Read 1339 times

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Online PGCE
« on: February 23, 2019, 04:46:00 am »
For those who are looking to do their PGCE but canít afford the outrageous prices UK unis are charging, even for online courses (Sunderland and Nottingham uni for example charge £6-9k for their distance learning courses)...rejoice!

Leeds Beckett University are also offering a distance learning PGCE course, for the grand price of £1,985! It was £1,600 last year.

I just gained admission onto the course, and I believe they are still taking applications.

Good luck to those applying!

Re: Online PGCE
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:52:54 am »
Nice one waygo0k, thanks for the tip!  That is insanely cheap.

I'll definitely have a look into it and congrats on getting onto the course!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 09:21:33 am »
Looks like you have to already have QTS to get on the course.  That's quite confusing because I always thought you get the PGCE and then work for a year to get QTS.

Do you know how observations and mentoring works when you do online courses like this?

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:21:44 am »
Nice information.

Which is better for professional development in Korea though: distance learning PGCE, MA TESOL, Applied Linguistics, other?

I would love to take a year out and do an on-site course but financial commitments make it difficult to stop working.

Thoughts?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:03:20 pm »
Looks like you have to already have QTS to get on the course.  That's quite confusing because I always thought you get the PGCE and then work for a year to get QTS.

Do you know how observations and mentoring works when you do online courses like this?

You donít need to have QTS.

You just need to work at a school or institution that has a curriculum and a code of conduct that is compatible with what one would find in the UK (essentially a public school or an accredited private school).

The observations will be self reports and reports written by my co-teachers.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 12:36:20 pm »
Why wouldn't you just return to the UK and get it for free, zilch?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 12:57:19 pm »
Iím over the age limit...and I like my lifestyle here ok korea.

Doesnít hurt to make some decent money on the side while studying either.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 01:01:13 pm »
Nice information.

Which is better for professional development in Korea though: distance learning PGCE, MA TESOL, Applied Linguistics, other?

I would love to take a year out and do an on-site course but financial commitments make it difficult to stop working.

Thoughts?

It really depends on what you want to focus on.

Iím planning to move on to international schools and teach science, hence the PGCE. The good thing is it also counts towards a masters degree (60 credits I believe). So if one were to want to do a masters in TESOL, applied Linguistics or any education subject, your PGCE already covers part of the course.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 01:04:29 pm »
Nice one waygo0k, thanks for the tip!  That is insanely cheap.

I'll definitely have a look into it and congrats on getting onto the course!

Thanks!

Iíll try to give updates on how the course is as I do it.

Judging by UK trends, the tuition fee will likely rise again next year, so I strongly suggest people who are interested start applying for this intake.

They will ask you for proof of your GCSE results or equivalent though...so start searching for those certificates lol.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 07:28:48 pm »
I'm trying to get ahold of them but no joy so far. Also from my checking, their PGCE's seem to be physical education based with an English or Geography component. Am I messed up? Could use some help here.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 08:28:40 pm »
They have several PGCE courses.

I believe the one you are looking for is (General) Education - https://courses.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/PGCE_distancelearning/

Itís the weekend, so there wonít be anyone available to reply to your email if youíve sent one, but their admissions office does respond relatively quickly during the week.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 07:23:48 am »
Over the weekend I kept going back and reading all the info about the course and watching videos etc because that price has really piqued my interest.

Getting a PGCE after one year of distance learning for only £2K?  An unbelievable deal.  I think I paid £900 for my CELTA!

But I can't help thinking that it's too good to be true.  I'm sure that if I talked to my coworkers about it (assuming they would have to act as my mentors) they would look at me like I was an alien.  They would have no clue what to do. 

The whole QTS thing; isn't that an actual awarded certificate?  You get it after completing the PGCE and working in a UK school (or at least an International school that follows the UK curriculum) for at least one year. 

I'm working in a school where I have nothing to do with the curriculum, I just teach whatever I want.  I guess that means I'm not eligible to do this course.

