Read 559 times

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
Teaching expats, where to start?
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:16:24 pm »
Hi all,

I foolishly said yes to teaching Dutch to Korean expats. sigh... :cry: So I am to teach Korean expats Dutch for 4 hours on Saturdays. She said it was a kicho ban (beginner A1) and seemingly many Koreans have signed up seeing my credentials advertised. They're talking about creating 2 classes now, 50 people?.  :huh: Nothings in place though, no books no curriculum and I probably won't have access to a digiboard or the Internet. It's on Saturdays at a high school nearby.

Any ideas what to start with? I've never had an A1 class, they should eventually finish at A2-B1 CEFR level.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 07:28:23 pm by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

Re: Teaching expats, where to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 07:21:33 pm »
Hi all,

I foolishly said yes to teaching Dutch to Korean expats. sigh... :cry: So I am to teach Korean expats Dutch for 4 hours on Saturdays. She said it was a kicho ban (beginner A1) and seemingly many Koreans have signed up seeing my credentials advertised. They're talking about creating 2 classes now, 50 people?.  :huh: Nothings in place though, no books no curriculum and I probably won't have access to a digiboard or the Internet. It's on Saturdays at a high school nearby.

Any ideas what to start with? I've never had an A1 class, they should eventually finish at A2-B1 level.

Probably not that many experts on teaching Dutch to Elementary students on here.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 07:35:09 pm »
 ;D

It would not be very different from teaching beginner English. All of my classes in Korea were already proficient enough to follow an immersive language class. How would you start teaching from scratch? words or grammar? They're adults as well so Emergentist teaching wouldn't work here. Should be constructivism I think but where to start? I think I'm asking this to teachers with 유치원 experience.
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:45:47 pm »
Presumably they have some English skills so start teaching in English till they're good enough to switch to Dutch only.