Read 2745 times

Re: Is this the first generation that's dumber than the previous?
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2019, 10:27:02 am »
Whatever your opinion and inference of someone's character from this fleeting forum interaction, let's not use "autism" as a derogatory label on these forums (or anywhere else). Not only is it childish and something people simply shouldn't do, it's especially worrying that a teacher would do it. Settle down.

Agreed. That is extremely low and hypocritical of you Waygook.org user SanderB.

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2019, 10:33:52 am »
If university applications were more wholistic, then there would not be that acute pressure that drives students to the brink.

What makes you say that? There would still be the same number of SKY university places available and the same competition to get in.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2019, 10:54:04 am »
If university applications were more wholistic, then there would not be that acute pressure that drives students to the brink.

What makes you say that? There would still be the same number of SKY university places available and the same competition to get in.

There would still be pressure, but it would not be as acute, so it would be more manageable.
If you know that since you flunked your first grade 12 Physics mid-term you are probably not going to get into a top (if any) Engineering school, the pressure to attain an impossible goal is removed.

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2019, 11:05:03 am »
I'm sure I saw an interview or read an article suggesting that at least one SKY was starting to follow the American model and take into account factors other than test scores and school grades, but I haven't really seen any follow-up about it. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have very little exposure to, or knowledge of, this aspect of Korean life.

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2019, 11:32:47 pm »
  Well, I'll probably come in for some kind of castigation here, but, judging from some of the posts/responses from a few people on this site, I would posit that the answer to the OP's questions is YES!