Read 320 times

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
Kindergarten - Elementary Hagwon vs Older students Hagwon
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:06:22 pm »
I'm currently working at a Kinder - Elementary Hagwon but the school is closing down at the end of the month so I need to find myself another job or pack my bags and head home. I'm kind of in two minds about whether to sign up for another teaching contract as, while I've only been here for 4 months, I can't say I've enjoyed the job so much that I'd jump at the chance to start a new 12 month contract.

So I'm currently assessing my options and one of those is to change from teaching at a Kindergarten - Elementary Hagwon to maybe applying for some jobs teaching older students. So I'm interested to hear from anyone with experience what it's like and how it differs to teaching the younger kids? I do have fun teaching kinder-elementary and as a first time teacher it has suited me well. However as you all probably know, a lot of the time it can feel like 80% classroom management 20% teaching.

I would imagine teaching older students, there's a lot more pressure as the content you're teaching is more complex. So it isn't just a case of working through the textbooks with them.

So what are some of the pros and cons?

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Kindergarten - Elementary Hagwon vs Older students Hagwon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 12:22:39 pm »
Just to add:

1. At my current school we are given the textbooks which we have to work from and we basically just plan out which pages we are going to cover each lesson, pretty much just progressing through the book chronologically. So lesson planning is limited to creating any extra material or activities you want to include. The main emphasis from the school is really on completing the textbooks though.

From anyone who as taught at an Elementary Hagwon or Elementary-Middle Hagwon, is there a lot more planning involved? Also this may sound strange but is there more pressure to actually 'teach' and what I mean by that is, at my Kinder-Elementary Hagwon now it sometimes feels a bit like the foreign teachers are there as the token english speaker and the bulk of the teaching, assessments etc is handled by the Korean teachers. We're basically just employed to converse with the students and help teach basic vocabulary and very simple grammar.

2. One of the other foreign teachers at my current school was telling me that we're lucky at our Hagwon because they don't have cameras in the classrooms whereas every other Hagwon will, and that directors/headteachers will watch your classes and call you out on every little thing that they're not happy with. Is this actually true? I know at my school my director watched my first 1-2 classes (sat in the classroom) and gave me some pointers but that was it.

Appreciate any help!

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: Kindergarten - Elementary Hagwon vs Older students Hagwon
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 08:01:51 am »
 How long do you have left in your visa. Contact Ez Match and ask to talk to Scott Jung. He always has some urgent jobs. You can get a letter of release and just tranfer seems like the easiest way to do it.