Read 331 times

• j3ss88
  • Explorer

• September 18, 2011, 06:00:59 pm
    • Cheongju
I have a troubling question and couldn't find any answers!

I'm American and my husband is Korean. So our daughter has both US and Korean citizenship/passport.
We are planning to travel to the US in the spring. I know we have enter the US with her US passport but what about re-entering Korea? Does she have to use her US or Korean passport? I heard a while back that someone had a problem when re-entering Korea with his dual citizenship child. He didn't know that his child also needed a Korean passport so he was held at Immigrations for a bit. But I read this a while back so I can't remember the details. :(

If anyone can help, that would be GREAT!!
Thanks in advance!! :)

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: Young Child Has Both US and Korean Passport BUT Which One Does She Use?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:35:33 am »
We enter NZ/leave with his NZ passport and we enter Korea/leave with his Korean passport. Doing otherwise will cause issues or so I've heard.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:07:14 pm »
As Zola said, enter the US with her US passport, and Korea with her Korean passport.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:52:13 pm »
Bring both passports for the kid and bring your husband through the us citizen line with you upon arrival.

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 07:33:58 pm »
Our son also has dual citizenship and thus two passports, Korean and U.S. Depart and re-enter Korea with his Korean passport, enter and depart the U.S. with his U.S. passport.

No need to show the one you don't need at immigration or customs. Keep it tucked away. I do show both when checking in.

It's been years since we first went back and we've never had a problem on subsequent trips but there was a stamp we needed to get in his Korean passport recognizing that he was traveling like that for some reason. It's been over a decade since that trip so the details are a little fuzzy and it was the only time we had to do that.

It was taken care of quickly at the immigration office in the airport. If this is your time taking your child out of Korea, I would recommend giving yourself an extra hour to get through check in and immigration. Better to have the time and not need it than to need time and not have it.

Couldn't ask for a better airport to kill an hour if you don't need it. Have a safe trip.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers