Read 964 times

• aczelusta
  • Newgookin

• October 18, 2012, 09:23:01 pm
    • South Korea
Working during "Spring Recess"
« on: February 11, 2019, 12:05:10 pm »
Does anyone have any clue about the laws changing recently for public schools? I heard some things about it and apparently now all of a sudden the law states that teachers need to come into work for 4 days during the Spring Recess. The spring recess is Feb 18-28 at my school.

My co-teacher brought this up to me on Friday. When I first started the job (March 2018) I was told that it was going to be off during the spring recess and we do not have to come to school during that time. And previous schools I worked at I never had to come in during that time.

I work for the Gangnam District and was screwed a few months ago when they decided to terminate the English Education Program for Elementary Schools (with SMOE taking over the district). So I needed to find a new job. I did end up finding one and they have an orientation Feb 26-28. I told them that was fine because I was originally told that I didn't need to come to work. But now it's frustrating because my co-teacher is telling me about these laws being changed and that teachers need to come in Feb 25-28.

She's telling me that maybe I can change the days to earlier or just take unpaid leave. What is the point of me coming in anymore after the student's graduation and when I'm not working at the school for the next school? And when probably no other teacher will be here during that time. How is it fair that I should take unpaid leave when they told me one thing all year long then tell me this after I get screwed by the district and had to find a new job?!

Has anyone heard about this?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:22:33 pm by aczelusta »

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Working during "Spring Recess"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:02:56 am »
Not sure why when they turn the hiring over to someone else they can't just transfer you.  GEPIK to EPIK and Gangnam to SMOE.  Idiots and retards.  It would make it so much easier and less work for them.  Morons.  Anwyays, I don't know what the rule is.  I typically take the last two weeks of Feb to chill out before the start of the new school year.  I take a week or two in January too.  I tack it onto Seollal and take a minimal amount of vacation in summer.  I just want to be a lazy ass in winter. 

• hloper2008
  • Waygookin

• November 15, 2015, 05:12:50 pm
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 09:50:33 am »
I actually got a message the other day saying the same thing.  I get the first week off, but the second week everyone has to come in to prepare for the new semester. The message was for all the teachers in my school though so I think they really do want everyone at school.

• aczelusta
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:57:31 am »
Not sure why when they turn the hiring over to someone else they can't just transfer you.  GEPIK to EPIK and Gangnam to SMOE.  Idiots and retards.  It would make it so much easier and less work for them.  Morons.  Anwyays, I don't know what the rule is.  I typically take the last two weeks of Feb to chill out before the start of the new school year.  I take a week or two in January too.  I tack it onto Seollal and take a minimal amount of vacation in summer.  I just want to be a lazy ass in winter.

Seriously! I even tried to go through Korvia to get back into EPIK to try an keep my job because I didn't want to change schools but they left me with no choice. I ended up doing all the EPIK requirements and doing the interview. I passed but since I was left with such short notice from the Gangnam district along with some miscommunication from Korvia. There was no telling I was even going to make 'the list' nor was I guaranteed I would be able to stay at my current school. It was madness. I ended up getting offered another position so I decided to take it because it wasn't worth the risk at that point. All the Gangnam teachers are qualified teachers, why not just transfer our jobs over to EPIK/SMOE so we could keep our placement? Especially after the unfair disadvantage we were at trying to scramble to get into SMOE to try and keep the job. Much later than the application process started for EPIK.

• aczelusta
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 12:02:39 pm »
I actually got a message the other day saying the same thing.  I get the first week off, but the second week everyone has to come in to prepare for the new semester. The message was for all the teachers in my school though so I think they really do want everyone at school.

Yea, it is supposed to be all teachers. But I don't understand how they make these laws randomly at the last minute. I lost my position unfairly and made plans to move on months ago. It's not my fault that they made these laws last minute and I planned to look out for myself. I wouldn't mind so much if I was staying at my current position. Just ridiculous that they expect me to do things considering the circumstances. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 09:01:38 am »

Seriously! I even tried to go through Korvia to get back into EPIK to try an keep my job because I didn't want to change schools but they left me with no choice. I ended up doing all the EPIK requirements and doing the interview. I passed but since I was left with such short notice from the Gangnam district along with some miscommunication from Korvia. There was no telling I was even going to make 'the list' nor was I guaranteed I would be able to stay at my current school. It was madness. I ended up getting offered another position so I decided to take it because it wasn't worth the risk at that point. All the Gangnam teachers are qualified teachers, why not just transfer our jobs over to EPIK/SMOE so we could keep our placement? Especially after the unfair disadvantage we were at trying to scramble to get into SMOE to try and keep the job. Much later than the application process started for EPIK.

Korea sure loves its bureaucracy and dumb processes sometimes.  They should have said, we are switching over to EPIK but we told them just to take the people currently working for us and switch them over automatically and keep them employed if we are happy with them.  It's stupid to make folks have to apply and jump through hoops just to keep the same job. 

• aczelusta
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:25:31 am »

Korea sure loves its bureaucracy and dumb processes sometimes.  They should have said, we are switching over to EPIK but we told them just to take the people currently working for us and switch them over automatically and keep them employed if we are happy with them.  It's stupid to make folks have to apply and jump through hoops just to keep the same job.

Yes they should have. I found out today that my school is getting a new to Korea teacher. I don't know his credentials or experience specifically. But I can only guess there's little teaching experience. I've been teaching in Korea for 7+ years! Haha, Oh well.

Makes me wonder if there were any elementary school teachers for the Gangnam district who were employed at their school for several years that got screwed out of a job by this.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:32:21 pm »
It's stupid to make folks have to apply and jump through hoops just to keep the same job.

Hell, even a different job.

Yes, Korea, I'm still a graduate of a university. That doesn't EVER go away.

I've also lived here continuously for the last 6 years, I'm STILL not a criminal in my home country in the meantime.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 08:46:44 am »
Does anyone have any clue about the laws changing recently for public schools? I heard some things about it and apparently now all of a sudden the law states that teachers need to come into work for 4 days during the Spring Recess. The spring recess is Feb 18-28 at my school.

My co-teacher brought this up to me on Friday. When I first started the job (March 2018) I was told that it was going to be off during the spring recess and we do not have to come to school during that time. And previous schools I worked at I never had to come in during that time.

I work for the Gangnam District and was screwed a few months ago when they decided to terminate the English Education Program for Elementary Schools (with SMOE taking over the district). So I needed to find a new job. I did end up finding one and they have an orientation Feb 26-28. I told them that was fine because I was originally told that I didn't need to come to work. But now it's frustrating because my co-teacher is telling me about these laws being changed and that teachers need to come in Feb 25-28.

She's telling me that maybe I can change the days to earlier or just take unpaid leave. What is the point of me coming in anymore after the student's graduation and when I'm not working at the school for the next school? And when probably no other teacher will be here during that time. How is it fair that I should take unpaid leave when they told me one thing all year long then tell me this after I get screwed by the district and had to find a new job?!

Has anyone heard about this?

You're leaving.  So, go to the orientation and tell them to screw off.  If they don't like it, tell them to call SMOE and sort it out with them.  It's out of your hands.  If they bitch, tell them it's their fault for not keeping you on and putting you out of work.  What are they going to do?  Give you a written warning or ding you for missing a couple of days since you're done on March 1st.  Go to the orientation and let them deal with their own shit.