Read 788 times

Korean movies with English Subs resource? Netflix no good.
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:17:13 am »
All the Korean TV shows and movies on netflix that I want to watch don't have english subs.

Anyone have a good resource where I can watch some good korean movies with subs?

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Re: Korean movies with English Subs resource? Netflix no good.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:52:58 am »
http://www.subscene.com/

Will have a lot, most are decent, you might need to readjust the timing if you know how. Some aren't. There are actually communities that do subs for fun, that edit machine translated subs into something a lot more readable.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:55:16 am by pkjh »

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:36:25 pm »
Also, Netflix has gotten a lot better with having English subs for Korean content these days. Almost every drama I've checked has English subs.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
green everything

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 12:57:40 pm »
Also, Netflix has gotten a lot better with having English subs for Korean content these days. Almost every drama I've checked has English subs.

Yeah this is so true.  I was complaining to students about how Netflix has a lot of Western movies with Korean subs, but the Korean made stuff has no English subs.  They were surprised so I went to show them and suddenly all the ones that didn't have subs before suddenly had them.  I looked like and idiot, but I definitely know this is a recent change.  I was quite happy to see it!

• saram_
  • Veteran

• March 14, 2012, 09:44:43 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 09:37:45 pm »
www.kissasian.es is great.

Just watched all of Sky Castle.
Well worth watching.
https://kissasian.es/Drama/SKY-Castle/

• hangook77
  • Expert Waygook

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 03:18:58 pm »
They don't have English subs?  I have relatives in the US and Canada that watch Korean things and I think they use subs.  I don't have Netflix myself, so, I don't know much about it.  I'm just surprised is all. 

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:47:27 pm »
They don't have English subs?  I have relatives in the US and Canada that watch Korean things and I think they use subs.  I don't have Netflix myself, so, I don't know much about it.  I'm just surprised is all.

Last this was mentioned in a thread someone said it had to do with licensing or something?
Like, Korean Netflix has to get separate licensing or copyright (or whatevs) for the subtitles here in Korea. And since Korean Netflix is made to serve a Korean audience it probably doesn't make sense for them to buy/pay for English subtitles in Korea.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 04:34:54 pm »

Last this was mentioned in a thread someone said it had to do with licensing or something?
Like, Korean Netflix has to get separate licensing or copyright (or whatevs) for the subtitles here in Korea. And since Korean Netflix is made to serve a Korean audience it probably doesn't make sense for them to buy/pay for English subtitles in Korea.

Yes. Though I can't imagine subtitle licenses are a huge cost.

They have definitely started putting them more on the stuff they are adding now. But sadly not one of the Korean movies I look at and think might be interesting, have English subtitles.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• hangook77
  • Expert Waygook

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 07:50:42 am »

Yes. Though I can't imagine subtitle licenses are a huge cost.

They have definitely started putting them more on the stuff they are adding now. But sadly not one of the Korean movies I look at and think might be interesting, have English subtitles.

Well, that sucks.  I had thought of getting it so I can see what some of these shows are about. 
Too bad.

There are plenty of foreigners in Korea who would benefit by having them.  You guys start an emailing or customer service complaint campaign.  If they get enough complaints? 

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 12:23:36 pm »
I literally just watched Sky Castle and Memories of El Hambra with English subs on Netflix. So, uh.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 01:28:45 pm »
I literally just watched Sky Castle and Memories of El Hambra with English subs on Netflix. So, uh.

Yes, two recent adds to the netflix library. Which is what was stated exactly:

So, uh.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 01:34:11 pm »
Nothing that I want to watch has English subs either. So annoying.

I'm glad they're starting to add them to new stuff, but it's still pretty limited.