Read 779 times

• cashclay
  • Super Waygook

• May 03, 2015, 03:51:12 am
    • seoul
Are there any korean type stores like costco??
« on: February 08, 2019, 06:57:27 pm »
i REALLY LIKE COSTCO AND i know theres on in seoul..  But i am wondering if there is any korean equivalent to it??  thanks

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Are there any korean type stores like costco??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 07:20:20 pm »
Emart Traders is a direct knock-off.

• Oupa Grey
  • Adventurer

• January 29, 2019, 10:56:47 am
    more
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:39:06 pm »

Except it has better products (IMO) and you don't need a membership card to buy there.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:55:21 pm »

Except it has better products (IMO) and you don't need a membership card to buy there.

The Costco membership is just to keep the riffraff out. It is 35,000 won - that is easily saved on my family's meat savings alone!

I do agree that Emart has higher quality goods in most cases.

They also have more flexible payment options (they take a wide range of credit cards, not just Samsung (soon to be Hyundai).

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 01:07:48 am »

The Costco membership is just to keep the riffraff out. It is 35,000 won - that is easily saved on my family's meat savings alone!

I do agree that Emart has higher quality goods in most cases.

They also have more flexible payment options (they take a wide range of credit cards, not just Samsung (soon to be Hyundai).
Never card for most of the e-mart traders products. IMO they were lower quality varieties of products popular at Costco and were higher priced.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 03:57:10 am »
  There was an actual Costco near Omogkyo Station in Seoul if I remember correctly.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:02:57 am »
I have tried Emart Traders and one opened a little over a year ago in my city but there's not much reason I can see to go there over Emart.  Judging by the weeknight crowds I'm not alone in that thinking.  There's also some place called Lotte VIC Club.  I've heard you have to join, but I've never been to one.  If you like Costco and don't live far from there I don't understand why you wouldn't just join.  It's hardly an exorbitant yearly fee.  Just do as the Koreans do and use the cups that come with the hot dogs to steal mustard to make up for it. 

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:12:47 am »
this was 7 or 8 years ago, but does anyone remember a place called "Vic" or "Vic's"? it was lotte's version of costco. i got a membership at one in the suwon area for 30,000. i only went a handful of times before i moved, but it had a great selection and good prices. always wished i had a bigger fridge so i could've taken advantage of some of the deals. after leaving the area, i haven't seen one anywhere in korea.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 08:15:59 am »
I have tried Emart Traders and one opened a little over a year ago in my city but there's not much reason I can see to go there over Emart.  Judging by the weeknight crowds I'm not alone in that thinking.  There's also some place called Lotte VIC Club.  I've heard you have to join, but I've never been to one.  If you like Costco and don't live far from there I don't understand why you wouldn't just join.  It's hardly an exorbitant yearly fee.  Just do as the Koreans do and use the cups that come with the hot dogs to steal mustard to make up for it.

didn't see your post before i made mine, but yessss thank god somebody has heard of this place. anytime this topic gets brought up in conversations i mention it and people think i'm crazy or lying lol
too many blueprints & not enough architects

• Seonghee
  • Newgookin

• March 04, 2019, 01:58:29 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 08:50:11 am »
there is real costco in Korea. If you live in seoul, you can find it Gangnam, and Yangpyeong.

• hangook77
  • Expert Waygook

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 11:09:45 am »
I have been to Traders and Costco up in Daejeon.  Both have their pros and cons, their unique products worth checking out.  I prefer Costco more and frequent it more.  But it is nice to occasionally check Traders from time to time.   I also check their No Brand stores up there for some decent stuff.  None of these stores are down south, except probably Busan I would assume.  I've never been to Lotte Vics. 

As for both Costco and Traders, they took my TD and RBC VISA cards.  In Canada, Costco only took my debit card and neither of my credit cards. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 12:07:19 pm »
I have been to Traders and Costco up in Daejeon.  Both have their pros and cons, their unique products worth checking out.  I prefer Costco more and frequent it more.  But it is nice to occasionally check Traders from time to time.   I also check their No Brand stores up there for some decent stuff.  None of these stores are down south, except probably Busan I would assume.  I've never been to Lotte Vics. 

As for both Costco and Traders, they took my TD and RBC VISA cards.  In Canada, Costco only took my debit card and neither of my credit cards.

Costco Canada takes all MasterCard cards, as well as Interac debit cards.

Does anybody know what the new policy at Costco Korea will be after May 25?

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 12:19:15 pm »

I believe it'll be cash, Hyundai Card, or foreign card.
Costco Canada takes all MasterCard cards, as well as Interac debit cards.

Does anybody know what the new policy at Costco Korea will be after May 25?