Read 327 times

  • Krada1212
  • Newgookin

    • 2

    • February 16, 2019, 12:36:06 am
    • Spain
Hello, I am new to this site and new to this world (as you will see). I got a job at a school in Seoul, submitted all of my documents, then asked my recruiter if there was anything else I needed to do and she said, ďjust show up in Korea.Ē I had plans to travel to Spain for a week before starting my new job, so I arrive in spain, then find out that a visa number has been issued, but I need to get my passport stamped in my home country and the process takes a week..

I thought my only option was to pay a million dollars on a flight back to the states and also a new flight from there to Korea, but a friend told me of an option to start teaching without a visa, then within 90 days either go home or to Guam for a week to get my stamp. Then hope that my school gives me the back pay of what is owed.

I asked if this was an option but havenít heard back yet. Does anybody have experience with this? It is common? Is it possible?

I have also heard of people going to japan for something similar. Is that the same thing? Doesnít the stamp need to be issued from your home country?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  -Kyle

  • L I
  • The Legend

    • 3191

    • October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
What kind of job is this? (Academy?)

  • SanderB
  • Super Waygook

    • 410

    • June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
All I know is that as exchange students, some of us had  to renew our tourist visas in Japan (ferry trip to a nearby Japanese island) after 2 months. Then later I have had colleagues go there to renew their E2s as well. From what you are saying, it sounds like you have to get your visa on US soil in Guam.

Maybe contacting your embassy might help? I remember my embassy was really supportive and helpful, but I have no idea what the US embassy is like in Korea.
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

  • Krada1212
  • Newgookin

    • 2

    • February 16, 2019, 12:36:06 am
    • Spain
Thank you, it is an academy job. It sounds like it might be a possibility to have this done in Spain without having to go home to the US, but I need to wait til the consulate here is open tomorrow on Monday. Is it a crazy idea to be without my passport for a week here in Spain while it gets processed?

if you have your visa issuance number, you should be able to walk into the korean consulate in spain and apply for it there.  sometimes teachers come to korea without the visa and then do a visa run to japan. 

it only takes a week when you mail it in.  if you bring it in person, they can have you done that same day unless you messed something up. 

call/visit the korean consulate where you are and see what they say.