Read 1870 times

Re: Judging Others
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2019, 08:11:07 am »
I don't know about footballers and smoking, but here's a bit on NBAers
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-OSAmCbCpLkJ:grantland.com/the-triangle/history-cigarettes-smoking-nba-vlade-divac-bob-cousy/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=kr

And this
https://www.aol.com/article/2016/02/26/15-people-in-sports-who-have-smoked-cigarettes/21319279/#slide=3813247#fullscreen

I don't know why people are calling BS on this. Anyone who knows anything about pro athletes or smoking knows there are plenty of athletic types who smoke. I don't know about 3 packs a day heavy, but definitely regular smokers.

This is the problem with Americans not smoking as much these days- Their heads get filled with nonsense and they believe any BS anti-smoking groups spew out about smoking. You do realize those people can be just as full of shit as the tobacco companies, right? At least the tobacco companies have given up any pretext about their product being healthy. Now the anti-smoking groups spew nonsense like one whiff of second hand smoke will turn you into a walking ball of cancer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:16:11 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 09:07:44 am »
  ...weight alone is not enough to make that judgement. 

This is the kind of thing Dalrymple was going on about in his book. Our common sense tells us that a 500 pound person is unhealthy but our fear of being prejudiced disuades us from acting on it.

No. We've been conditioned to think that because they don't fit the ideal they MUST be unhealthy. This faux concern for health eases our conscience when we judge them without knowing a damn thing about their medical history.

Really? 500 pounds, 220 kg? A person who weighs that much couldn't climb a single flight of stairs without getting out of breath. That's not healthy. Is there an actual upper limit of weight in your opinion when you could safely say someone was unhealthy? 600 pounds? Also you don't think it's more to do with our biology that we recognise signs of illness or disease, rather than being conditioned by images of what's ideal?

I knew a guy who used to be really close to that weight, that could climb more stairs than myself without getting tired. I was around 80 - 90KG when he was around 200KG.
Nowadays, he weighs around the same weight as me (around 75KG), if not a little less, and is a volunteer firefighter, plays a bunch of different sports, etc.

My dad is around 120 - 130KG, he loves cycling. He does big cycle events around NZ throughout the year - some that are 100KM rides, which often include multiple big hills to cycle up, which I wouldn't be nearly fit enough to do; He always comes last, but he always completes it. He also works a job that demands heavy lifting for long periods of time.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2019, 01:11:01 pm »
I knew a guy who used to be really close to that weight, that could climb more stairs than myself without getting tired. I was around 80 - 90KG when he was around 200KG.
Nowadays, he weighs around the same weight as me (around 75KG), if not a little less, and is a volunteer firefighter, plays a bunch of different sports, etc.

My dad is around 120 - 130KG, he loves cycling. He does big cycle events around NZ throughout the year - some that are 100KM rides, which often include multiple big hills to cycle up, which I wouldn't be nearly fit enough to do; He always comes last, but he always completes it. He also works a job that demands heavy lifting for long periods of time.
    I think we can all agree that there are people who weigh 120kg and are in excellent shape, and there are people who weigh 120kg and are just plain fat. Usually the way in which they carry their weight is a pretty good indicator of which of those 2 groups they belong to.

Of course, there are also people like line-backers and sumo-wrestlers who weigh 200kg, look pretty flabby, but could rip a man's head off and drop-kick it into the stratosphere without too much effort. They're pretty rare though.

I know a few people here in Korea who lift weights religiously and are in fit as nothing else, but who are always met with a "You're fat!" at the doctor's clinic when doing their medical exam for visa renewal.  :laugh:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 01:25:55 pm »

I think we can all agree that there are people who weigh 120kg and are in excellent shape, and there are people who weigh 120kg and are just plain fat. Usually the way in which they carry their weight is a pretty good indicator of which of those 2 groups they belong to.

Of course, there are also people like line-backers and sumo-wrestlers who weigh 200kg, look pretty flabby, but could rip a man's head off and drop-kick it into the stratosphere without too much effort. They're pretty rare though.

I know a few people here in Korea who lift weights religiously and are in fit as nothing else, but who are always met with a "You're fat!" at the doctor's clinic when doing their medical exam for visa renewal.  :laugh:

My dad looks like the couch potato kind of fatty 130KG person though :p
People's first impression of him, is a guy who sits on his butt eating Mcondalds for every meal. lol

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2019, 09:25:29 am »

p.s. i've gotten into the habit of taking my shoes to the dry cleaners like every other month or so to get cleaned. where i'm from in the states, this wasn't an option at the dry cleaners in my area. over here it's like 3,000 a pair and it keeps my sht looking extra crispy... to the point where i'm dying to buy new shoes but i can't justify it because all of mine look brand new even tho they're 3 or 4 or 5 years old.

What kind of shoes are these that you are getting drycleaned? I have sneakers with that suede (i guess?) edging, eg Adidas Samba, and the edging is getting dirty, but the rest of the shoe is fine. Can this be cleaned with drycleaning?

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 09:44:29 am »

p.s. i've gotten into the habit of taking my shoes to the dry cleaners like every other month or so to get cleaned. where i'm from in the states, this wasn't an option at the dry cleaners in my area. over here it's like 3,000 a pair and it keeps my sht looking extra crispy... to the point where i'm dying to buy new shoes but i can't justify it because all of mine look brand new even tho they're 3 or 4 or 5 years old.

What kind of shoes are these that you are getting drycleaned? I have sneakers with that suede (i guess?) edging, eg Adidas Samba, and the edging is getting dirty, but the rest of the shoe is fine. Can this be cleaned with drycleaning?

should be fine. i've got sneakers exactly like you're talking about and have got them cleaned 10 or 15 times with no problems.
too many blueprints & not enough architects