Sorry for rambling, but I can't get my head around how someone working in a public school in Korea can possibly study for a year online and come out with a bona fide PGCE.  But waygo0k has been accepted onto the course so maybe I'm being too negative  :-[ 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 07:56:56 am »
Your co-teachers would definitely have no clue as to what to do, youíd have to to guide them as to what their assessments of your classes should look like, alongside completing the module requirements for the course. Essentially double work for you...But thereís a template as to what each assessment should look like and a list of criteria you and your mentor(s) would have to follow.

This is more of a research-based course, which is why they require you to be currently working at a school with teaching standards compatible with what one would find in the UK, which would cover the practical side of things.

This course does not lead to a recommendation for QTS like traditional PGCE courses, because the lecturers arenít able to physically assess your classes. With a PGCE and enough of the right kind of experience, one can gain QTS through AO (assessment only) route through most UK universities, which is what Iím planning to do after completing this course.

AO QTS only takes 12 weeks to do either at a UK school, or at an accredited international school that follows the UK curriculum as you said.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 08:06:11 am »
I should also add the importance of having co-teachers willing to support you through this course.

Iím fortunate enough to work at a school where everyone strictly adheres to the rules, for example teachers have one class observed and assessed by their peers every 2-3 weeks and then have to write a report for the local office of education...so essentially my co-teachers observing my classes would be routine for them. I guess thereís a bright side to all that mandatory desk warming after all.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 09:49:26 am »
Thanks for the replies waygo0k, they're a big help in getting in all clear in my mind.  That teaching standards document is really useful to see.

Yeah I think considering my current working environment there's no way I could do this course which is a shame really. 

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 09:53:24 am »
They have several PGCE courses.

I believe the one you are looking for is (General) Education - https://courses.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/PGCE_distancelearning/

Itís the weekend, so there wonít be anyone available to reply to your email if youíve sent one, but their admissions office does respond relatively quickly during the week.

Thank you. I've started the application process by filling out the required fields on the site. I'll have to wait and see what's happening as it isn't extremely clear. At least I think it isn't.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 10:01:19 am »
Thanks for the replies waygo0k, they're a big help in getting in all clear in my mind.  That teaching standards document is really useful to see.

Yeah I think considering my current working environment there's no way I could do this course which is a shame really.

Youíre welcome. I was also worried about that aspect as well when I first started applying, but I made sure to include references from current and past employers (who were gracious enough to help), alongside scans of all the training certificates Iíve obtained here in korea (basically the ones you get after each orientation, plus one or two TEFL ones I got on my own).

Iíd still suggest you try anyway and see what they say. You could get in touch with the specific department and see if you can get a workaround with them...thereís always a way if both parties are willing to try.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 10:07:15 am »

Thank you. I've started the application process by filling out the required fields on the site. I'll have to wait and see what's happening as it isn't extremely clear. At least I think it isn't.

Youíre welcome.

Theyíll get in touch with you soon and will definitely ask for proof of your experience and qualifications (particularly certificates of your GCSE Math and English results).

Start getting your references in order, the more referees you have, the better. Even though they only asked for two, I sent in 5. Current and past colleagues, letters from higher ups (principals, managers/owners) also help a lot.

The application actually isnít too different from the standard EPIK application. CV, references, qualifications, statement of teaching philosophy, and the different one is a statement of support form your school will have to sign and stamp.

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 08:25:13 am »
There's an age limit for it in the U.K? What? haha

If you do it in the U.K you can do it for free and get paid a salary....or get a pretty nice bursary.

It leads to a QTS status mostly too. It's not comparable at all.

If you are looking to teach in the U.K and you have to talk about how you did your PGCE...distance...in Korea... and have no U.K experience. It's gonna be tough to get a job.

However I guess if you really want to stay in Korea and do something productive for your teaching career, it's a great option.

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 08:37:34 am »
If you are looking to teach in the U.K and you have to talk about how you did your PGCE...distance...in Korea... and have no U.K experience. It's gonna be tough to get a job.

You can always become a supply teacher and make a killing substituting for all the teachers off work with stress.