Read 689 times

• Nikkie595
  • Newgookin

• October 19, 2017, 05:50:07 pm
    • South Korea
EPIK teacher question
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:38:54 pm »
If this is the wrong board to post on, please let me know.

I'm in the EPIK program, and I have a new co-teacher who said she assigns a lot of worksheets. She said she doesn't want to grade them, and so she said I will be in charge of grading all of them. I've never had this before. Is grading/correcting worksheets part of the job usually?

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
Re: EPIK teacher question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 04:31:02 am »
wow  ;D, if she assigns it then it is her work not yours, unless you teach, correct, plan, manage, set learning goals, eat, dance, sing, drink, sleep together as weird symbiotic twins. You are there to be the conversation teacher, not the grammar teacher, and printing out 1000x worksheets only makes students hate you. :azn:

I can't imagine my co-teacher asking me to grade her homework lol! Have you considered peer-checking instead? I do it 80% of the time. I only summatively grade end tests or nat. exams.

disclaimer: I do not work for epik.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:35:56 am by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 08:03:34 am »
If this is the wrong board to post on, please let me know.

I'm in the EPIK program, and I have a new co-teacher who said she assigns a lot of worksheets. She said she doesn't want to grade them, and so she said I will be in charge of grading all of them. I've never had this before. Is grading/correcting worksheets part of the job usually?

Nope I wouldn't be grading anyone else's work.

Tell her since they're her worksheets, she should grade them...or suggest that you go through them and grade them in class (as suggested above).

Usually my co teachers come to me if they have any questions about a particular answer etc so maybe just offer to help if there's any she's unsure of.

Once she starts grading them herself and it's a pain...the worksheets will likely start disappearing.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 08:11:57 am »
The other posters pretty much summed it up. Here's my experience and opinion as an EPIK teacher.

Pragmatically here the thing to do is to offer to share the marking IF the worksheets are in English and/or can be understood by you. However I'd consider pushing back because she may just be testing your boundaries. The vast majority of my KET colleagues have avoided giving worksheets out because of the extra work involved in marking and the ease with which students can cheat. If your colleague intends for you to mark worksheets she gives out in her own classes this is inappropriate. If she intends to use a lot of worksheets in your shared classes than she's not making good use of you as a resource.

The older your co-teacher is the more caution I'd use in pushing back, particularly if there's a big age-difference.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:49:51 pm »
Just print out a bunch of your own worksheets, give them to the kids, then tell your "co"-teacher that she has to grade them because you don't want to. Then go back to deskwarming on Youtube. Then wonder why EPIK jobs keep getting cut.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 01:28:32 pm »
how many students are we talking here?  hundreds?  ten?

why would she give out worksheets that she has no interest in marking, unless a previous foreign teacher did it and she expects you to do it.  which is wrong.

but basically, no it has nothing to do with you.  if she assigns you a job and you're setting the worksheets or evaluations then it's fine, it's your work.  occasionally helping another teacher with some of their more tricky work?  ok.  but to right off the bat say you'll be marking all her worksheets?  no. 

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:06:01 pm »
Sorry, I'm going to give a different answer here.  Public School teaching is a cakewalk.  Don't forget Korean teachers are assigned another task, not just teaching.  They might be in charge of a homeroom, calculating mileage for workers or a myriad of other responsibilities. 

You work your 8 hours with rarely anything lingering over your head from day to day.  If it were me, and I did this when I worked at public school, I would help with whatever they wanted me to because I was so damn bored.

Again, this is my experience.  If you honestly feel like you are putting in the same amount of work as everyone else, then I would politely say you are busy with lesson planning, but you'd be happy to help her when you have some free time (which could end up being never).  In my case, I never felt like I was working harder than the people around me, especially during test time.

• m.corless
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:39:19 pm »
Sorry, I'm going to give a different answer here.  Public School teaching is a cakewalk.  Don't forget Korean teachers are assigned another task, not just teaching.  They might be in charge of a homeroom, calculating mileage for workers or a myriad of other responsibilities. 

You work your 8 hours with rarely anything lingering over your head from day to day.  If it were me, and I did this when I worked at public school, I would help with whatever they wanted me to because I was so damn bored.

Again, this is my experience.  If you honestly feel like you are putting in the same amount of work as everyone else, then I would politely say you are busy with lesson planning, but you'd be happy to help her when you have some free time (which could end up being never).  In my case, I never felt like I was working harder than the people around me, especially during test time.

This is my thought as well.
Do you feel overly burdened by the thought of having to grade the worksheets? Is the co-teacher being generally unreasonable in this expectation? Your job as a public school NET is to be involved in the English language teaching and grading of your students in whatever capacity your school feels necessary. Sometimes that could mean planning and executing lessons, sometimes just parroting sentences for pronunciation, sometimes making quiz questions or speeches for a special event, sometimes grading. If you have a legitimate reason for not being able to complete the task, bring it up respectfully. Otherwise, grade the worksheets.