Read 4789 times

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Online PGCE
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 02:45:08 pm »
Physics teachers are an endangered species in state schools these days in the UK...you'd have your pick of schools to choose from if you apply with your PGCE and QTS. The big question is are you willing to put up with all the bull from students, Ofsted and other middle management people who are only making your life hell because that's their job description?

You'll get into almost any PGCE course out there. I was accepted into every uni I applied to (6), and two that I didn't complete my application with gave me unconditional offers anyway. There is such a dire shortage of teachers and trainees in the UK these days, and the problem will only worsen if the government doesn't increase funding and reduce the workload and bureaucratic oversight.

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »
The big question is are you willing to put up with all the bull from students, Ofsted and other middle management people who are only making your life hell because that's their job description?

Yeah, I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for the huge increase in workload / paperwork, but perhaps a kick up the backside would be a good thing as I've been coasting for far too long here. Looking forward to having (some, hopefully not too much  :laugh:) more responsibility.

As for behaviour issues/ student bullsh*t, I kind of don't know what to think. I've been binge watching 'Educating Yorkshire' (and the Manchester / London / Essex / Cardiff series too  :laugh:) and the bad behaviour they're showing doesn't seem too far removed from what I've experienced in Korea. And at least as a teacher in the UK I'd be supported by the school, have clear behaviour management policies explained to me and maybe most importantly be able to communicate effectively with the students. Here in Korea I've had to learn how to get rowdy students on my side with broken Korean and essentially zero power other than what I can fake with a stern look and a loud voice  :undecided: I might be setting myself up for a pretty rude awakening but part of me is hopeful that classroom management might be one of the easier things about teaching back home '^^
I never finish anyth

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2019, 04:35:50 am »
Exactly, you'll do fine, even at those innercity 'black' schools, it all comes down to listening to your kids and appreciating them with mutual respect and kindness, and once you start teaching at a Grammar school you might even miss those 'rowdy' classes. I know I do.  :angel: Those shows are made-for-TV after all.

If you come down all tough on them and punish whole classes Korean-style, they'll turn on you quicker than you can say shibal!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 04:45:58 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• RubyW
  • Newgookin

• May 24, 2020, 06:06:12 pm
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2020, 06:11:16 pm »
Thought I'd provide another update.

Introduction module and the first module done (professional values and practice), we've just submitted our first reflective reports.

Lots learned so far (teaching theories, learning behaviours and theories, attributes of a 'professional' teacher, classroom and behaviour management, forms of assessment and feedback), and plenty more to go. The study groups have particularly been helpful as students have contributed extra theories and materials that aren't covered in the online lectures, and there are a lot of experiences (IB, IGCSE, SAT/AP, National Curricula etc) to draw from.

The next module (developing subject competence) is about to start, and will run through to February, with another 4000 word reflective essay to complete.

Hi waygo0k, could you please provide another update about your course? I'm a Mandarin teacher working in a British International school and is considering taking this course this year. Thank you!

• RubyW
  • Newgookin

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2020, 06:22:26 pm »
Also, when I was about to create an account, I have noticed there's a Redeem Invitation option, sounds a bit suspicious for a university website?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2020, 08:05:41 am »
Hello RubyW,

Iíve just finished the course in the past few weeks. Itís a legitimate institution so no need to worry there.

The second module was an analysis essay based on theoretical and practical approaches in your chosen subject area...and how they compare with how you teach your subject in your classroom.

The research I did on it was easily the most informative piece of work Iíd done up till that point as I was able to not only gain insight on the latest EFL and ESL approaches, but also those in the science teaching field (which was my main focus).

The third and final module was supposed to be an action research study based on your chosen theme...youíd carry out a small scale study on something you wanted to improve in your classroom, implement it, collect the data, analyse it and do a quick presentation to other students online...but the apocalypse forced a few of us to change our plans to lit review presentations instead. Some students were still able to do their action research...and a lot of them were informative. Again, I learned a ton during the research for this assignment, my theme was handwriting and I was able to find scholarly data on the physical benefits handwriting training has on neurological and cognitive function, as well as the medium to long term effects poor handwriting skills (dysgraphia) could have on children academically and socioeconomically.

