Read 579 times

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2013, 02:52:52 pm
    • South Korea
What's life like in Suncheon?
« on: February 09, 2019, 06:02:13 pm »
I am applying for a job in Suncheon, just wondering what life is like there in general. How's the foreigner community and getting around?
Cheers

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: What's life like in Suncheon?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 07:31:06 pm »
For three years 2006-2009 I lived in a farming town 25 minutes away in a nearby province (Gyeongsangnamdo). I often took the near empty, infrequent bus to Suncheon on weekends. Most locals in the town I was in would take the very frequent 55 minute long bus ride to Jinju just to stay inside the same province (you would not believe the historical prejudice that still exists between Gyeongsang and Jeolla people).

Suncheon is a nice, compact small city with lovely walking and short cab ride core. It's part of an industrial triangle with Yeosu and Gwangyang. It is less stretched out (urban sprawl) than the coastal latter and a lot more charming than the steel mill former.

In Jeollanamdo, I like Suncheon the most among cities (Wando and Jindo are better imo, but are small towns on bridged islands); Gwangju is a nice city to visit for shopping and events but too big for me to stomach the traffic, commute, urbanity.

Suncheon is juuuust right!  :)

It's like Changwon or Jeonju or Chuncheon to name three other small cities I wholly appreciate in other provinces.

Note: There are frequent and cheap buses to big city Gwangju and to the capital Seoul. You could for under 50,000 won return go to Seoul once a month by comfy bus to attend special events or shop or whatever.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:36:05 pm by VanIslander »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:57:10 am »
For three years 2006-2009 I lived in a farming town 25 minutes away in a nearby province (Gyeongsangnamdo). I often took the near empty, infrequent bus to Suncheon on weekends. Most locals in the town I was in would take the very frequent 55 minute long bus ride to Jinju just to stay inside the same province (you would not believe the historical prejudice that still exists between Gyeongsang and Jeolla people).

Suncheon is a nice, compact small city with lovely walking and short cab ride core. It's part of an industrial triangle with Yeosu and Gwangyang. It is less stretched out (urban sprawl) than the coastal latter and a lot more charming than the steel mill former.

In Jeollanamdo, I like Suncheon the most among cities (Wando and Jindo are better imo, but are small towns on bridged islands); Gwangju is a nice city to visit for shopping and events but too big for me to stomach the traffic, commute, urbanity.

Suncheon is juuuust right!  :)

It's like Changwon or Jeonju or Chuncheon to name three other small cities I wholly appreciate in other provinces.

Note: There are frequent and cheap buses to big city Gwangju and to the capital Seoul. You could for under 50,000 won return go to Seoul once a month by comfy bus to attend special events or shop or whatever.

I lived there from 2007 to 2009 (another old timer weighing in), and it was one of my favorite places.  So much has changed in the city since then, though: much more development and much more tourism infrastructure (especially around Suncheon Bay).  I like to drive around the city with Daum Maps every now and again, and there are fewer rice fields and more high-rise apartments.  (That's not even counting the development in Yeosu for the Expo in 2012).

Anyway, it was and remains a pleasant mid-sized town.  If you want to hang around with other foreigners, you can; if you want to study Korean, you can.  It has lots of modern amenities, and---like most of Korea---is not very far from anything else.  It was always my favorite province because you were close to good hiking, good food, good temples, and the outlying islands.  People still email me asking for tourism tips, and Suncheon is attractive both for the sites and because it has a little bit of everything: urban areas, parks, mountains, western bars, traditional Korean food, etc. 
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:22 pm »
Awesome. Thank you for the replies.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:18:02 am »

I think you got your formers and latters mixed up  :laugh:

• MissDuwe
  • Newgookin

• February 11, 2019, 09:34:33 am
    • Yangsan-si, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 02:33:11 pm »
I used to live in Suncheon. I was there for a year. I loved it. If you really want to live in a big city, it's not the best, but I've found the people there to be nicer than in Yeosu and some other places I've been or lived. It's not small enough that you can't find everything you need, and being small, it's easy to get to the places where the things are.

The foreigner community were the best I've experienced thus far. I think it'll always feel like my Korean home town.

I hope you like it just as much! Good luck :)

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:53 pm »
I see they have a university. Anybody know what the university is like? Is there a good foriegner community attached to the university? Does the uni have good events?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:21:11 am »
I live 45 mins away from suncheon, and frequently go there on the weekends.
I'm not sure what the foreigner community is like, but I know they get together every now and then, especially when a new teacher transfers there.

I like it, it's one of my favourite cities in Korea. :p

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 01:54:04 pm »
I had an interview with the University today.  Wish me luck