Read 353 times

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
Hagwon closing and short term contracts
« on: January 28, 2019, 10:53:34 am »
So I got the call into the directors office last week and was told that the school would be closing down at the end of February when the academic year finishes, due to financial troubles. Itís a very small, old school so they donít have enough students to keep it open.

Anyway, apart from stressing over how Iím going to get my money (as he still hasnít paid off last months wages and the next payday is next week). Iím also now unsure as to what Iím going to do. I know I could probably find another job quite quickly but part of me is a bit reluctant to sign up to another 12 month teaching contract. Iíll have been here 4-5 months when I leave this school next month and while I have enjoyed working at the school, the actual job of teaching doesnít motivate me to sign up to another years contract.

I currently work quite long hours 09:30-7:30pm which is one of the only real downsides to this job. So if Iím to sign up for another job Iíd definitely want shorter hours. As the main motivation for me to stay would be that I really like Korea and feel like I havenít had a chance to fully experience it yet with my life seemingly revolving around work. So Iíd want a bit more free time.

It would be absolutely ideal if there were 6-8 month contracts but I donít think these exist do they? As then Iíd always have the option to renew at the end. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Hagwon closing and short term contracts
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:35:51 pm »
sounds all right. you get to find a new job at peak hiring time, and it's much easier to find a suitable job if you're already in korea. not sure what documents you'll need to get from your employer if you're transferring jobs but you could try asking in the LOFT facebook group

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 12:25:23 pm »
So are shorter term contracts a thing? Or would I have to sign another 12 month contract? Are there certain schools/jobs which provide shorter term contracts?

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 04:20:49 pm »
yeah, doubt you'd get anything less than a year. must have missed that bit!