The school has been very understanding given the circumstances and offered the extensions to anyone who needed it, the original deadline for the final module submission was April 27th, but there are people who are still working on theirs till the new May 27th deadline.

Iím waiting for the scores for my final presentation...but all in all Iíd say this was easily the best 3 million won Iíve spent (except for my car lol). Iíve learned a lot of things I wouldnít have gotten to learn otherwise, and thereís an option to do an extra module for credits toward a MEd for £50 (thereís a catch though, it would last the duration of your NQT year)! So that would be 60 credits from the PGCE course itself plus 20 credits for the extra module.

If you have any other questions Iím more than happy to answer  ;D

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2020, 08:17:19 pm »
Results are in.

Officially PGCE certified!

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2020, 08:25:33 pm »
Results are in.

Congrats! That'll be me in a year, if all things go to plan  ;D
I never finish anyth

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2020, 08:32:07 pm »
Thank you and good luck!  ;D ;D

• RubyW
  • Newgookin

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2020, 10:39:16 am »
Results are in.

Congratulations! Thank you for the detailed feedback, really appreciate it! Hope this certificate can open more doors for you!

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2020, 08:36:54 am »
Congratulations! Thank you for the detailed feedback, really appreciate it! Hope this certificate can open more doors for you!

Thank you Rubyw and you're welcome!

Good luck with your application and the course!

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2020, 08:57:04 am »
High probability I'm heading to my home country next year, to do a PGCE (on campus).

I'd do it online but worried about credibility. Some countries outright reject candidates with online qualifications.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2020, 01:51:52 pm »
No way they'd be able to tell if this course was done online or not.

The certificate will simply state Post Graduate Certificate in Education.

• lloydloots
  • Explorer

• March 04, 2013, 10:06:28 am
    • Andong, South Korea
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2020, 09:36:29 am »

Do you think this PGCE would suffice to get a teaching job at an international school in Korea? I've seen online that most require the QTS status and 2 years international school experience.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2020, 10:02:14 am »

And what if they ask you if it was online or not during the interview process? You going to lie?
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

TDS - Hatred of President Trump so intense that it impairs rational thought processes.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2020, 08:00:30 pm »
And what if they ask you if it was online or not during the interview process? You going to lie?

I don't see any reason to lie. How many times in interviews have you been asked whether you did your degree online? For me maybe once in the last 10 years.

Do you think this PGCE would suffice to get a teaching job at an international school in Korea? I've seen online that most require the QTS status and 2 years international school experience.

I think it would suffice in some scenarios. The problem is there are very few proper international schools in Korea, so any vacancies will be very competitive. Most international schools require QTS plus two years post QTS as you said...but plenty don't. I know of people working at international schools in Korea without teaching credentials let alone QTS, some are on F visas, others meet the criteria for E-7 that international school teachers get.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2020, 09:52:18 am »
Doing a PGCE, online or 'in person' does not grant QTS.

You need to work at a recognized school for a year afterwards and they need to file your documents, proving that you passed the NQT year to gain QTS (qualified teacher status).

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2020, 10:02:58 am »
Furthermore, as another poster pointed out there are relativly few 'proper' international schools.

Getting a job in such a place is very competitive. This was before COVID too.

The international teacher circuit has been thrown inside out in the last few months. This is likely to get worse by the summer.

A place like Korea is a relative safe place at the mo, so teachers with 10+ years of international teaching experience are now applying for Korean schools, where they previously would not.

Lots of int schools are also cutting wages too at the moment. There is one very famous int school in Seoul that loves to do 'interships' for int teachers.

It has the same name as an an English former professional footballer 'who played as a midfielder. He now works as a coach in the Cambridge United academy, a position he took up in June 2016.

Born: November 18, 1980 (age 39 years).'

😉

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2020, 10:06:09 am »
Sorry 'internships'.

Search Associate's also has some useful info.

Best of luck everyone!

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2020, 02:13:45 pm »
The #reply number 76 is a very important point.

Please ask any online provider's, even if they are a 'real' university about this. ie filing documents allowing the NQT year to be completed.....