Read 2824 times

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Online PGCE
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 02:45:08 pm »
Physics teachers are an endangered species in state schools these days in the UK...you'd have your pick of schools to choose from if you apply with your PGCE and QTS. The big question is are you willing to put up with all the bull from students, Ofsted and other middle management people who are only making your life hell because that's their job description?

You'll get into almost any PGCE course out there. I was accepted into every uni I applied to (6), and two that I didn't complete my application with gave me unconditional offers anyway. There is such a dire shortage of teachers and trainees in the UK these days, and the problem will only worsen if the government doesn't increase funding and reduce the workload and bureaucratic oversight.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »
The big question is are you willing to put up with all the bull from students, Ofsted and other middle management people who are only making your life hell because that's their job description?

Yeah, I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for the huge increase in workload / paperwork, but perhaps a kick up the backside would be a good thing as I've been coasting for far too long here. Looking forward to having (some, hopefully not too much  :laugh:) more responsibility.

As for behaviour issues/ student bullsh*t, I kind of don't know what to think. I've been binge watching 'Educating Yorkshire' (and the Manchester / London / Essex / Cardiff series too  :laugh:) and the bad behaviour they're showing doesn't seem too far removed from what I've experienced in Korea. And at least as a teacher in the UK I'd be supported by the school, have clear behaviour management policies explained to me and maybe most importantly be able to communicate effectively with the students. Here in Korea I've had to learn how to get rowdy students on my side with broken Korean and essentially zero power other than what I can fake with a stern look and a loud voice  :undecided: I might be setting myself up for a pretty rude awakening but part of me is hopeful that classroom management might be one of the easier things about teaching back home '^^
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2019, 04:35:50 am »
Exactly, you'll do fine, even at those innercity 'black' schools, it all comes down to listening to your kids and appreciating them with mutual respect and kindness, and once you start teaching at a Grammar school you might even miss those 'rowdy' classes. I know I do.  :angel: Those shows are made-for-TV after all.

If you come down all tough on them and punish whole classes Korean-style, they'll turn on you quicker than you can say shibal!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 04:45:58 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis