Read 5648 times

• TriKorea
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:17:19 am
    • Anseong City
Bike on the KTX
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:27 am »
Has anyone traveled through Korea with a bicycle? I'm headed to Busan and am taking my bike with me. Planning to take the train. Has anyone done this? Will I run into any troubles?

Thanks!!!! :)
www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

Re: Bike on the KTX
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:08:00 am »
While I've never seen anyone on the train, I have witnessed people stowing their bikes in the belly of cross-city (forgot the term, O where has my English gone!) buses.  I suppose it helps if it's a foldable bike, but I don't see it as particularly trouble some if it's not.
You get what you give :)

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:00 am »
As far as i'm aware i don't think you can. I havn't seen anywhere on the KTX where you could put a bike, and i've definintly never seen a bike on there.

Double check with the English speaking information line (dial 02-1330). they can check the website for you and give you a definitive answer.

So no basically.

When i want to take my bike somewhere i do as said in the above post, take the intercity express bus. The bike just about fits in the store under the bus....as long as an Ajumma isnt transporting 20 boxes of grass(ive seen it happen)

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:32:17 pm »
I have taken my bicycle on the train many times, on both regular Korail and KTX. Sometimes they ask you to take the wheels off so that it will fit in the luggage rack if the train is crowded, but not always - I've locked it to the handrail in the space between cars or outside the bathrooms and it has not been a problem.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:10:12 pm »
thats awsome, wish i had known that ...

thanks sjbee1249.

• maybemaybe
  • Waygookin

• March 14, 2011, 02:59:56 pm
    • Near Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:57:17 am »
This post hasn't been touched for a while but as the information differs quite a bit online, I'll share my recent experience.

I took a bike on the KTX from Singyeongju (one stop before Busan) to Seoul recently and had no trouble.  I took both the wheels off and put them, along with the frame, into one of the storage areas.  None of the rail staff had a problem with it.

So long as you're polite and smart (take your bike apart, lock everything down, be quick about boarding at the in-between stations), I don't think you'll have any problems.  8)