Read 1255 times

What are the consequences for “resigning” from a contract?
« on: February 12, 2019, 12:17:27 am »
Goodness, where do I start?

I have been in South Korea for the past year and finished my initial one year contract. I teach at a public school. However, I ended up deciding to renew for another year due to bad advice and pressure ( I originally had my contract set for 6 months but because of administration error and other issues I decided to stay for the mistaken 1 year.)

After finding out certain problems arised while I was away from my home country last year that I can’t avoide any longer, I asked my designated POE/MOE about amending my contract and she said it was technically too late because it was already the day of my contract start date(which was January 31st) which means the only way to leave out of here would be resigning from the position.

I really don’t want to resign. I have a pretty good track record and I don’t want to ruin it by resigning and never being able to teach anywhere again.

What are the consequences for resigning? Any advice for this type of situation?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:11:20 pm by IrodaTravels »

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: What are the consequences for “resigning” from a contract?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 11:36:20 am »
Quitting  a public school job will only  influence your ability to secure other public school jobs. Hagwans After school programs and Universities will not be influenced.  However it is not something you would want to mention in a potential job interview or to a recruiter.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 05:03:59 pm »
You should be able to find another job even if you resign. As long as you completed the contract, you should be good to go.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:10:19 pm »
Thank you for the answers!  I really appreciate it

So basically, it might be a little difficult to secure a public school job again if I resign.
Would it be possible to work abroad with this type of situation?

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:36:03 am »
Public schools generally don't give E2s a letter of release if and when they resign so just remember you may not be able to seek new work in Korea until your current visa has expired.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 11:08:13 am »
If you are working for EPIK/GEPIK and you break your contract, they specifically told me it is LIFETIME BAN.  You can never work again for EPIK schools.   You can still work for private, hagwons, and city-funded schools though.

Even if you accept a contract, but change your mind before the start of the school year = LIFETIME BAN.  I was told that verbatim by EPIK.  Scary.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:15:15 pm »
Thank you guys for your advice. I really wish I was not in this situation, but I try to figure it out.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:12:29 am »
You still may be eligible for other schools, like JLP.

I resigned mid-contract for a family emergency, then I reapplied and was hired about two years later.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 10:12:21 pm »

I resigned mid-contract for a family emergency, then I reapplied and was hired about two years later.

Oh really? Im sorry, what is JLP? Is it similar to EPIK?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 09:40:01 am »

Jeollanamdo language program. But now we are under epik. Canadian connections is a recruiter that still hires down here though. Check in the jobs forum.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:52:15 am »

Jeollanamdo language program. But now we are under epik. Canadian connections is a recruiter that still hires down here though. Check in the jobs forum.
Oh interesting, I will take a look at it. Thank you!

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 01:29:36 am »
All these uptight restrictions were put there by the Park Geun-hye/Choi Sun-shil administration. A "liberal" Korean government has merely cut and pasted the previous conservative blueprint.