of a teacher as me. I recommend burning an effigy of me in the soccer field to help them move on.

Signed, Old Teacher.

PS press the third button from the bottom on the hot water heater control panel to use the floor heater.

I would add if you Mention Piggydee Teacher in the classroom ever, I will throw you shoes and smartphone in a tire ginder.  Consider yourself warned!!! LOL

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:19:15 pm by Piggydee »

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 12:13:56 pm »
Duno bout you guys, but my program (JLP) puts incoming teachers in touch with those leaving via email. Immeasurably helpful.

i had a crossover period with one teacher at an elementary school years ago.  she was very positive and happy to be at the school.  little did she know, my co-teacher was a hopeless dimwit and I knew she'd soon find out.  i talked about all the things at the school and mentioned that my co-teacher was kind of difficult to work with.  what more could I do?  i would love to have been more honest but we only had a couple of days and I didn't want to scare the crap out of her.  i told her to email me if there were any problems as I was still living in the same city.  lo and behold, a few weeks later, there were numerous emails from her saying what a hopeless idiot she was working with.  i encouraged her, and tried to give her some teaching ideas, but I'd been in the same situation.  it's really nice to pass on useful stuff to the next teacher, with a letter being a lovely idea, but there are some things you just can't pass on.

• chelsmelt
  • Newgookin

• September 02, 2018, 06:05:25 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 12:49:28 pm »

cheers.

I would definitely recommend leaving a note for your replacing teacher! I'm forever grateful that mine did. It was such a huge help and stress reliever. I was fortunate enough to have a kind teacher who got in touch with me via facebook a few weeks before I arrived and allowed me to message and even skype them to answer some of my questions. Once I arrived at my school, I found out they wrote me a 6 page letter with very helpful information regarding my school, apartment, bus system, and life in my city. I carried the letter with me everywhere for 2 weeks hahah - it was just that informative! The teacher was also kind enough to leave a file on my work computer of lessons, broadcasts, and camps they used for certain lessons. It was really helpful for my planning. They left me with their contact information and I still keep in contact from time to time!^^

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 12:58:49 pm »

cheers.

I went above and beyond.  Not only did I pick my replacement, I tracked them down on Facebook and sent a PM.  I was also the one who picked him up from EPIK orientation since my coteacher didn't like driving.  I will say that whatever you can do will be helpful.  Since I did all that I had to be careful because at some point you can tell the person is overwhelmed and just wants to be left alone to relax in their apartment.  So be ready to give them space.  Anyway, definitely leave them some friendly advice and any material.  I imagine it's something they'll be grateful for and start a pay it forward type of thing.