Read 498 times

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Going from Public school( EPIK) to Afterschool program
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:10:57 am »
 I did not get renewed by my current EPIK school although I wanted to. I have alway avoided hogwans because they have a bad reputation. I had to take an afterschool program last minute because I couldn't get back into a public school job. So I have a few questions from anyone who has made the transition. How different is it? What are the pros cons of each type? Any other advise would be appreciated

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Going from Public school( EPIK) to Afterschool program
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:21:07 am »
i worked at an after school program these past 2.5 years. they're basically a complete shit show, only made worse now that the first and second graders can't attend, meaning the companies are far more stingy than before. the after school job i had last year was pretty much the worst teaching job i've ever had in my life.

i wasn't supplied with even the most basic of materials - pens, paper, my own textbooks (i had to spend the first few minutes of a class borrowing a student's book to see what we were studying that day...wtf). i had to file for unpaid wages, too. kids were also terrible (i think most parents see these programs as cheap babysitting)

the only good thing were the short hours. it meant i could teach business english in the morning/at lunch/in the evening

but, never again. ever.

edit: the first year and a half, the jobs were tolerable, but it seems the conditions (and pay) are getting worse and worse every year. you might end up with a nice school/company, but it's basically a roll of the dice. let us know, anyway!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:24:58 am by oglop »

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:27:02 am »
What is a minimum based salary should you gun for as an F6 visa applicant?
How much should be your total earning including privates

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:55:29 am »
it depends on how many classes you teach. a few years ago, you would teach 4-5 classes a week but make 3.1m+. these days (due to lack of 1st/2nd grade), you'd be teaching fewer classes a day (i taught 13 a week), but make 2.6-2.8m. so that's fair enough, but it's more of a shit show these days, as i said

the most annoying thing about after school programs is when the schedule changes to morning time during public school summer/winter vacation periods, as it really screws up your other jobs. so, i negotiated with my schools and was able to start at 10am during these times, instead of 9am

for privates, 50k+. so it depends how hard you want to work.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 12:33:01 pm »
Agree with Oglop. Worst jobs I've ever had. My company was so disorganized and the school did not respect us at all.

For some reason, after school students are also the worst behaved. I still have nightmares about a few of my students from my last one.

Luckily, my AS company saw the writing on the wall about AS programs and started their own mini hagwon and moved me there. That was much better, but I eventually moved back to public.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 01:02:15 pm »
Agree with Oglop. Worst jobs I've ever had. My company was so disorganized and the school did not respect us at all.

For some reason, after school students are also the worst behaved. I still have nightmares about a few of my students from my last one.

Luckily, my AS company saw the writing on the wall about AS programs and started their own mini hagwon and moved me there. That was much better, but I eventually moved back to public.
yes. glad you agree. luckily, for F visas, if you experience too much bullshit, you an just quit and find another job

teaching at after school programs made me hate teaching kids. luckily i found very nice job at a private elementary school with similar hours.. so i'm actually looking forward to teaching kids again for the first time in 2 years

• Bakeacake
  • Explorer

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 01:49:43 pm »
I was in the exact same situation 2 years ago. Knew i wouldnt be keeping my epik job and applied to eavery hagwaon in the town that I wanted to live. After interviewing seveal jobs, it was clear that some were well organized and had much better incentives. As youve already accepted the new job, I know youre kind of stuck, but it would be advantageous to shop your talent around til you found what you needed. Ive been at the same hagwon for 2 years now, starting my third. The hours are great, 3-7 3 days a week, 3-10 2 days a week.  I never have to wake up with an alarm clock again, and its made me infinitely more happy. I can use the days to go to the beach or chill at home with coffee and a nice movie. I definitely like the hagwon life better than EPIK. Find the right job for you, make sure it suits your needs and be selective in what you choose.

• Oupa Grey
  • Adventurer

• January 29, 2019, 10:56:47 am
    more
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 03:53:14 pm »
I once made this switch too. Like the others, the teaching itself was somewhat horrible and draining, but at least the hours were short. If you're paired up with an assistant who is supportive (even if they aren't in the class - just to figure out a discipline system), you're a little "hard" in class, but still make it somewhat fun...it can be alright. I had equally "bad" kids in normal public schools too.

I'd say what really put me off AS programs (and actually hagwons in general) is the daily grind. Same thing, day after day. In a public school you see different classes every day at different times, sometimes exams and events break things up, and you have your own office/desk space or classroom and colleagues that you get to know - and there are vacations spread about. With AS programs it's the same schedule every day, you're more isolated and the company treats you, the kids and the whole program as a bunch of cogs in a machine (again, like a hagwon). Bad class is a public school? It's ok, there's a break just around the corner to shake it off and refocus. Bad class in an AS program? Oh well, you'll be seeing them every day (or multiple times a week anyway).

Anyway, you've gotten a bunch of negative feedback here but you've already signed up for it and it could turn out just fine. The hours are indeed great (if its one of those 1-5 max types) and if you have some classroom management experience it will work out. Far better than being jobless or having long hagwon hours.

• Oupa Grey
  • Adventurer

• January 29, 2019, 10:56:47 am
    more
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 03:59:48 pm »
I was in the exact same situation 2 years ago. Knew i wouldnt be keeping my epik job and applied to eavery hagwaon in the town that I wanted to live. After interviewing seveal jobs, it was clear that some were well organized and had much better incentives. As youve already accepted the new job, I know youre kind of stuck, but it would be advantageous to shop your talent around til you found what you needed. Ive been at the same hagwon for 2 years now, starting my third. The hours are great, 3-7 3 days a week, 3-10 2 days a week.  I never have to wake up with an alarm clock again, and its made me infinitely more happy. I can use the days to go to the beach or chill at home with coffee and a nice movie. I definitely like the hagwon life better than EPIK. Find the right job for you, make sure it suits your needs and be selective in what you choose.

Sounds good! I came across (and had) a gem or two in the hagwon world when I was in Korea too - but never the type of place where I felt I could stay for years. Teaching kids just gets draining after a while no matter the hagwon. I once did a split that saw me at the office at 6:40am to teach adults and I would go back to that again rather than teach kids (hagwon or public school) for sure.