Read 821 times

Re: seafood grill buffet in seoul??? ne1 know?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 10:13:58 am »
How about not liking it because it's less comfortable than a chair. Is that acceptable?
Sure. I don't care for floor seating because I have a bad back, but that's just me. But if everyone else is enjoying it, I'd also understand the problem is with me, not them. And I wouldn't be like "What's the point of going to a restaurant just to sit on the floor?????"

But I do sort of get where you're coming from because more and more I'm thinking about how much I rip on couchsurfers and other kind of bum behavior and that's sort of the same thing although not directly.

It's just that I think a lot more people truly enjoy having a nice private bed than having someones dog wake them up in the middle of the night. Same with Korean bbq. People seem to truly and genuinely enjoy the whole experience and it's not just a way to save a buck.

How about not liking it because it's less comfortable than a chair. Is that acceptable?

Yeah, I don't give a toss if people sit on the floor but I hate doing it. It's super uncomfortable for me.

Call me prejudiced, but a chair has to be more comfortable than the floor, right? Even for someone who finds the floor fine? RIGHT??? hahaha

Not necessarily. If you've been raised with proper posture and flexibility, the floor should be just as fine.

Case in point squat toilets. Actual medical science says that the squat position is better for health and is the proper way, hence why the "Squatty Potty" is becoming a thing. Western toilets are actually poorly contoured for the human body.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:45 am »
a lot of korean people i know hate sitting on the floor in restaurants (young and old). a lot of korean people i know also hate using those squat toilets

both things are just not comfortable for a lot of people - even for people that have grown up with them

this is a weird discussion

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 10:29:58 am »
a lot of korean people i know hate sitting on the floor in restaurants (young and old). a lot of korean people i know also hate using those squat toilets

both things are just not comfortable for a lot of people - even for people that have grown up with them

this is a weird discussion

Have you ever heard a Korean person say they don't want to go to a particular restaurant because it has tables and chairs? Just curious. Of course DM will claim this is because they are generally superior people who don't whinge. Sometimes my wife sits cross legged on the floor in front of the sofa but I'm not sure whether that's because it's more comfortable or just nearer the TV.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 10:39:39 am »
Have you ever heard a Korean person say they don't want to go to a particular restaurant because it has tables and chairs?

Gross, I'll bet that they make you keep your shoes on, too.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 10:53:37 am »
Have you ever heard a Korean person say they don't want to go to a particular restaurant because it has tables and chairs?

Gross, I'll bet that they make you keep your shoes on, too.
I have heard people say they want to go some place "traditional", not explicitly stating sit on the floor. Although I have been with friends who specifically wanted to go to Japanese places with a tatami room, but that isn't quite the same.

Anyways, back to the whole "grill it yourself" thing, I really don't get why you don't enjoy it and get into the spirit of things.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 11:01:28 am »
Anyways, back to the whole "grill it yourself" thing, I really don't get why you don't enjoy it and get into the spirit of things.
because people enjoy different things?

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 11:02:13 am »

I'm sure you're a veritable Gordon Ramsay who knows exactly how long to leave everything under the flame and have never cooked a fish too short so it's raw in the middle or overdone scallops so they're like rubber. As a mere mortal I'd rather pay someone else to take on that responsibility when I'm in relaxation mode.

And it doesn't really bother me to the extent that if everyone else wanted to go, I'd refuse, I'm just saying if I had a choice between a conventional restaurant and a cook it yourself buffet, I'd choose the former. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:20:25 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 11:20:30 am »
Dude its samgyupsal and shrimp, not a souffle. Drunk ajosshis can pull it off.

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 11:21:51 am »
Dude its samgyupsal and shrimp, not a souffle.

I thought we were talking about seafood. Have you been to this restaurant in Bangkok he was talking about?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:24:00 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 11:22:44 am »

I thought we were talking about seafood.

I thought we were talking the idea of grilling yourself in general.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 11:29:08 am »

Sounds painful, Erysichthon:laugh:

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 11:59:02 am »

Sounds painful, Erysichthon:laugh:

This little back and forth is why I'm here. This is the content I need.

Thank you cashclay aka the king of only posting questions and almost never responding in the thread.

• cashclay
  • Super Waygook

• May 03, 2015, 03:51:12 am
    • seoul
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 04:54:22 pm »
Ummmmm.....  Thanks for those helpful recommendations....   I lll be checking out those restaurants

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 05:45:32 pm »
Ummmmm.....  Thanks for those helpful recommendations....   I lll be checking out those restaurants

I think if someone knew of one they would have mentioned it, in between arguments.

• saram_
  • Veteran

• March 14, 2012, 09:44:43 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 04:27:27 pm »